Foro Flamenco
Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.
This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvir, Philip John Lee and Craig Eros who went ahead of us too soon.
We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Black Hole eats sun   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   15 16 17 18 [19]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Great story!

I took my kid to see the James Webb space telescope at Goddard. A student of mine got us in to see a lot of the stuff they use to test the thing, including the huge sub woofers that ensure the instruments can withstand vibrations caused by the rocket, and of course the enormous space environment simulator was there. James Webb is designed to go out toward the sun at about double the distance as earth to moon, on the Lagrange point in line with Earth and Sun. Despite all it's sophistication, if anything goes wrong with deployment of instruments there won't be any fixing or upgrading as they did with Hubble. That's an expensive gamble for sure.

Well, off to a good start this morning! Got fingers crossed she makes it with no hitches and all instruments work!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 25 2021 17:40:57

BarkellWH

quote:

Well, off to a good start this morning! Got fingers crossed she makes it with no hitches and all instruments work!

The successful launch sent a chill up my spine.

As the New York Times describes the JWST's mission: "Its primary light gathering mirror is 21 feet across, about three times larger than Hubble, and seven times more sensitive. The Webb’s mission is to seek out the earliest, most distant stars and galaxies, which appeared 13.7 billion years ago, burning their way out of a fog leftover from the Big Bang (which occurred 13.8 billion years ago)."

Appropriately enough, my wife gave me as a Christmas gift a book entitled "Conquering the Pacific." It tells the story of the 1564-65 Spanish voyage across the Pacific from Mexico to Manila and return by Andres de Urdaneta. The voyage opened up the Pacific to Spanish trade with the Far East and laid the groundwork for the famed Manila Galleons over the next two and one-half centuries.

In a span of five hundred years we have gone from the Age of Discovery (primarily Portuguese and Spanish) to exploring the furthest reaches of the known universe. We were meant to explore the unknown and our place in the cosmos. Today was a great step in that endeavor.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 25 2021 18:37:12

ernandez R

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to BarkellWH

Bill,
I think humanity needed a win... Let's hope it makes it to L1 and deploys properly.

Good in depth article:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/why-nasas-james-webb-space-telescope-matters-so-much-20211203/

I prefer my flamenco guitar spicy,
doesn't have to be fast,
should have some meat on the bones,
can be raw or well done,
as long as it doesn't sound like it's turning green on an elevator floor.

www.instagram.com/threeriversguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2021 1:35:10

Richard Jernigan

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to BarkellWH

In 1613 Galileo wrote to Cantelli espousing the heliocentric theory of the solar system, and pointing out that the Bible was not a reliable scientific text. The letter was not formally published, but circulated widely, lending credence to the heliocentric theory and eventually figuring in the Church's persecution of Galileo.

Newton published Principia in 1687, 52 years after my first American ancestor arrived on this continent.

Maxwell read "A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field" to the Royal Society in December, 1864 while my great-grandfathers were still engaged in the Civil War. Faraday's experimental work at the Royal Society was quite significant in Maxwell's theoretical development.

Einstein proposed Special Relativity in a paper published September 26, 1905, a week and a half before my father was a year old. Eight years later Einstein and Grossmann proposed General Relativity.

The foundations of Quantum Mechanics were well developed by a number of physicists by the end of the 1920s.

Edwin Hubble first showed the existence of galaxies beyond our own in 1926, eleven years before I was born. Now there is some hope that within my lifetime astronomers will observe the earliest galaxies, as they emerged within 110-million years of the origin of the universe.

The physics/astronomy business is picking up.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2021 1:56:00

devilhand

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to Richard Jernigan

I just looked at the key goals of this insanity. Wikipedia says:

The James Webb Space Telescope has four key goals:

to search for light from the first stars and galaxies that formed in the Universe after the Big Bang
to study the formation and evolution of galaxies
to understand the formation of stars and planetary systems
to study planetary systems and the origins of life

What do we get after knowing this? Entertainment? Will it solve our problems on earth? No.

Humans should concentrate on their problems on earth first. 9.7 billion is crazy. It should have invested in reducing poverty, inequality, overpopulation, pollution and global warming - all the problems we face now and in future including Covid.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2021 13:55:53

davewphx

That tour you took at Goddard sounds awesome Ricardo. I would love to see behind the scenes. Good shirt too.

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2021 15:45:49

Ricardo

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to devilhand

quote:

What do we get after knowing this? Entertainment? Will it solve our problems on earth? No.

You have no idea what new things come out of tech and search for knowledge like this. Blue tooth came out of this type of technology. If you want to save the world and solves problems, point your finger at the institutions supposedly designed to work those problems and ask them why they are failing! But the pursuit of knowledge and its costs are completely unrelated, so how dare you point your ignorant finger at anyone engaged in that noble activity?

Last, admin has been reviewing your comments for a good reason and this one slipped through the cracks. He just turned on this section you come in with a troll comment like that? I suggest you withdraw your comment and think about it for a minute longer.

SMH 🤦

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2021 16:30:50

Ricardo

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to davewphx

quote:

ORIGINAL: davewphx

That tour you took at Goddard sounds awesome Ricardo. I would love to see behind the scenes. Good shirt too.

It was fun. If you hunt back to my original post (in my quote box) about it on page 11, you can see the other photos of Webb front and back, also the huge subwoofers and the vacuum chamber. Also pics of my kid and Parker probe on page 16.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2021 16:35:48

devilhand

[Awaiting Approval]

[Awaiting Approval]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2021 18:00:58

Piwin

This is going on right now (presentation of the picture of Sgr A):

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2022 14:23:44

Ricardo

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to Piwin

Awesome thanks! I had totally given up on this one, thinking it was too messy to get a good image. I am very proud of those guys and gals.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2022 19:01:02

Arash

holy ****, how fast time flies by. I just checked when this thread started and it was 10 years ago.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2022 10:23:02

Ricardo

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

holy ****, how fast time flies by. I just checked when this thread started and it was 10 years ago.

quote:

At present, there are just so many discrepancies. Telescopic viewing of an actual event horizon will help to know if were are even on the right track. Mean while we should still be careful using terms like "it can't be anything else, MUST be black hole" IMO.

That was my quote from 10 years ago. Since that day we have TWO black hole telescopic images. Pretty short time actually!!!

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2022 15:21:33

devilhand

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to Piwin

quote:

presentation of the picture of Sgr A

Journey To The Edge Of The Universe is 1000 times more entertaining than this silly image.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2022 19:00:36

Ricardo

quote:

is 1000 times more entertaining than this silly image.

That is your second permitted kindergarten level troll comment on here. WTF is wrong with you?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2022 13:27:45

JasonM

They say capturing this image was on the equivalent scale of looking at a donut hole on the surface of the moon! So says Dr Homer Simpson.

Looking forward to James Webb’s first official images this summer!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2022 15:06:51

kitarist

quote:

quote:

is 1000 times more entertaining than this silly image.

That is your second permitted kindergarten level troll comment on here. WTF is wrong with you?

Yeah, either ban the troll, or don't allow his troll comments, or lift any restrictions if real moderation is not feasible or too onerous; I don't see the point of his current 'moderation' if it doesn't moderate, just delays his posts.

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2022 16:29:04

Arash

quote:

Since that day we have TWO black hole telescopic images. Pretty short time actually!!!

I guess now they will be constantly taking pictures over time within the next years and put them together into a video so to say. Like interaction with gas and stuff.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2022 12:09:42

Ricardo

RE: Black Hole eats sun (in reply to JasonM

quote:

Looking forward to James Webb’s first official images this summer!

Somewhere it was suggested that now the Sagittarius A black hole has been imaged, that Webb might be able to look there too, in the infrared obviously. Meanwhile, I found this discussion from before the successful launch that details some of the projects in store for Webb:

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2022 13:56:21

Arash

Denying human nature is what would have caused us to stay in caves forever.
At that time, you could have argued, whats the point of looking outside my cave, will it solve my issues inside the cave? Only through the knowledge you gained outside your cave and the challenges your faced, you were able to advance and get out of that cave.

Later on thousands of years later, you could have asked, whats the point of sailing ship to the unknown? will it solve the issues in our village? Who cares whats out there in the horizon?

Now that the entire earth has been discovered, the next inevitable step is space. You can not deny your nature or else you would have been doomed to stay in the cave as a neanderthal forever.

All the issues you mentioned (poverty, inequality, overpopulation, pollution and global warming, and much more)
can ultimately only be solved if we keep discovering beyond our horizon.
In 100.000 years, the only solution might be just leaving earth and if today that quest of knowledge hadn't been started, then we might have been doomed to extinction when its time to do something. In fact, in couple billion years we will be dead here on earth anyways, because the sun will eat us. So if something is true on a galactic scale and timeframe, then the inevitable answer to the solution is that the answer to the solution must have started with small steps at some point in the past, and that past is now. Unless you are only interested in your insignificant life of 80 or 90 years which is completely irrelevant when it comes to humanity as a whole

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2022 19:55:16
Page:   <<   <   15 16 17 18 [19]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   15 16 17 18 [19]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post