Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Reyes plan - doming   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Echi

Reyes plan - doming 

I finally decided to make a new solera in order to make a new flamenco guitar for myself following the Reyes plan - but I got stocked with some questions about the right amount of the top doming.
It looks like a moderate doming across the bridge, but my question is more about the main area of the doming.
I tried to be clearer: is the top flat in the area between the bridge and the main/transverse bar at the hole?
I actually have 2 very good guitars (a Gerundino and a José Lopez Bellido) and the Reyes plan to follow as model but my doubts are still there so I though to ask for your advice.
Do you have any infos about the amount of top doming in the Reyes guitar? Do you usually dome your top across the bridge area?
Thanks in advance
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2014 11:07:28

El Kiko

RE: Reyes plan - doming (in reply to Echi

i think a good guy to talk to here would be Tom Blackshear, i believe he has made Reyes guitars before and would there fore be aware of all of the problems , things to consider etc ..

2 nice guitars you have , i never played a gerundio before ..you should put up a video of them to see / hear maybe ....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2014 12:08:12

constructordeguitarras

I don't know about Reyes guitars in particular, but in general the lower harmonic bar--the one at the bottom of the soundhole--is curved, and the fan braces are curved in the direction perpendicular to the harmonic bar and run from the lower bar through the bridge area. Therefore the area below the lower harmonic bar, including the bridge area, is domed.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2014 15:35:00

Echi

Thanks for your replies in advance.
I understand from your words that the doming (perpendicular to the harmonic bar and the bridge axis) gently shades towards the harmonic bar which is slightly curved (few millimeters).
I measured my Gerundino and it's exactly like you said (and possibly is curved the 2nd harmonic bar under the fretboard as well).
Last year I took the measures of a pair of good Conde guitars and it seemed to me that the harmonic bar was almost flat, instead. I couldn't swear it anyway.
According to you is it the same for the Reyes?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2014 16:41:56

TANúñez

RE: Reyes plan - doming (in reply to constructordeguitarras

quote:

I don't know about Reyes guitars in particular, but in general the lower harmonic bar--the one at the bottom of the soundhole--is curved, and the fan braces are curved in the direction perpendicular to the harmonic bar and run from the lower bar through the bridge area. Therefore the area below the lower harmonic bar, including the bridge area, is domed.

This is correct and how I do it. However, if I am not mistaken, I think the Reyes top of basically flat with only a slight dome just behind the bridge. I believe a small shim is used in this area when bracing the top, to give the top a slight dome in this area. I have built off of this plan doming it the way it was mentioned above and have had good results too.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2014 12:52:21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll