Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Curious..One Piece Backs..   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

Curious..One Piece Backs.. 

I noticed a link on Bernabe's guitars the other day (he will be missed), and I kind of liked that one-piece back....

Pros and cons??

http://www.classicguitar.com/07Bernabe_lg.html

R

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2007 1:24:53

nhills

RE: Curious..One Piece Backs.. (in reply to Ramón

I doubt that this is one piece - it's almost certainly two pieces without the usual inlay between them (or at least covering the joint).

I like it too.
Norman

"The duende is God's orgasm." - Antonio Canales

"I'm just a poor crazy man in love with his art." - Santos Hernandez (as translated by R. Brune)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2007 2:20:43

Ramón

Oh! I know it's 2 pieces, I just sort of called it 1-piece.

I'm kind of drawn to the look, as the grain is the draw, not the dark strip down the back..

Just kind of afraid of that cheapy, knockoff look you see in department store guitars, etc...

But I liked it when I saw it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2007 2:34:29

TANúñez

I like this look better than the traditional with a glued center strip. With no strip you only have one gluing edge, if you sandwich a center strip, you now have two gluing edges. I would say a back with no center strip would be stronger. But what do I know?

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2007 3:06:51

Ramón

So NOW I'm wondering what the heel strip would look like.....!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2007 4:34:54

TANúñez

Your heel strip can a piece of rosewood which would be easier. It'll be a bit more difficult to do it like Bernabe did in the photo but if you can pull it off it would be nice.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2007 14:06:50

Jim Opfer

Just my opinion but I don't like it.
Looks weak and strange with the grain clashing into nothing really.
There's an aesthetic basis for traditional detail, same in Architecture. Not to say it can't change, just that it has to be understood before it can be messed with and this one doesn't do it for me.
Sorry!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2007 22:55:12

Patrick

DeVoe does it on his negra's with a simple ebony heal cap, but uses a center strip on his blanca's.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2007 23:18:19

r0bbie

I am not a luther but I have build 2 1/2 guitars so far and I wonder why you would need a center inlay in the first place.

I read in a lot of documents that the glue is stronger then the wood and I have tested it. Just glue two peaces of wood together and try to break it (from dictionary) in the glued seem. It wont happen. Its always in a weeker part but not the glued edges.

The top is also glued and there is no reënforcement in centerseam. Also with repairing cracks, people use patches but why? The crack is stronger with the glue then without.

Maybe its the (old) hide glue thats week and has to have the patches or the inlay in the back but with the strong modern glues? I just dont understand.

I am not ignorant because I did use the patches for a crack that I repaired on my own guitar but it makes me wonder if its realy necessary.

Maybe I have to build 100 guitars without the patches and then wait when the first one comes back with a crack to see for myself that you need them but for now I dont understand why I am using them.

I have a 8 years old guitar just like the one that shown above and the first crack was in the side, not the back...

Anyone that can shed some light on this?

Rob.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 0:03:47

TANúñez

RE: Curious..One Piece Backs.. (in reply to Jim Opfer

I think the look of the one piece back looks much nicer on a negra. Especially if you have some really nice figure. Cypress is kind of boring to look at so it does look plain with no center strip.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 1:51:58

TANúñez

RE: Curious..One Piece Backs.. (in reply to r0bbie

quote:

I am not a luther but I have build 2 1/2 guitars so far and I wonder why you would need a center inlay in the first place.

I read in a lot of documents that the glue is stronger then the wood and I have tested it. Just glue two peaces of wood together and try to break it (from dictionary) in the glued seem. It wont happen. Its always in a weeker part but not the glued edges.

The top is also glued and there is no reënforcement in centerseam. Also with repairing cracks, people use patches but why? The crack is stronger with the glue then without.

Maybe its the (old) hide glue thats week and has to have the patches or the inlay in the back but with the strong modern glues? I just dont understand.

I am not ignorant because I did use the patches for a crack that I repaired on my own guitar but it makes me wonder if its realy necessary.

Maybe I have to build 100 guitars without the patches and then wait when the first one comes back with a crack to see for myself that you need them but for now I dont understand why I am using them.

I have a 8 years old guitar just like the one that shown above and the first crack was in the side, not the back...

Anyone that can shed some light on this?

Rob.

r0bbie,

The patches are used to counter act with the pulling of the wood. The grain on the patches is going the opposite way as the grain on the top so when the top starts to pull, the opposite grain on the patches will help counter this. Things are done for a reason. I think that since these patches have been used for decades, there is probably a good reason for it.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2007 1:55:30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll