Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: "Luthiers share your creations" thread   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   15 16 [17] 18 19    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Jim Kirby

John,

I think we are talking about two different cultures of foresters. I said foresters, not slobs who degrade the environment. I would not call them foresters. Foresters are those who want to harvest from the forest, and like good farmers respect the land and how they steward it.

I would agree about many logging practices in the US, it's corporate and they don't care how they comport them selves or what they leave behind. Sorry they f-ed up your chanterelle spot.

In South America, in Brazil in particular the land has a history of is governed by the military and now paramilitary protectorate force to keep poachers from taking trees. There have been foresters in the best sense of the word like Chico Mendez who tried to work out ways to manage the forest to the advantage of those who live there, grew up there and really realistically should have that land as their cultural patrimony to forest and farm as they need. Those kind of guys in Brazil, like the thousands of other guys throughout Latin America who fought for fair right usage of their ancestral land usually get murdered. It goes way, way back to the times when American fruit harvesting companies first started to control the forests in Latin and Central America. It goes back farther to the Spanish Colonial times, but that is not a practical way of looking at it and has too much historical baggage.

United Friut, the company that introduced the banana to North America, set a pattern in Latin America of controlling local politicians and killing anyone who would not do as they wanted to keep a strangle hold on the forest products and fruit they exported. Every time a forester would step forward and say this is not fair, we are Guatemalans or we are Brazilians we should administrate our own lands, they would be killed. It happened over and over and over and still happens to this day. These guys were the real environmentalists in those regions because they wanted to manage the forests and fields of their own lands without being forced into unfair labor practices, slavery, and poverty. Now what has replaced United Fruit and the big US rubber harvesting companies are local politicians, land barons and despots who gained power through the systems set up by the US corporations. The systems are just Brazil owned and Guatemala owned now.

The harvesting of these woods is big argribuisiness now, the CITES documentation further complicates the relationship between harvesters and final user by adding a layer of certification that can be bought and sold. The CITES documents really don't mean anything except that those who are in a position of power to grant them are liable fall into to all the temptations to act illegally as in any situation where an inordinate amount of power is granted to a few groups or people. In the US when you want to bring down a competitor you out sell them, take legal action against them ect. In Latin America it's the same, only add bribery and murder to get your company ahead.

I'm not involved that world, but I understand it from an intimate point of view because I have family members involved in Latin American economic policy and business. I have seen my uncle siting on his living room sofa sipping a cortado being bribed by corporate "busybodies" to look the other way in his evaluation reports of projects his "shop" would fund or not fund. In the US it's all about the same, they take guys to dinner, wine and dine them, bribe them and offer them gifts. However in Latin America add kidnapping and murder as things you also have to consider if you chose not play ball. This has made me fairly cynical about the wood trade and how I think about Brazilian rosewood.

My observations are simply my observations, I don't seek out that wood for those reasons. I'm not judging anyone who chooses to use that wood. I choose to use more common woods which are easier to move across international borders and less documentation laden, and I'm happy with my choices.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 2:19:08

aarongreen

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to estebanana

I feel I need to clarify my point regarding "environmentalists" and their attacks on the lutherie community. First point is simply that if anyone thinks this is going to stop with Brazilian....you are probably in for a big shock. Pretty much all woods are going to be on CITES sooner or later. Anyone thinking that their Indian rosewood guitar is never ever going to mistaken by an overly zealous customs agent for Brazilian is not thinking like an overzealous and undereducated customs agent. Personally, not a bet I'd take.

The issue is not the ban of trade in fresh cut wood or the prosecution of poachers and those who buy wood from them. The issue is the blanket application of these laws that do not take into account old stocks and a real world solution to allow those pre existing instruments to be kept in circulation. IF it was legal when the wood was cut or the instrument built....then it is absolutely unconscionable that the trade or usage of these materials be illegal and subject to insane penalties.

Here's the point, never at any time in the discussion of protecting these species...did the guitarmaking community object. Simply did not happen. What did happen is a fringe environmental group in the US decided that we needed to be taken out and they went to FSW and raised the alarm of the illegal trade in a banned and protected species. They opposed any exemptions being made in the Lacey act, knowing full well that plenty of builders have legal wood they bought years ago or were brought into this country years ago. Remember that obtaining CITES exemptions was for all intents and purposes impossible, unless you have receipts back to the tree. Even the label on a guitar was not enough proof for CITES.

The ban on D Nigra was an international trade ban. It is still perfectly legal to buy within the US or any other country, at least as far as CITES is concerned. That does not supersede your local government, so this now varies from country to country. What Lacey does though is shift the burden of proof on you to prove the wood was not poached....even if it was cut when it was legal to do so. So figure that one out.

Now if you think this group that went after luthiers is doing good work, think again. The spearhead was a woman named Ann Shackleton. She was at the ASIA convention and even tweeted about kicking the furniture industry's ass at one point. Lovely gal. After the ASIA convention she was hired by Bob Taylor to oversee his ebony cutting empire in Africa. So it was just a question of money and power for her... he bought her off and sent her very far away.

My biggest issue with the opponents of modifying Lacey and CITES to allow for us with old stocks and older instruments is simply that they offer nothing to improve the situation in these countries, such as Brazil or Madagascar. They just ban it and hope the problem goes away. What they have done in Madagascar is create a market that has one buyer, the Chinese and they are buying at firesale prices, from what I hear. So the problem is now worse. I for one think all developed nations need to put their money where their mouth is, stop blaming a group that uses less than 1% of all cut timber in the world and address the problem squarely without creating patsies.

But thats just me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 3:45:16

estebanana

Well I'm glad we sorted out the difference between Lobbyist Tools and Foresters who wish to work with the land.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 9:46:55

Ruphus

With the purchase of a piece of African wood, I had not really thought through and fooled myself into hopefully buying something legitimate. ( Admittedly, so exited about the guitar to be built that I didn´t want to go into it all too conscientiously.)

However, rethinking the matter now with the discussion here, I remember articles which after all quasi illuminated as questionable any trade of tropical / subtropical woods and supply from primare forests.

Reforesting isn´t really what it is intended to be, as reforested areas will not replace primare forest. Similar with selective cutting that may leave the ground harmed with exception of the rare cases of dragging trunks out with the help of horses ( which again I assume is only practiced in secondary woods. Guess over ground roots in primare forests would hinder dragging of trunks) ...

And even the most noble of projects like those where concerned people donate for foresting up will not contribute to the CO2 balance in the ways expected.
Don´t quote me on exact numbers, but if I recall that right a seedling will first of all emit CO2 and yet at the age of 30 years start embeding more carbondioxyd than emitted and release more oxygen than consumed.
( Which also leaves questionable tree farming as trees there will mostly be harvested before such an age of growth.)

Correct me if I´m wrong.
-

Question:

I suppose there is no retail that you could obtain exotic woods from with actual certainty of it coming from farming*, or at least from reforesting projects?

Question 2:

Is it that the only way to ensure yourself of not being involved into the destruction of last primare forest refuges, by accessing excluvely humble species from your neck of the woods like pine and northern hardwoods?
-

Or what would you suggest for consumption without deserting?

Ruphus

PS:
* Suppose after a mere 40 years of environmental concern and even much shorter history of farming of hardwood trees, there be no quarter sawn sheets broad enough to serve as guitar back, will there?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 10:53:47

estebanana

quote:

PS:
* Suppose after a mere 40 years of environmental concern and even much shorter history of farming of hardwood trees, there be no quarter sawn sheets broad enough to serve as guitar back, will there?

\

Plywood works fine.

Perhaps we should begin a new discussion if we take on the project of talking about the future of wood vis a vis guitar making?

Here: http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=243112&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 12:02:21

Ruphus

Sometimes like now I spy out your banned posts in my e-mail folder.

I must have expressed incorrectly. What I meant was the present time and the size of hardwood one might be finding now from plantations ( if at all).
How old might the oldest plantations be meanwhile, maybe 25 years or so?
I assume harvesting hasn´t even began, and if, the trunks might not be thick enough yet for to be used for guitar making.
-

I am uncertain about effects of back and sides ( with my limited experience).
On the one hand ( and the historical demonstration aside) there´s that example of a classical guitar on youtube, built of paper mache ( B&S) and sounding impressive ( of the rather dry timbre).

On the other hand it appears as if indeed materials for B&S had something in common concerning the product / guitar. Like the swinging treble overtones with maple, or the velvety sound with rosewood.

However that actually be, I do trust that a good luthier can produce very satisfactory if not stellar instruments of almost any sort of wood.
Maybe it is just that certain species ( in the sense of their typical sound wood characteristics) make it easier to reach to there.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 14:24:16

jshelton5040

quote:

I think we are talking about two different cultures of foresters. I said foresters, not slobs who degrade the environment. I would not call them foresters. Foresters are those who want to harvest from the forest, and like good farmers respect the land and how they steward it.

Forresters are the ones who send in the helicopters to spray selective herbicides that kill off all the plant life except the Douglas Fir trees. They normally do this during the spring breeding season for song birds and other wildlife. The conscientious ones come by and warn us in case there is wind drift.

I'll say no more on this subject since it's off topic and tends to raise my blood pressure.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 14:41:59

Anders Eliasson

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

I'll say no more on this subject since it's off topic and tends to raise my blood pressure.

I agree. And I´ll say no more on this and many other subjects for the same reason.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 16:36:42

constructordeguitarras

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

swinging treble overtones with maple, or the velvety sound with rosewood

What great descriptions, Ruphus! I especially feel that "velvety" describes the sound of a Brazillian rosewood guitar (though not an Indian rosewood one). I hope you won't mind if I borrow that.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 16:39:43

Ruphus

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to constructordeguitarras

Absolutely not! :O)

Indeed, I have both and it appears as if it is only the Rio Palisander that is like that.
The Indian seems of depth too, but not that way.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 17:15:49

estebanana

I doubt that most people, even really good guitar makers, can tell the difference between species in blind tests.

Take a dozen guitars, put on a blindfold before you see them. Have someone play them. Write down what you think they are made of.

Report your findings. Chances are you'll end up very confused.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 19:41:31

Anders Eliasson

Number 105
A steelstring "Orchestra model" based on the scallopped bracing of a Martin OM. Body shape is mine.
Wood is euro spruce top, Flamed Ovangkol back and sides, lacewood bindings and soundport and an olivewood rosette. finished with nitro lacquer.

It plays very well:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (4)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 11:39:22

Anders Eliasson

And some more

Attachment (3)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 11:41:04

Ricardo

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

Wood is euro spruce top, Flamed Ovangkol back and sides, lacewood bindings and soundport and an olivewood rosette. finished with nitro lacquer.

Cool. Does that wood work for flamenco too? Also I forget do you do the nitro lacquer yourself or have it done outside your shop?

I don't know if you ever saw the kids fantasy movie "Krull" but the sound port looks like "The Glave".

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+glaive&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#biv=i%7C2%3Bd%7CVeQaZMg4nXkbwM%3A

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 12:08:47

Anders Eliasson

I dont think I would use Ovangkol on a flamenco. Its pretty heavy.

I lacquered it myself.

I see what you mean with the soundport. definately something that turns around.
I didn´t see that movie. I´m more into intellectual stuff like Woody Allen, Danish movies etc. And eventually something with flashy cars and tits... But I dont like action. Just cars, aeroplanes, stuff and tits.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 14:35:03

Ruphus

You prove again to be a flexible and versatile maker, Anders.

I like the appearance of this guitar. It looks very handsome, and its colors are lovely / ovangkol and rosewood seem to fit greatly.
- The soundport to me has something to a pretzel. One wants to take in hand and nibble away on it. Better to play this one yet after dinner. ;O)

Minor items I personally might had preferred ( ona a very picky level ) would have been
# Enclosed mechanics. For some unclear reason I have experienced those as best functioning so far. Also they seem better armed against bumps and dust.
# A classic or at least slanting fretboard end at the soundhole.
# Maybe a heel cap resumed of the back.

Naturally, nothing that could keep from being curious if spotted in a shop somewhere. She looks very inviting.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 16:36:27

tijeretamiel

Beautiful guitar there Anders. The flamed Ovangkol is the prettiest I've ever seen.

How wide is it at the lower bout? That particular shape looks very nice though, I think it'd make a great 12 string guitar.

Ovangkol (53lb/ft cubed) is about the same weight as Indian Rosewood (57lb/ft cubed), it's gaining in popularity with acoustic guitar makers. No reason why it couldn't be used for a negra, for example I've seen negras made from Cocobolo, Xiricote which is much heavier but there's probably not much reason when the existing popular choices make great negras (EIR, Padauk). Without geeking out too much about tonewoods, I'd love to see European tonewoods like Cherry, Walnut and Pear used, maybe even slightly more esoteric choices like Mulberry.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 17:29:57

Anders Eliasson

Weight of tone Wood is just one factor. Another very important factor is damping. Ovangkol dampens a more tan rosewoods. It does not have that ringy sound.

Thats not possitive or negative. Personally I just prefer that kind of damping on steelstrings. Just like a find that maple is a superior tonewood for fiddles, cellos and steelstring guitars. But I´m not a big fan of it on nylonstrings. Being classical or flamenco, crossovers, hybrids or whatever. (just my taste)

The lower bout is 394mm and the depth is the same as a Martin OM or 000 shape.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone Reading this seen another builder making inlayed soundports like I do. I mean not just an open hole or various holes, but an inlayed piece of Wood with some kind of figure.. (no, its not a pretzel) Its actually a difficult task, because its inlayed on a curved surface. If anyone has seen somethimg similar, pm me link.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 19:36:55

Jeff Highland

Looks great Anders,
I've been waiting to see this finished.
I much prefer your shape to the squared off standard OM
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 19:59:48

tijeretamiel

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

Weight of tone Wood is just one factor. Another very important factor is damping. Ovangkol dampens a more tan rosewoods. It does not have that ringy sound.

Thats not possitive or negative. Personally I just prefer that kind of damping on steelstrings. Just like a find that maple is a superior tonewood for fiddles, cellos and steelstring guitars. But I´m not a big fan of it on nylonstrings. Being classical or flamenco, crossovers, hybrids or whatever. (just my taste)

The lower bout is 394mm and the depth is the same as a Martin OM or 000 shape.

Amazing that it's lower bout is the is the same as a Martin OM! Your acoustic looks like a Small Jumbo! Really beautiful design.

Thanks for the info above, I have actually seen a Ovangkol negra (made by the company who seem to annoy a lot of people so I won't mention them, not the ***** one..), so I think you're right why Ovangkol should be kept away from flamenco guitars...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2013 20:23:31

Anders Eliasson

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to tijeretamiel

I dont know if Ovangkol should be kept away from flamenco guitars. Its just no my taste of Wood for nylonstrings. Here I either want light and a good amount of damping (cypress) or heavy and a clear bright taptone (rosewoods, padauk and others)
And my personal favorite will always be cypress. Also for guitars which are not old style flamencos.

Thanks for the nice words about the shape. I think TANuñez called it a Martin 000 upper bout with a Taylor lower bout.
Actually I have changed the shape very Little. Just a mm or two here and there. I made a lot of full scale sketches and drawings and had them hanging on the Wall for a long time untill I found it to be right. Thats an old boatbuilder trick.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2013 11:20:44

Andy Culpepper

Wow... that ones makes me want to take up the steel string again Anders Just out of curiosity, how do you light your photos?

This is one for the Naranjophiles out there:

Attachment (2)

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2013 21:53:10

Andy Culpepper

It looks a little more yellow in the pictures/video for some reason

Attachment (1)

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2013 21:58:39

Andy Culpepper

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2013 22:01:26

Anders Eliasson

Thats a very pretty pegsy.
Looks old in a possitive way.

Andy, I take pictures outside. I'm not aphotografer, but I have read and studied stuff and try to use that on my photos.
Its all about knowing your equipment, understand light an final touch up in photoshop. A decent camera with a decent lense, is important, but a tripod is more important. And the most important thing is to enjoy.

Also, think about environment. I wouldnt have used that carpet that you use.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2013 7:11:30

Ruphus

Looks as if you returned to inserting the lozenge, Andy. I like that little item a lot.
The figured cedar for the neck, is that old stock or newly aquired?

Ruphus

PS:
The randomness with colors of digital photography comes, because of this technology having no color reception. Instead color is being estimated on recipe by shades of B&W.
( Which is why individual brands´chips have their own color signature.)

When wanting more consistent / natural results you need to do white balance ( take a white surface under given light conditions and tell the camera to take it for white ) when ever light condition changes, and / or edit in post.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2013 10:49:01

Anders Eliasson

quote:

When wanting more consistent / natural results you need to do white balance ( take a white surface under given light conditions and tell the camera to take it for white ) when ever light condition changes, and / or edit in post.

Or shoot "raw" format and edit to your likings in a raw editor.
Its a bit slower, but its the way you get the really good quality photos.
The above ones are shot in jpeg format and with a white balance that I know works for that camera in these light circumstances at that place.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2013 11:07:44

Andy Culpepper

Thanks Anders and Ruphus for the photography tips. It must be that Andalucian light that makes your photos look so good :)

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2013 18:29:20

Andy Culpepper

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Ruphus

I'm just using the lozenge on request these days :)
I wouldn't call that cedar figured... pretty much plain old cedro.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2013 18:31:12

Anders Eliasson

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

It must be that Andalucian light that makes your photos look so good

Andalucian light makes everything look good. Even me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2013 19:02:47
Page:   <<   <   15 16 [17] 18 19    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   15 16 [17] 18 19    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software powered by ASP Playground Advanced Edition 2.0.5