Foro Flamenco
Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.
This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvir, Philip John Lee and Craig Eros who went ahead of us too soon.
We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Knobloch flamenco black nylon strings (Luna Flamenca)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

AndresK

Knobloch flamenco black nylon string... 

Hello. Has anyone tried these strings? It intrigued me that they come in low tension and they have a fancy name for their black nylon (Azabache). Of course they are a lot cheaper if someone lives in Europe, they seem very pricey in stringsbymail, but Matt there has a good opinion about them. Here they cost less than D' Addario composite sets.

There is only one video on youtube but with another luna flamenca set with their regular SN nylon where Chicuelo plays.

Anyone with any experience? If not I will take the chance and buy a set to review for the foro.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2022 12:09:50

ric

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to AndresK

I am also curious about these, and if you have the money, I recommend the sterling silvers even if you try them once in a lifetime.
I'm not sure if I cared for the trebles in the video, let us know what you think!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2022 16:40:57

AndresK

Ok I just ordered them. Not the sterling of course, sorry.

I will let you know when they come and share my opinion. I am currently trying again, after many years, the D Addario EJ25b. Not so bad as I remembered. Many positive things on them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2022 22:17:54

[Deleted] (in reply to AndresK

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2022 10:13:49

Morante

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to Guest

Jerónimo Pérez gave me a set of Knobloch. I put them on my guitar and threw them away after 2 days. The professional tocaores I know all use Savarez Alliance. So do I.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2022 16:40:12

mt1007

Yo AndresK,

They are good man. Both black and clear trebles. If you have a blanca that is very bright use the SN trebles, somewhat bright go for the AZ trebles.

Grab a set and try for yourself is my best advice...

Haters gonna hate man....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2022 8:17:11

AndresK

Ok. They arrived today and I immediately put them on. More detailed review with some sound samples maybe the next weekend after they have settled. I have to give them some decent time to judge. First impression: Very nice and strong basses, especially for a light tension set, very crispy too. If they also have the standard Knobloch life span they will last long enough to justify their name. The price for Europe is almost as Savarez New Cristal Cantiga. They cost 14 euros and D'Addario EJ25B goes 17,5 euros. Definitely I like them better than the D'Addario black EJ25B. As expected they are very easy to fret with quite a good volume.

The trebles.. I will wait and see. I always feel the black trebles hold some of the sound for themselves and not giving it out. They are sweeter that the EJ25B that have an almost unbearable 1st string the first few days, and a bit closer to the La Bella 2001 black, but not the same. I also get a bit of strange buzzing on the second string when on the 5th 6th and 7th fret, something only Aquila sugar normal tension did to this guitar. I think that these might be the last black trebles I try (meaning I will go back to others) after having tried black trebles from La Bella, D'Addario, Luthier, Aranjuez and maybe something else I forget.

And what a strange statement on the back of the package
"For guitarists looking for a homogeneous, dark, muted sounds between the basses and the trebles."

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (3)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2022 23:19:23

AndresK

Here it is:

guitar: V.Lazarides blanca

0:00 Francisco Tárrega - Recuerdos de la Alhambra
2:24 Verano Porteño - Astor Piazzola
3:26 Francisco Tárrega - Lágrima
4:34 Francisco Tárrega - Adelita
5:23 Sabicas - soleá
7:49 Jerónimo Maya - Tango
10:05 Paco de Lucia - Guajiras de Lucia
12:40 simple buleria compás
15:25 Francisco Tárrega - Capricho árabe
17:53 Agustín Barrios - Vals No.3
19:40 Isaac Albéniz - Asturias
22:44 Vicente Amigo - Vivencias Imaginadas
25:57 H.Villa-Lobos - Prelude No.5

Things that might not be heard in the video: The Knobloch LDA 31.5 is a very easy and relaxing set to play on, as it is low tension. You can actually bend easily the bass strings! (not that you need it, but it shows how easy they are). Their volume is quite nice and loud for a soft set, and especially the basses are marvellous and produce a very definite and clear note, making them some of the best basses I have ever tried! The trebles of this tension produce some unwanted buzzing even for a flamenco guitar (that you actually want buzzing) on my second string, so for this guitar they are not the best match. Maybe this particular guitar needs a bit higher tension.

Hope this video helps!

The above is the description from my channel. Now for some comments especially for the foro:
The basses are amazing, and really some of the best I have ever played. The trebles.. not amazing. They are better than other low tension trebles that I have played like lets say the Augustine classic, in terms of volume, but not overall. I am not comparing them to the La Bella 2001 flamenco low tension trebles because La Bella uses the exact same trebles as their medium tension set. The Knoblock Azabache nylon (that's the way they call their black nylon) is very elastic and that is why the 2nd string on my guitar has too much buzzing above the 5th fret, something that only happened with the Aquila sugar normal tension only in the past. To avoid this sitar buzzing I have to play picado very close to the bridge when trying to play loud. In arpegios, no problem. If you have low action, that is the case in most flamenco guitars, I would suggest to test a bit higher tension for the trebles. I really like those basses compared to the Knobloch classic double silver in medium tension that felt stiff especially on the 6th string. The trebles have a round, warmish sound, I would say, and not muffled. The first string sound very full especially if consider their diameter.

If I see anything more I will let you know.

Cheers!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2022 23:40:33

AndresK

Quick update on the buzzing of the second string that I mentioned. It is gone after I switched the string and got the tuner side to the saddle. Weird thing, it seems that the excess buzzing was not a matter of elasticity as I assumed earlier.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2022 19:19:28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post