Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Saddle adjustment   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mentrida

Saddle adjustment 

Hola everyone,

I just ordered a couple of bone saddle blanks to play with. My guitar has the current saddle compensated at the G string. I plan on keeping the same setup as the luthier (If I learned something from everyone here is not to mess with the luthier's choice or play with the originals ' '), but it got me wondering.

How come I don't see many flamenco guitars with such an adjustment and what does it do??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2006 21:59:56

Ramón

Saddle adjustment - pic 1 (in reply to mentrida

Here's 2 shots of a saddle I just made for another blanca. The treble side is higher, and the G is compensated, but I use D'Addario Composites, so we'll see...

I know many of you know how to do this, so forgive me, but I know there are/were discussions about this to bring up trebles in a Negra, etc...

This may be a little more than I want, but I've found it's easier to sand down than to 'put back'....

R

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2006 3:49:44

Ramón

Saddle pic 2 (in reply to mentrida

another shot...

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2006 3:50:49

Garyw1960

RE: Saddle adjustment (in reply to mentrida

Hi

Saddle compensation allows the guitar to play in tune up the neck so a open e when fretted at the 12th fret also gives an e. This for some reason is a real problem on the "G" string on steel string guitars so compensation is built in at the nut or saddle

There are others here who will have differing opinions. (several of whom are very experienced luthiers and well worth listening to).

I have researched this and like you have not seen many, if any, classical/flamenco guitars with a compensated saddle.

The saddles are angled on flamencos and classicals and this has a gives the compensation. What I mean is a 650 scale does not have the saddle at 650 at the high E and 650 at the Low e. A Discussed and tried formula is scale length * 1.0065 for the bass side and scale length * 1.0024 for the Treble side.

Taking a 650 scale as an example.

So nut to saddle on the high e would be

650*1.0024=651.25mm

and on the Bass side

650*1.0065 = 654.5mm

Now if you have a lower bridge height then this may be different and also if you use differing tension strings then this may cause problems it depends how accurate you want to be, I doubt whether us mortals would be able to hear a difference if the saddle was fractionally out.

This is a decent start point but not the only way to do it.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2006 4:49:20

gitano1974

RE: Saddle adjustment - pic 1 (in reply to Ramón

Ramon..

What's really the effect of compensation at the G string ?!..I always read about it but never came really to know what it does..

Gitano
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2006 4:55:45

Ramón

Like everything, sometimes it works and sometimes there's little change. It adds 1mm to 1.5mm - sometimes up to 2mm - of string length - depending upon bone thickness in your saddle.

One of the reasons the Ramirez guitars had so much volume was the 660 (665?) scale lengths (so I'm told)....

I just tried it on one of my guitars here. Worked on one, not this one. Also, the raised (this is about level on the current one) saddle seemed to diminsh the trebles when I just tried it (the one in the pics above) a few minutes ago, so I put the original back in immediately...

R
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2006 6:03:55

mentrida

Thanks everyone! Like always, it's the little things that make one wonder .

Ramon, That looks very professional. Great work like in the rest of your guitar. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I expect it will sound as great as it looks.

I sanded one saddle last night and increased the treble side to be even with the Bass (2.5 mm accross the 12th fret). I failed to make the adjustment on the G string. Being my first one, I just kept it simple. I must say that it seems to have added some volume to the trebles and it seems to resonate a little more. Note sure if its really the case, or just wishfull thinking after working at il late at night .

I'm planning on doing another one with the compensation and lowered some. I'm getting a craving for that old style buzzing which my guitar is perfect for.

Now, if I could just get my playing to improve over night, I'd be in business...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2006 18:52:59
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post