Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Counting Bulerias   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: Counting Bulerias (in reply to Jon Boyes

This is exactly what I was trying to say with my somewhat tongue-in-cheek post earlier.
I really struggled hard trying to understand Bulerias rhythm, as Jon did.
It's only when you get clear of the fog, that you see (the basics) as a helluva lot more simple than you first thought.
But people translate that above sentence as meaning "right...I've found it" and ask for "the formula" to be downloadable in one simple sentence, like it's some "key" or something.
The Ultimate Formula, that can be printed on a tee-shirt.
The truth is, Bulerias can be as simple or as complicated as anyone wants to make it.
There is no "key".
But it's not magic.
You have to make some inroads some way...ANY way.
Read what folk are saying, but as someone pointed out, people are saying thing about different styles and in different ways.
That's why I said maybe get a hold of Ricardo's video or see a teacher or something.
It's just a waste of time to try to explain it in words.
All this talking of numbers and odd sixes etc will just overheat your brain.
Just start somewhere, maybe clapping or tapping along with cante records or something and expand from there.

[Zen Mode]
Imagine if you (and your guitar) were captured by the Red Injuns (*) on a stagecoach ride across early America.
The Tom-Toms are playing an unfamiliar rhythm...not one you can easily associate with "Daisy,Daisy..Give Me Your Answer Do..."
They are about to tie you up to the stake and light a fire underneath you.
Suddenly, the Chief (who has been looking at the guitar and trying to work out if it's a Devil White Man's machine for firing six arrows at the same time says..
"What this?"
You say.."It's a musical instrument....for making tunes...yeah?"
He looks at it and says, "Play tune..."
Meanwhile the Tom-Toms are drumming louder than ever....
What are you going to do?
Try to fit in with their rhythm?
Or play "Daisy, Daisy" ?
[/Zen Mode]

cheers

Ron

(*) Native Americans ...(Big John Wayne has a lot to answer for.. )

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2006 20:20:50

Ricardo

RE: Counting Bulerias (in reply to Jon Boyes

Fun huh? I also liked what Jon wrote. And Miguel as well. Both are right, well said, too bad it doesn't make sense to many.

For the record, I can tell when folks have internalized 12,3,6,8,10, because they get stuck in that pattern forever, and also, they often speed up the 7,8,9,10 bit of the compas for some reason, and never lock it in to other grooves. Not sure why, but I think it has to do with the challenge of feeling odd and even numbers of beats in the same phrase. Half compas don't need to be "counted", it is a really easy feel, and when you realize bulerias in 12 is just 2 of those, things get really easy in terms of grooving.

It would be good for students to learn to do palmas for bulerias, using their foot too. (foot)1&2,THREE,4,5(foot)7&8,NINE,10,11(foot)etc. When going fast if you cant' get the "&" in there it is OK, just clap the numbers. But accent the 3 and 9 always. Eventually you realize that 3 and 9 are the same, so half compas is easy to feel, and all bulerias styles in general.

http://michaelk101.com/todd/toddmp3/jerezpalmlong.mp3

Ricardo

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2006 21:40:06

Anders Eliasson

RE: Counting Bulerias (in reply to Ron.M

Great upload Ricardo.

I´m going to practize with it later. I might have to play it using the slowdowner though

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2006 8:14:35

sonikete

RE: Counting Bulerias (in reply to Ron.M

I made some edits links and clarifications in my posts in this thread, sorry to anyone who printed it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2006 19:13:31
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post