Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (no trolling)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to estebanana

A guy phoned me up today, saying "Is that Ron...?"
I said, (wondering who it was with an American accent.. ) .."..Yeah?..who is this?"

"Hi Ron...it's Michael...How are ya?"

"What??...From the Forum?"

"No...it's Michael Schlazinger in Florida, from Premier Secure Investments....How are you?"

"Hang on a minute...I'm not sure if I get this.."

"That's OK. I'm calling you to let you know of some really hot shares we have just acquired in a really fantastic company. Interest rates are really crap at the moment in the UK and everywhere and we have something here that could double, triple or even quadruple your investment in the first 6 months."

"Give my regards to everyone in the boilerhouse", I said and put the phone down.

Jeez...How did a boilerhouse in Florida even get my name and phone number?

Man...it's a jungle out there!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 18:08:52

XXX

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to Ron.M

Ron, he must have read all your posts about banks and stuff and decided to let you know about the ... really... hot... shares...
When thinking of spam mails/phone calls, this is the first thing that comes to my mind since i have seen it...

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 18:14:47

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 3 2011 21:13:52
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 18:32:38

estebanana

I'm glad we're back on topic here with the jokes and gripes.

Getting back to prime subject of this thread: One of the things I really hate in construction jargon is when people have renovation or remodel work done and they call it a "build out". I was walking past the window of an ice cream shop this morning on my way to Peets Coffee and I see a sign in the window that says:

We're closed now, please come back after our build out is finished, we will reopen.

First off, this is a f8cking clusterf8ck of a hunk of signage. It should read:

Thank you for your all your patronage, sorry inconvenience you, but we are currently closed for renovations. Please come back on ( date /time) to see our newly remodeled ice cream shop. We look forward to serving you soon.

So f8ck you for saying 'build out' which sounds like some pretentious jack azz is having delusions they are making a Taj Mahal to ice creams and double f8ck you for for not telling me WHEN you reopen. You f8cking ice cream dripping fu8cks.

There, I feel better.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 20:49:46

Ron.M

quote:

and double f8ck you for for not telling me WHEN you reopen.

And double f8ck you for having the nerve to make guitars with care and integrity.

That's the old fashioned way of doing things man....

Get in the groove and buy in some cheap crap and market them carefully at a good mark up and lie in bed all day and smoke dope...

You don't need an apprenticeship in wood craft these days....MARKETING and GOOD ADVERTISING is the new integrity now in the day of the Internet.

As the man said....sincerity is the most important thing in anything. Once you can fake that, then you've got it made.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 21:29:55

estebanana

I fear I'm becoming a flamencomedic gadfly.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 21:43:36

Adam

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to cRobson12

quote:

ORIGINAL: cRobson12

Yeah, but I am the guy who didn't follow everyone else in this experiment

Or in World War 2, the jewish guy

Yeah, so the Holocaust reference, kinda inappropriate. Just saying, dude.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2011 0:56:13

Pimientito

quote:

our build out

Now I understand your peeve when using this term to guitars a bit better.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2011 8:18:02

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 3:47:00

KMMI77

hey rumbaking,

I enjoyed your video and liked the way you asked people to settle down The guitars sound very similar to my ears, Your tone is quite aggressive so hearing the subtleties of the guitars is difficult for me. Anyway, thanks for making the video. I enjoyed hearing you play and seeing some of your personality. cheers

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 4:47:54

Yojimbo

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to KMMI77

Me too.

Something sensible about these guitars - and from someone who actually has some experience with them for once.

The universe is indeed expanding - to get away from this planet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 5:09:19

GuitarVlog

Thanks for the video rumbaking.

I'll let the more experienced members of the foro critique the tone. However, I do have to ask why you chose the Yamaha CG171SF as a comparative reference. I'll admit that I love my Yamaha as a student guitar and my very first flamenca, but it is considered to be at the bottom of the ladder among acceptable choices, particularly for those of us who must make careful choices with our discretionary income. Comparing most other flamenco guitars against the CG171SF is like shooting fish in a barrel.

The price differences are substantial too. The Yamaha, just before its discontinuation, sold for $300-$350 (I got mine for $280 new). I don't know exactly how much the Andalucian guitars sell for but my understanding is that they were marketed at above $2k (although I presume cRobson12 got his for $1k) and were asserted to compare favorably to luthier-built instruments (which would easily cost over $4k).

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 5:42:51

cRobson12

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to GuitarVlog

Guitarvlog, I didn't buy one
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 6:26:49

XXX

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to cRobson12

quote:

ORIGINAL: cRobson12

Guitarvlog, I didn't buy one

After this thread, id be surprised if you had to actually pay for one.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 10:02:16

Doitsujin

Hey rumbaking! (At first shame on you that you spend money for this Andalusian guitar! hehe *just joking*)

Very very nice video! I liked your comments. I liked the sound of the Andalusian guitar more than the first one you tested. That one sounded cheap. Well,.. both had not the greatest sound of all time but the Andalusian guitar made it IMO.

You could improve your sound a lot if you would pull the strings during arpegio more towards you instead of away from the guitar. I mean play with a flatter angle. And put less force in all of your techniques. That slows you down and makes it much harder to control your fingers + sound.

I didn´t follow this thread but I think you are right about that it is only a guitar. Just pieces of wood glued together. If the price is fine..,..its very okay to buy. Well,..if you have the money..its also okay to buy it overpriced. ^^

Well,.. the sound you recorded with your cam, without any engineering is faaaar away from the sound R.Diaz records with any of his 20 Andalusian guitars which he plays in his videos. There must happen some heavy engineering... It is a shame that he does commercials for these guitars with such an engineered-changed sound. Its not problem that he promotes them, but it is a problem that he sells a deceit. And its a shame that he says in every second sentence "thats Paco de Lucia´s technique"...

With all the rest I have no problem.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 10:21:00

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 12:16:30

[Deleted] (in reply to GuitarVlog

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 12:22:40

[Deleted] (in reply to KMMI77

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 12:25:15

Yojimbo

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

Well,.. the sound you recorded with your cam, without any engineering is faaaar away from the sound R.Diaz records with any of his 20 Andalusian guitars which he plays in his videos. There must happen some heavy engineering... It is a shame that he does commercials for these guitars with such an engineered-changed sound. Its not problem that he promotes them, but it is a problem that he sells a deceit. And its a shame that he says in every second sentence "thats Paco de Lucia´s technique"...

Do you have any actual evidence of sound engineering, or are you just talking out of your ass like many others here who have no experience with these guitars.

I'm sorry, but criticizing someone's reputation like that based on outright speculation is a bit over the top for me. But then, this is the wild west internet, where anyone can say anything about anybody with no repercussions.

The universe is indeed expanding - to get away from this planet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 12:43:05

mezzo

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to Yojimbo

quote:

But then, this is the wild west internet, where anyone can say anything about anybody with no repercussions.

Especially when the Sheriff is corrupt

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 13:09:10

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

A guy phoned me up today, saying "Is that Ron...?"
I said, (wondering who it was with an American accent.. ) .."..Yeah?..who is this?"

"Hi Ron...it's Michael...How are ya?"

"What??...From the Forum?"

"No...it's Michael Schlazinger in Florida, from Premier Secure Investments....How are you?"

"Hang on a minute...I'm not sure if I get this.."

"That's OK. I'm calling you to let you know of some really hot shares we have just acquired in a really fantastic company. Interest rates are really crap at the moment in the UK and everywhere and we have something here that could double, triple or even quadruple your investment in the first 6 months."

"Give my regards to everyone in the boilerhouse", I said and put the phone down.

Jeez...How did a boilerhouse in Florida even get my name and phone number?

Man...it's a jungle out there!

cheers,

Ron

On a side note:
Eventhough being no member of facebook, neither elsewise connected to it, I received an e-mail a while ago, inviting me to join FB, listing friends of mine who were FB members already.

I asked some of these friends afterwards, whether they had mentioned my name or mail-address on facebook and it turned out that they didn´t.
And even if they had; where from would facebook know that the other people listed are acquaintances of mine?

How come all these IT companies that ever get major ( Microsoft, Adobe, Yahoo, Facebook ...) always seem to assist US services with collecting people´s personal data?

Looks as if you had to count with them knocking at your door the minute you succeed as an internet portal or application, huh.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 13:47:44

M.S.A.

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to Ruphus

..their first and only responsibility to the user is to collect all his data whatever he does anywhere. Whoever believes otherwise is a perfect example of a human being they want to create as a prototype for the others to copy and follow. Porky display of ignorance as a model for behaviour in the new world.. they are creating for us. Let us all connect on social networks everywhere and everybody, so we all will be transparent, will disclose all personal identification marks, habits, tendencies, psychological patterns and all relevant data. Creating atractive online environment they indirectly make us move our real lifes to the internet so we all start to live online eventually more than in reality so everything will become available online.

So if you are not on FB you deffinitely are on GOOGLE and Youtube, which is sort of GOOGLE now. having an e-mail account on Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail detto. But most of these stuff is going through AI and only when necessary people get involved. It's not a secret that AI automatically compares e-mail accounts of your friends and attaches them to any online activity it can and concludes, who else is missing and where, in order to get more plastic and complex picture.

So, privacy is a great IDEA... but it belongs to early 1900...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 14:43:50

Florian

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to vuduchyld

quote:

I'd love to buy the best guitar I can personally try, but unfortunately, that would be a Cordoba 30F for $329.99 at the Guitar Center 45 minutes away. Eff dat.

I will probably have to buy something online to replace my crappy Eterna (off-brand Yamaha) classical.

dont worry amigo ..we all had crappy guitars at some point...my first guitar was a $50 valencia from a second hand shop...you'l keep upgrading till one day you get what you like

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 14:47:43

GuitarVlog

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to Florian

@Rumbaking
I was thinking that the Yamaha was probably your old gigging instrument. I noticed the plug in the lower bout.

I've seen two other performers using this guitar. It seems to be a popular gig instrument when amped.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
dont worry amigo ..we all had crappy guitars at some point...my first guitar was a $50 valencia from a second hand shop...you'l keep upgrading till one day you get what you like

We all have to start somewhere.

The important thing is to get started.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 14:53:15

M.S.A.

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to Guest

Hi rumbaking, great attempt for serious comparison, this guitar is seriously sounding better than Yamaha that you used in the video. But I would much rather see AG being compared with some higher end guitar and by a studio mic. That would most likely make some sense, but I believe only for AG oponents...

A lot, of course can be adjusted with perfect technique and production of quality sound. That really helps to someone with less expensive guitar. Some foro-members here know exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes there is an attempt to show some sound demonstration of a quality luthier guitar on YT and one has to hold his horses not to comment something really nasty to the person, cause often they have no idea in the world how ''not to scratch strings painfully on the surface'' so it really hurts ears or how to play gently and softly... and actual sound of the guitar gets really suppressed with the unnecessary noise. Guitar's soundboard should get a chance to vibrate, to get warmed up and woken up by resonance of the strings - so it contributes to showing the guitars best potential. Most of the times, however, people show the lower and less valuable aspects of the guitar as they are unable to use it the way guitar wants herself, so to speak. But necessity is a mother of invention as we know, and believing that each guitar usually has her own individuality or personality - unless it is really a chinese factory cloned one - I believe it can be woken up. If you love your guitar and find a way how to make her produce the loveliest tone possible, then, it will only benefit you, your technique later on and you'll also find a lot of different things that are related to it.

We have seen some already, that promote AG without having right technique and in attempt to forcefully disqualify a good guitar like Conde beating **** out of the poor string with his concrete firm pulgar and in such a manner, that even Vicente Amogo's Reyes would have become a piece of useless wood...

just take a look

What for example prof.Ruben did last time when he was giving everyone master-class advices about how the guitar should be set up, sound etc., and he compared the old Barbero [48?] with his plastic sounding AG I couldn't believe my ears and his conclusion about the result. Barbero sounded much more like a guitar and AG sounded exactly the way what it is meant to sound like... - a mediocre student paracho guitar. I have reason to believe that my ears are really good when it comes to sound quality and distinguishing good from less good or worst guitar. Unfortunately he must have pulled down this video that I am talking about coause it is no longer available, but I couldn't find it. But that one was a real vintage Barbero.

But however

I wouldn't like to hurt your feelings and I hope I will not if I just express my sincere opinion about it. But I am insisting on some reason and common sense when it comes to promoting these ordinary guitars as real jewells, that apparently are not. And I don't care what some student of prof. Ruben will say, cause he manipulates them into believing they hear what is not there in reality. Same practice in lot of personality cults. Placebo effect in music.

I have a great and reliable and cheap guitar that is so far away from possible comparison with any AG model that it is not even funny... And still it is considered a student model. I wonder what would the comparison look like between Reyes model.SGC of the same guitar maker and AG [highest possible quality]...

In my very humble opinion I believe that AG's grid-like bracing system is very limiting for their projection and limits the resonance of the grains in the soundboard. Could sound quite different if the braces were made differently.

all the best

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 16:10:29

XXX

Diaz does not edit the sound on his videos, it is even a f* camera mic he is using. Its not "pro" sound, its camera mic sound. It sounds good, because Diaz can play and the guitar is not bad, but its camera mic sound.
Compare the sound of his videos to Todds Alegria video.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 16:15:08

M.S.A.

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to XXX

Obviously he is, no doubt, I haven't seen any condenser mic around him anywhere and it looks like some of his students assists him with making these videos. And if guitar sounds reasonably well, you might even use crappy web cam and you will be able to say, "that is a good guitar" if it is. But so far, whatever recording means were used to capture AG played by whoever I was never happy with what I heard. Just go to lasonanta and listen to Rezar Dominguez when he demonstrates good guitars how a difference it makes. Last time I wanted to listen to AG hoping he might have some of his guitars recorded as well, but unfortunatelly I only found again just prof. Ruben's old video, not satisfying at all. So how can anyone have any good idea about it?? Should I buy one to try it?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 16:27:36

mezzo

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to M.S.A.

Rumbaking, for a good test you need :

1. 4 different guitars : the yamaha, the AG, a high end manufactured that cost about 1000-1500$, a luthier handmade guitar (this last is important).

2. Playing the same things on each guitar (not necessary a piece. Just a simple chord with a slow downstroke with thumb, an arpegio, some easy rasgueos...nothing fancy! just some clean and slow notes. Maybe a super basic falseta).
The test is about the guitars not your toque.

3. same mic (not video), same rec environement.

4. Provide the RAW files. Not youtube compression.

5. Make it blind. No indication on what guitar is what...This is the funny part

Thensubmit it here for the expert advices. I bet it will be funny...if you keep it blind

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 16:56:15

M.S.A.

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to mezzo

Agree. It could become very interesting (:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 17:11:07

rombsix

RE: "Andalusian" Guitars (... (in reply to Guest

quote:

And finally here's the link to my video.....

Olé mate! I don't care about the Yamaha or the Andalusian. I care about what you were playing, and the charisma you had and the personality you conveyed (for an example regarding the personality/charisma, see the end of the video below ). Seems like you're a really fun person, and you really get into the groove when playing, which I think is what flamenco (and guitar) is all about! Awesome stuff!

How old are you mate?

Cheers!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2011 18:31:54
Page:   <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread