Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Questions about woods.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: Questions about woods. (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Which brings me to the conclusion that this foro is no longer an emotionally or artistically safe space for me to hang out in.

Hold it....I got the perfect solution. Each luthier on foro make ONE guitar...their personal best effort. We give reasonable build time for each maker....favorite strings of luthier, blanca negra no matter what ever simply the best effort. Then mail the guitars to ME...I will test em and select the BEST one as the KING luthier of the foro and have that on youtube, my website, here facebook etc.....then we can have also a poll with blind audio test to choose best guitar like a foro challange...and blast THAT winner free advertising all over the net (might be same luthier might not be). THEN, I'll record at ToddK studio with winning guitar(s) and digital downloads of the recording, spotify royalties (LOL) and free advertising all goes to winner.

THen, I keep the guitars of course LOL....at least until their sold.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2012 3:57:21

Shawn Brock

RE: Questions about woods. (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Stephen, I called you back over 2 weeks ago. I had also sent you a message on Facebook telling you that I had called you. You responded and informed me that you were in the middle of moving and that you would call me in a day or 2.

As for my questions about wood species, as I recall we never discussed it. We just knew that I wanted cypress of some species, and not Port Orford... That's about how far we got...

It was never my intention to offend you or make it seem like I didn't trust your judgment. As I said when this thread started, I had these questions on my mind for a while, and I love to understand guitar construction as much or more than playing the guitar. So I was asking to try to better educate myself and that's about it. I chose to post when I did just because things had been getting a little slow around here. Looks like we fixed that. LOL

As I said, you are a great luthier and your instruments attest to that. I just wish you guys wouldn't get so emotional about it all. I'm sure I don't know the whole story and I probably never will. That's why I address what's in front of me and not other threads that I didn't read... Don't worry about hard feelings from me Man because that's not the case here.

Still I don't think its right to jump on Andy because of his prices. We have other members who are even below him in price, and some of them have been making for a lot longer. People like DeVoe or Canin aren't saying that your undercutting them are they? They live in CA as well and have to deal with the high cost of living the same as you do...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2012 4:16:43

Stephen Eden

RE: Questions about woods. (in reply to Ricardo

HardWood - I made no such misinterpretation. I clearly stated Andy should choose his words wisely! I thought it could be taken like that. Then in the next post said I doubt he meant to insult anybody, Also trying to clear his name.

Getting heated about aspects of the guitar and aspect of building is great it helps keep the Players and us guitar makers informed of other processes out there that we may have over looked.

I think Andy has gone down the right route when it comes pricing. I share the same or similar philosphy on this one. Get as many guitars moving and out there and being played. To do this make them cheap for aslong as you can afford. My prices, at £2500 are still considered cheap over here. I am almost £1000 cheaper than most of my competitors (which we all are). I am in the same price range as some high end factory instruments.

I still look at it as if someone looking to spend £6k on a guitar won't even consider my instruments over the well known maker even if my guitars are on the same level. My instruments are good enough but my name cannot command those prices. I remember when I was charging £1200 I didn't have the confidence to raise my prices! It took alot of persuasion from my customers to finally raise them. Even then I only went to £1800.

Shawn yours is probably the only opinion that counts when it comes to buying a guitar for yourself. Go with what you can afford and of course what you like most! but of course you already knew that though.

Ricardo - Cool Idea! although two things. Can you give me 9 months I'm pretty rammed for building guitars at the moment. Secondly will you pay for the Import duty? I've heard even if free you will still have to pay the duty on the full asking price! I should also add that I'd prefer silver Crowns

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2012 11:00:44

Ricardo

RE: Questions about woods. (in reply to Stephen Eden

quote:

Ricardo - Cool Idea! although two things. Can you give me 9 months I'm pretty rammed for building guitars at the moment. Secondly will you pay for the Import duty? I've heard even if free you will still have to pay the duty on the full asking price! I should also add that I'd prefer silver Crowns

Well 9 months sounds good. If yours turns out to be the ONLY guitar entered, you win hands down, but assuming you even beat out just 1 or 2 other makers as ultimate flamenco guitar builder on Foro, your prize guitar should later command at least $5000 which I consider reasonable for an award winning luthier made concert flamenco. Won't you make a huge return on the investment to send it? And aksing price can't be considerably lower for this instrument as a "special" model?

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2012 14:14:04

Gimar

flamenco guitar build off!?! sounds like a cool idea!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2012 14:51:30

TANúñez

RE: Questions about woods. (in reply to Shawn Brock

Shawn, all this arguing and all the fights are your fault! don't ever ask any questions about woods again! lol

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2012 15:48:46

Shawn Brock

Tom,
Your 100 percent correct!!! At this stage I'm a little afraid to ever ask anything again! LOL

I have had other questions that I never brought up out of fear of getting a strong argument going, I sure didn't think this one would trigger it. Shows what I know...

Its all settled on my account anyhow, I chose a maker and am sending him payment on payday to get on his list...

By the way, I can't wait to hear your work, so get to building!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2012 17:35:15

TANúñez

RE: Questions about woods. (in reply to Shawn Brock

I don't know how all this even got started. I love the luthier section on this foro because you typically don't see that. I think it's just due to all the creative minds on here and as a result, you will get a difference of opinions which I think we should all respect. No one here is better than anyone else. More experienced, yes, but better? we're all cut from the same cloth. We just do things differently in which the end result is the same.

Anders and Estabanana I hope you guys don't leave or take a long break because we all learn from your posts. Knowledge is one thing we can never have enough of.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2012 23:13:11
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll