Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Where do I start?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Sr. Martins

RE: Where do I start? (in reply to cookieshoes

Iam writing words here. Is this theory?

No.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 19:23:08

n85ae

I would say that for me it is difficult to learn Flamenco, because all of my materials
are non-human, (i.e. books, dvd's, etc.) so while I can practice stuff that IS
Flamenco, my ability to play Flamenco is not so good. I play a lot of stuff that is
"me", and to somebody not in the know, will sound Flamenco. However I know the
difference. The music I play is "Flamenco inspired Jeff". Some reasonably good,
some not so good.

So while I can conceptually understand Compas, and even get it to a degree,
I still think you still need the human teaching element to play real flamenco.

A human can tell you, "well yeah that's technically In compas but it's NOT
Flamenco, and here is why" ... whereas I cannot tell the difference from
paper.

If that makes sense.

Regards,
Jeff

quote:

Ultimately the original question was whether or not someone can learn compas without listening to a player, or having that player show you. The answer is that you can learn compas without actually having to travel to Sevilla, by simply picking up some sheet music or a book explaining those compas. And that "explanation" will most certainly be written out using notation and concepts from music theory.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 19:27:03

cookieshoes

RE: Where do I start? (in reply to Sr. Martins

Listen to music and get a teacher if you can.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 19:28:39

Sr. Martins

quote:

If you can put it on sheet music, that's theory.

I win
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 19:33:51

cookieshoes

RE: Where do I start? (in reply to n85ae

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 19:37:57

cookieshoes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 19:39:16

n85ae

I do exactly this all the time, BUT after all these years on the Foro one thing I know
for sure, is I don't know much about Flamenco. I can play some Falsetas pretty well,
but sit a singer next to me and I would be at a total loss. :)

quote:

But can you learn compas, pratice falsetas, and actually get pretty good at the style? Of course you can.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 19:49:11

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

This statement is indefensible. The issue here is that you don't know enough to know how wrong you are.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 21:14:39

Erik van Goch

RE: Where do I start? (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pgh_flamenco

The issue here is that you don't know enough to know how wrong you are.

A nice dutch expression is "Not hindered by any knowledge of the subject ...." :-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 21:41:40

cookieshoes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 22:30:41

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookieshoes

You have no idea what my background is

Well we can all be sure it's not semantics.

quote:

because it's a pissing match

Now I am not suggesting that you are performing less well than you believe, that would be unnecessary. However you should note that some of the colour is starting to leach out of your smarties.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 22:42:19

cookieshoes

RE: Where do I start? (in reply to guitarbuddha

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 22:45:57

guitarbuddha

I think Ill keep my shoes dry. Leather can be terribly unforgiving.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 22:50:08

cookieshoes

RE: Where do I start? (in reply to guitarbuddha

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 22:56:58

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

Are you serious? You have no idea what my background is.

The only thing indefensible here are comments like yours, where you provide no backup. I've made it more than clear that I know what I'm talking about.

What, should we talk about Schopenhauer's theories on Metaphysics and Music? Atonalities? Music and Cognition? Music and Wellness? Theories on Harmony?

I am serious and comments like these make it clear you do NOT understand the subject.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 23:00:19

guitarbuddha

When someone aggressively demands that you make them laugh only a fool responds.

But you sir are generous enough to furnish me without even being asked.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 23:03:19

cookieshoes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 23:11:52

cookieshoes

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Oct. 21 2013 16:30:01
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 23:14:39

Erik van Goch

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Oct. 16 2013 23:41:02
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 23:35:40

Sr. Martins

quote:

Question: What is the difference between music notation and music theory? Can you read and write your music without knowing any music theory?

Many people dont read or write music and know their theory pretty well. Some genres (like flamenco, fado, popular music, etc) are traditionally passed on with its own kind of theory. Of course you can analyse it in a more "western theory-based" way but that only adds up to the point that theory is just...theory, a way of explaining something that happens in a systematic way (or something like that).

I thought you were trolling a bit but now I believe you have issues. You're not very coherent either so Iam not really expecting for you to pay attention to what I just wrote but hopefully it will clarify anyone who might have gotten lost with all this nonsensical bla bla bla that you've provided.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2013 23:44:12

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

Come on then friend, respond. Prove where I am wrong.

If you're so confident, it shouldn't take much, should it?

Come on, enlighten me.

I don't see how comments like these help the OP or add anything positive to the topic of this thread. By now it should be clear to you that most of the people who posted in this thread disagree with you.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 0:06:44

cookieshoes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 0:28:08

cookieshoes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 0:36:11

Sr. Martins

You keep stating that sheet music is theory and that is, besides misleading to begginers, plain wrong.

Beginners can and should have a theoretical grasp at counting measures/beats, note placement and all that... but that doesnt mean they have to read any music at all.

More often than not, the "sheet music players" know nothing about music theory, just the basic "this is a chord, this is a jump of a third, etc etc"... and that ain't no theory.

Notes and chords aren't theory by themselves, its what you theorize out of them that can be called a theory (makes sense uh?).

Now dont try to tell me that words are grammar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 0:47:57

n85ae

Minor correction cookieshoes, it all deteriorated after you made this statement.
below.

quote:

I realize you don't think so, however your statement is not correct. After that the
thread turned bad.

Simplistically I think what they are trying to say is:

What you hear is - music.
Trying to explain what you hear is - theory.
Capturing it on paper for reproduction is - notation (i.e. sheet music).

Because - If you can put it on sheet music, that's theory. - Is simply NOT
a true statement.

Best Regards,
Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 0:48:43

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

While not at all a prerequisite for learning theory based things like compas (which technically you can learn from books alone - at least the basic understanding/premise) listening to good Flamenco is of course a great benefit and part of the journey.

Let's not forget this littlle gem. Do you really believe this?

quote:

That's funny, because if you read my original post, I offered constructive advice on how to get into Flamenco...

You offered incorrect advice--nothing more, nothing less.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 0:58:30

Erik van Goch

quote:

Compas are time signature/rhythm. That is as theory based as key signatures, harmonies, and scales.

Strictly speaking you might be right but i like to believe compas is a little bit more then just counting beats. Every note and musical phrase has a relation to the compas and if you mistreat that relation you play out of compas, even when the time signature/rhythm is correct. You can even play "out of compas" when you play the correct notes on the correct place but without the correct feeling.

I once had to play a very simple compas variation of soleares for Paco Peña. Already on the second note he stopped me claiming it was out of compas. I played it again and again and again and every single time he interrupted me on the first or second note claiming it was "out of compas". How can 1 or 2 opening notes be out of compas??????

Years later when i re-listened the recording my first reaction after hearing 1 or 2 notes was "out of compas". What was wrong with it was that i played the first note(s) out of context... i played it because i was supposed to start the piece so i played the first individual note fallowed by the second and was "out of compas" for no other reason then that i gave those 2 notes the wrong feeling. All i had to do was to look over beat 1 and 2 to beat nr. 3, giving these 2 notes a direction and a relation in stead of being 2 stand alone notes being played on time but "out of compas".... i simply had to add the promiss of beat 3 in beat 1 and 2.

This brings us back to the statement you can learn a language from paper, but without ever HEARING the correct pronouncement the change you speak it correctly is close to zero. Can you read Chinese, Perian and Russian out lout the correct way? Still it written the correct way so what's your problem? You mentioned counting as well like 1+1=2. Still i tend to believe most people have to be introduced to counting by visually adding/subtracting apples or whatever example you use to visualize concepts like adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplying. If you give 10 newbies without any concept of figures or counting a book with dry calculations (1x2=2, 2x2=4 etc) i don't think they will know how to pronounce it, let along use it.

You don't have to go to Spain to learn flamenco but you have to hear/see a lot of good examples on record and/or dvd before you can even begin to understand the correct interpretation and sound. My father produced the very best flamenco transcriptions known to me but even he believes monkey see monkey do is the key element in learning flamenco. Still whenever Bach is raped i don't blame the score, i just bless the limited amount of people who are able to translate it to music again.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 1:01:42

n85ae

Great explanation.

quote:

Strictly speaking you might be right but i like to believe compas is a little bit more then just counting beats. Every note and musical phrase has a relation to compas and if you mistreat that relation you play out of compas, even when the time signature/rhythm is correct. You can even play "out of compas" when you play the correct noters on the correct place but without the correct feeling.

I once had to play a very simple compas variation of soleares for Paco Peña. Already on the second note he stopped me claiming it was out of compas. I played it again and again and again and every single time he interrupted me on the first or second note claiming it was "out of compas". How can 1 or 2 opening notes be out of compas??????

Years later when i re-listened the recording my first reaction after hearing 1 or 2 notes was "out of compas". What was wrong with it was that i played the first note(s) out of context... i played it because i was supposed to start the piece so i played the first individual note fallowed by the second and was "out of compas" for no other reason then that i gave those 2 notes the wrong feeling. All i had to do was to look over beat 1 and 2 to beat nr. 3, giving these 2 notes a direction and a relation in stead of being 2 stand alone notes being played on time but "out of compas".

This brings us back to the statement you can learn a language from paper, but without ever HEARING the correct pronouncement the change you speak it correctly is close to zero. Can you read Chinese, Perian and Russian out lout the correct way? Still it written the correct way so what's your problem? You mentioned counting as well like 1+1=2. Still i tend to believe most people have to be introduced to counting by visually adding/subtracting apples or whatever example you use to visualize concepts like adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplying. If you give 10 newbies without any concept of figures or counting a book with dry calculations (1x2=2, 2x2=4 etc) i don't think they will know how to pronounce it, let along use it.

You don't have to go to Spain to learn flamenco but a (local) teacher can make a huge difference and at least you have to hear/see a lot of good examples on record and/or dvd before you can even begin to understand the correct interpretation and sound. My father produced the very best flamenco transcriptions known to me but even he believes monkey see monkey do is the key element in learning flamenco. Still whenever Bach is raped i don't blame the score, i just bless the limited amount of people who are able to translate it to music again.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 1:19:04

Ruphus

This is a field which to my understanding Ricardo covers very well, and which he usually knows how to explain to the point.

I used to know a guy in Cologne who had studied music theory academically. To me, as the sheet illiterate that I am, always a very impressing field.
The stuff the man was composing on his keyboard however was the most infantile schlager patterns you could think of, though he sure must have known what he was doing there.

Personally I call notation "theory" as well, but acurately the definition of it in the way given in a post above ought to apply. The theory serves to extract principles and similarities, helping to overlook and recognize structures.

Basically including what happens when compas is being learned by hearing the ideal.

Hence, something that I think could be done per notation, albeit when cramped with all kinds of tempo and emphasis related signs. But the efficiency of conveying compas and phrasing through notes alone should be uncomparable to learning from ideal and through inspiration.

And in the realm of final subtleties of performance it seems notation must pass altogether.

That ought to be why the docus on master classes that I have seen featured reknown didactical staff and performers instructing advanced students on phrasing.
There was almost no teaching about technique or ergonomics ( which the students seemed fit with already ), but all about sequential tempo and emphasis.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 1:33:36

Erik van Goch

Very well said as well

quote:

Meter and Rhythm are foundational elements of music theory, plain and simple.

You can write out any Compas using sheet music. That is theory.

Were the Compas in Flamenco originally created using theory exercises? Of course they weren't. But that doesn't change the fact that we can learn any compas we want by simply writing it out first, and then playing it by reading the notation. Is it better to listen to a player, when it comes to things like "feel"? Of course. But that is neither here nor there when you're talking about the actual elements of what you're trying to do. The elements are explained with....wait for it....theory.

What is not theory-based are things like Sabicas' particular touch/tone, or the timbre or inflection in the voice of Camaron de la Isla. You can't write those things out, you have no choice but to hear them yourself.

But for things like rhythm and meter, you can tie them back to theory, because that's where those elements fall, whether the original composers or players ever used them that way or thought of them that way.

It's like observing a culture who can speak a language that they taught themselves, and because nobody else knows the language but them, it's their own thing. But that doesn't mean we can't still say that they are using "words" and "sentences" and "syntax". And eventually we can break that language down and learn it, using those core concepts. Those things are as inherent to language, just as music theory is to concepts like rhythm and time signatures, which are what Compas are.

As I said, of course the Flamenco Masters didn't approach it from the classical side of theory. Neither does the average kid learning the electric guitar. Doesn't change that what they are doing is still possible to tie back to theory.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2013 1:46:43
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post