Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: In your locality – what’s it really like?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

chester

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

: over here life is hard. Covid just keeps on spreading, and I'm the only one here who wears a mask. I'm surrounded by idiots who just won't wear one.

Are you in lockdown? What are the rules there?

Ok Piwin, are you going to tell him?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2021 6:27:53

Piwin

quote:

Are you in lockdown? What are the rules there?

Are you talking to me or to ?

For Madrid, let's see, the rules keep changing so tbh I'm not sure I'm up to date on all the specifics. Tbh I've probably been "overdoing" it, in the sense that there are a lot of things I just don't do anymore even if they're probably allowed now. Rules we've had for a long time include things live a curfew (11-6, just got moved up an hour so now it's 10-6), restrictions on how many people can be in certain indoor spaces at the same time, etc. But everything is open during the day and you can go walk about and all that. A new restriction they've added is that you can't have people over, except, apparently, if you live alone.

There are areas in full lock-down, with restrictions similar to what you're describing, but it's done per health district. Right now I think there's 1 neighbourhood in Madrid ciudad that's closed off like that (fortunately, not the one I live in). Most of the full lock-down areas are outside of the city.

Stay safe up there!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2021 13:49:02

mark indigo

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to Piwin

quote:

Are you talking to me or to ?

speak to the mask cuz the face don't care!

"everything is open during the day" wow! but there's a curfew? Is that because the virus is more spreadable at night?

here there is no curfew as such, but as you are only supposed to go out for essential supplies of exercise there's nothing to go out at night for... not sure if the 24 supermarkets are still open 24 hours but if so we could go shopping after midnight - woohoo!

a friend of mine is very cautious, has all their food shopping delivered and wipes every item down before putting it away.

i really miss going out to play for dance classes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2021 20:13:01

Piwin

In France right now they have a curfew that starts at 6 in the evening... Sounds insane to me. I don't know how people who work can even just get their grocery shopping done.

Back when this started in Feb/March last year, my plan was to go to the Carrefour Market store that's not too far from here. It's open 24/7. Since I usually get up early, I figured I could hit the store at 6-7 in the morning and avoid other customers. And of course then for whatever reason they decided to change their opening hours so they were no longer open in the early morning... oh well.

But in the larger scheme of things I'm pretty lucky. Honestly the biggest problem for me in all of this is just that it gets a bit lonely sometimes... oh well. It is what it is.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2021 21:37:55

rombsix

Loving the shower curtain...

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2021 19:40:23

ernandez R

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to rombsix

Nice. In the US it was found shocking that church choirs had almost 100% viral transmission so the shower curtain makes sense, or rather it’s better then nothing and shows consideration of others and a determination to keep living. Olé

Listened a handful of times whilst prepping some bomber moose ribs to bake, spices and thick Salk on the tops, 30 min broil then three hours covered with water to slow bake, later into the BBQ out in the porch for some carbon and sauce induced goodness.
Hands told me last night hat they would need to take a day or two off :/
English Covid varent has been found in our state so there is some concerns even if our infection rate is 10% what it was four weeks ago, it’s not over yet by a long shot, history tells us this is true. Our state, Alaska has the highest per capital vaccine rate in the US: we have less then one million souls in all...

Say, should start a new, I am going to... after I get vaccinated thread. Travel is high on the list that’s for sure, had planed to visit a few luthiers before all this started: ED, nor cal, Tom down in Tx... starting to get excited about getting out!

HR

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

I prefer my flamenco guitar spicy,
doesn't have to be fast,
should have some meat on the bones,
can be raw or well done,
as long as it doesn't sound like it's turning green on an elevator floor.

www.instagram.com/threeriversguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2021 21:05:37

Piwin

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to ernandez R

quote:

Say, should start a new, I am going to... after I get vaccinated thread. Travel is high on the list that’s for sure

For now, in Spain I don't think they're making any kind of exemptions for those who have been vaccinated. I.e. if you live in a quarantined area you can't go out even if you're vaccinated, if you arrive from abroad you still have to self-quarantine for X amount of time, etc.

But assuming it does clear up some, I guess the first thing I would do is go visit my parents, whom I haven't seen (in person anyway) for about 18 months now. The second thing I would do is move out of Madrid.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 13:36:02

Richard Jernigan

Here in the Austin area a number of agencies are vaccinating people. The bottleneck is getting an appointment. You sign up on a web site. When vaccine arrives and your place in line comes up, you are notified that appointments are available. Then there is a mad scramble for a time slot.

Austin Public Health was using a commercially available scheduling app that couldn't handle the volume of requests. As soon as appointment availability was announced the site began to malfunction under the volume of sign-ins. You could spend hours trying to get one of the open slots. I finally got one for the afternoon when the ice storm hit. After there were two 26-car pile-ups due to ice on the road at the same spot on a major freeway I canceled my appointment and hunkered down for the freeze.

I was on five different waiting lists. The second one notified me that spots were open. I signed on and snagged an appointment at the University of Texas. Yesterday afternoon the line outside the facility was two blocks long when I showed up a half hour before my appointment, as advised. The line moved right along. They had 15 people admitting clients and scheduling second doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. About 40 nurses were giving shots. All the people working were relaxed and cordial. After the shot you sat around for 15 minutes in a "socially distanced" area. A couple of times for each person a nurse came by and talked to you, checking for serious after effects. Then you were on your way back to the free parking garage.

The University appears to be better organized than the city and county where I live, or either of three adjacent counties.

A couple of weeks after I get my second shot I plan to celebrate by getting a haircut. It will have been more than a year since the last one. My hair is a few inches over my shirt collar in back, longer than it was in 1969. I can pin it back, but it's not really a decent pony tail. Checking out Ricardo's shoulder-length "do" I detect years of dedication.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 16:58:02

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin
But assuming it does clear up some, I guess the first thing I would do is go visit my parents, whom I haven't seen (in person anyway) for about 18 months now. The second thing I would do is move out of Madrid.

Because of Madrid? Because of the pandemic? Because of the combination? I have always enjoyed visiting the city for a week or two, but have no experience living there.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 17:01:26

kitarist

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

My hair is a few inches over my shirt collar in back, longer than it was in 1969. I can pin it back, but it's not really a decent pony tail. Checking out Ricardo's shoulder-length "do" I detect years of dedication.

He was rocking the 'pandemic "do"' years before it was cool

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 17:56:58

Escribano

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to ernandez R

What does moose taste like compared to beef steak?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 18:27:34

Escribano

Vaccinations make no difference to travel locks at the moment, nor should they as the data on transmission is vague, at best.

You arrive vaccinated but you bring the virus. Testing is much more important in travel and vaccination makes do difference, as it protects you but no-one else.

Then you have the horrible spectre of vaccine passports, so you can go on holiday. A British obsession, because the weather there is really crap.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 18:33:36

Fluknu

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to chester

Here in Switzerland things have been up to "canton" (like a really small state) to lock or not, according to the numbers. Here in the french speaking part we've had a serious lockdown since nearly last march. But we can always go wherever we want. No restrictions or stay at home thing.

Now, what I see, is that this is starting to really takes it's toll on people's mental health. Kids at school are totally wired, teachers don't know how to manage them. Psychologist and Psychiatrists are fully booked for then next 100 years or so :) And many people start to disfunction.

A good exercise to stay balanced.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 18:53:04

BarkellWH

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Then you have the horrible spectre of vaccine passports, so you can go on holiday. A British obsession, because the weather there is really crap.

I have heard the idea of "vaccine passports" bandied about, but I don't see the necessity for them when the already universally recognized "International Certificate of Vaccination" (ICV) the yellow booklet approved by the World Health Organization, is available. Marta and I have so many vaccines noted in our ICV booklets from our Foreign Service career and assignments that you would think we look like pin cushions.

Marta received her second dose of Pfizer vaccine today, and I received my first. We not only received a CDC card noting the vaccinations, they were also noted in our ICV booklets at our request for use in future foreign travel. I would hope that other countries recognize the ICV notations on the Covid-19 vaccines.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 21:19:54

BarkellWH

quote:

A couple of weeks after I get my second shot I plan to celebrate by getting a haircut. It will have been more than a year since the last one. My hair is a few inches over my shirt collar in back, longer than it was in 1969. I can pin it back, but it's not really a decent pony tail. Checking out Ricardo's shoulder-length "do" I detect years of dedication.

Marta received her second dose of Pfizer vaccine today, and I received my first. Neither one of us has been to a barber/hairdresser for this entire year of lockdown. Even when they opened up with protocols to be observed, we did not want to take the chance. So we have learned (after a fashion, so to speak) to cut our own hair and have done so three times.

We found the hardest part is cutting the sides, as they never come out even. One side appears a bit shorter, so you cut a little more off the other side in an attempt to even them up, but you invariably cut it a bit shorter than the first side, and so it goes until it is all shorter than anticipated.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 21:30:35

Escribano

RE: In your locality – what’s it... (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

I would hope that other countries recognize the ICV notations on the Covid-19 vaccines.

I too have had many vaccines to travel to remote parts, but that was to protect me from a known concentration and to not bring it back. My point here, is that it does not clear you if you are bringing the virus with you. Data on C19 vaccine onward transmission is vague.

Quite simple, but totally lost in all the noise.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 22:31:20

BarkellWH

quote:

My point here, is that it does not clear you if you are bringing the virus with you. Data on C19 vaccine onward transmission is vague.

I understand and agree with your point about transmission not being well-understood. I was replying specifically to your noting the "spectre of vaccine passports." It is that possibility that I was suggesting was unnecessary (and redundant), as it is already covered by the International Certificate of Vaccination.

I did not mean to suggest that a "vaccine passport" or the ICV would necessarily be a guarantee against transmission. It would simply be evidence that the bearer has been vaccinated against Covid-19. If a country just requires evidence of vaccination, the ICV should do without requiring a second document or "vaccine passport."

If the goal is to deny entry to travelers until we know more about how the virus is transmitted and have a means to determine that in individual travelers, we are in for a much longer travel lockdown. And maybe we should continue a lock on travel until we develop the means to detect the possibility of transmission. Travel does not give one the right to spread disease.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 22:51:35

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

What does moose taste like compared to beef steak?

My first taste of moose was at age 11 on our 12-day road trip from Oklahoma City to Anchorage, Alaska. North of Edmonton, Alberta the pavement ended at Lesser Slave Lake. We stopped for dinner and spent the night at a big comfortable log building. The establishment was owned by a French Canadian, who also worked as chef. The main course that evening was a delicious moose meat pie. The crust was thick and flaky. The filling was seasoned like an American pot roast, the meat in bite size chunks. The chef, dressed in flannel shirt, "tin" pants and logger boots served it, along with an account of the hunt the day before when he bagged the moose. It was midsummer.

When I was in Alaska in October and December of 2018, locally raised reindeer was at least as common on the menu as beef in Anchorage and points north. Compared to moose it was mild but flavorful.

Some of my memories of eating moose are not especially fond. My Anchorage Junior High School home room met in the cafeteria. When we saw a moose carcass hanging in the kitchen in the morning, we had hamburgers for lunch at the drugstore across the street.

In the depth of winter there were miles-long stretches of the Alaska Railroad where the snow formed vertical walls six or eight feet high on either side of the track, with just enough room for the train to pass through.

If a moose was on the track in such a stretch, the train crew had no choice but to kill it and load the carcass into the baggage car. By the time the train arrived in Anchorage the carcass was likely to be frozen. It would be donated to one of the schools in town.

In mid-winter the moose were half starved, the meat was dry and tough, and it tasted very strongly of the spruce and fir foliage the moose had been subsisting on. There were often plentiful bone splinters from the moose's encounter with the train.

I'm sure ernandezR's preparation was far, far better than public school moose!

While we visited a half dozen families of my ex-wife's cousins in Norway, at one excellent dinner we were served "elk" roast and gravy. That's what they call moose in Norway. It was flavorful, tender and delicious. Its flavor and texture were different from beef, but not "gamy" like a Texas white tail buck in late season.

That visit was in midwinter. The moose had wandered into an apartment building in the northern edge of Oslo, and could not be safely herded out of the building. Its panicked attacks were dangerous, so the police had to kill it. The story made the morning paper. I have no idea why it was not half starved like Alaska moose at that time of year. We didn't ask our hosts how they came by the meat--but they seemed to be well connected.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2021 23:36:27

Piwin

quote:

Because of Madrid? Because of the pandemic? Because of the combination? I have always enjoyed visiting the city for a week or two, but have no experience living there.

I'm not sure. I've enjoyed my time here. The city has a lot to offer, and the people here have been very good to me. I suppose in the end it just boils down to me feeling like trying something else. That feeling was already there before the pandemic, and I suppose the travel restrictions have amplified it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2021 21:43:00
Page:   <<   <   3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post