Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RIP Amy Winehouse   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

RIP Amy Winehouse 

She just died in London

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 16:59:39

Andy Culpepper

RE: RIP Amy Winehouse (in reply to Escribano

That's terrible... she was an incredible talent. So sad what happened to her life after she got famous. Add another to the list of "the 27 year old curse"

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 17:07:32

XXX

Just saw it 2 min ago. That really sucks

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 17:15:04

rodrigovalt

Really talented, sucks she ended up like this

Rodrigo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 17:24:21

rodrigovalt

quote:

Add another to the list of "the 27 year old curse"

She has been already added in the Wikepedia list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

Rodrigo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 17:35:55

Ruphus

Don´t know much about her, apart of having heard some snippets that certainly revealed her talent.

Yet, despite the little of her production that I got a hold of, it feels sad to read this news.
Suppose she must have been one of the very few personalities who expect and deserve more from life than just pecuniary funds.
And the irony being that these kind of gems often end up like that, instead of gaining a long and healthy life and to enrich our trivial culture.

Their vitaes hardship must be just consequential to the establishment of turned upside-down values and concerns.

RIP, crazy diamond.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 17:46:20

Yojimbo

Mental illness is very serious.

People underestimate it or just tell the afflicted to "snap out of it", but it doesn't work that way.

The universe is indeed expanding - to get away from this planet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 19:10:37

Gimar Yestra

what happend to the 91 kids who died in norway??

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 19:46:03

Adam

RE: RIP Amy Winehouse (in reply to Gimar Yestra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimar Yestra

My thoughts exactly.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 21:13:15

odinz

quote:

They died by the hands of a cowardly dog.

I lost an old friend and i know a few other ppeople who attended that camp.

They will be scarred for life, after seeing friends die right before their eyes.

The coward a**hole will sit in prison for maximum 21 years, prison in norway is a 3 star hotel.

Also, sad abou Amy Whinehouse.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 21:25:49

Morante

Winehouse, Morrison, Cobain, Hendrix: todos de 27 años. ¡Que putada!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 21:28:41

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: RIP Amy Winehouse (in reply to Morante

mine too...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 21:32:12

ToddK

Ironic really. She has a song that goes;

"i cheated myself, like i knew i would. I told you i was trouble, you
no im no good"

If you're familiar with what she did to herself, and did not see this coming,
hmmmm... Newsflash = She's been slowly dying for the last 3 years.
At her last concert, she was barely even concious, and was booed off stage.
She cheated herself, and everybody else too. Very sad..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 21:40:26

BarkellWH

RE: RIP Amy Winehouse (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

And the irony being that these kind of gems often end up like that, instead of gaining a long and healthy life and to enrich our trivial culture.

Their vitaes hardship must be just consequential to the establishment of turned upside-down values and concerns.

The real irony, Ruphus, is that she was a part of, and representative of, our trivial culture. She created nothing lasting, nothing that future generations will consider worthy, and she alone was responsible for her lack of discipline that led to her demise. The Establishment's "upside-down values" (if I read you correctly) had nothing to do with Amy Winehouse's problems. She alone bears responsibility.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 22:13:38

Gimar Yestra

very sorry to hear that Odinz.

I wish people who spend some more thoughs on the norwegian tragedy rather someone who prettymuch commited suicide.. theres is a big difference, no matter how sad it is Amy whinehouse is dead.

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 22:14:37

MarTay6

I find it difficult to sympathize with someone who knowingly does this to themself.
I find it much easier to sympathize with the families and loved ones of the 91 innocent victims just killed in Norway. THAT'S who deserves to rest in peace... and- for the survivors and families- to find peace.
When will people learn- that substance abuse kills??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 22:15:58

XXX

I dont see any parallels between the Norwegian case and this one here therefore comparing them is just sick in my eyes. You cant prevent somebody getting a gun a put a bullet into your brain within short time. But you can prevent somebody destroying himself, especially as her state was known publically. Many people take drugs but not all of them die. And not everybody who tries drugs, or a higher dose, does it to commit suicide.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 22:28:48

odinz

Thank you, Gimar, I guess we should say rest in peace to all of them, including Amy too.

I think it is hard to look at a person destroy him or herself, like Amy probably did.

My Mom works at an mental hospital, for affective disorders and drug addicts.

Its not as easy to all to just say no, or to just quit, because it is not only something that becomes a habit, but it becomes a big part of your life, like a supporting friend.

So i do not want to belittle her case either, it is unfortunate that she tried drugs that first time and got hooked.

The parallel is that both cases resulted in death.

Amy was just a person like everyone else, and someone must have loved her.

just wanted to say that, i did not want to belittle her death either, i am just frustrated and angry as hell now, i am sorry if i sound crude.

*just wanted to add that substance and drug abuse also is sort of genetically wired up, so its easier for some people to get hooked, and also that Amy must have had alot of stress in her life, sorry if i am getting totally out of hand here, i feel like throwing out all of my emotions at this time.*

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2011 23:07:10

Andy Culpepper

A sick Christian fundamentalist gun loving wanna be Hitler... It's absolutely tragic what happened and I'm sorry for your loss odinz.
I don't think anyone is trying to belittle what happened in Norway, there is not even a comparison between that and Amy's death. I think it just got posted because this is a music forum.. to anyone that got upset that this was posted, why didn't you make your own post about Norway? It obviously overshadows the Amy Winehouse thing..
sorry again odinz.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2011 1:29:11

estebanana

The problem with people like Winehouse is that they do death on the installment plan for years and then one day they wake up half dead and they tell themselves enough of this. She was a good artist and she had something to contribute and she was young. She may have woken up this morning and said enough, but unfortunately she did not wake up this time. She fell and knocked her head on the toilet or she choked or she was so wasted she forgot to test the dope and shot herself with something too strong and turned blue. Who knows.

It's sad and I am sad about it. I wish she would have woken up and said I'm going to stop this. Maybe she never asked to be a star and she already had self esteem problems.

Winehouses case I can relate to; I've seen artist friends struggle with heroin and alcohol and some have died and some have gone on to do wonderful things. A few still molder in crappy apts. shooting dope this minute. Artists can have demons, it comes with the territory, it does not mean you have to live out the stereotype of a Van Gogh and cultivate madness. Artists can be perfectly rational, but some struggle with going back and forth between the void of perfect creativity and being purely rational. That pressure on creating can be exacerbated by privacies taken away from someone by fame, or by a mental disorder, many artists don't have purfect functioning brain chemistry.

All this is to say hearing about an artist who struggled with themselves and died is not outside my sphere of experience and it is difficult hear about. What happened in Norway shatters the mind and soul, it's incomprehensible because it's not something I have lived with or want to live with. When I hear about Amy Winehouse I feel like a bit of my soul got ripped up because a kindred soul artist is not here any longer. When I hear about the Norway island I just want to shut down, it's too much to work through. It's surreal in the absolute pejorative sense of the word.

If there were a scale you could balance out these things with and one weighed more than the other, it would still not bring any of them back. From London or Norway.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2011 2:43:03

HolyEvil

RE: RIP Amy Winehouse (in reply to odinz

quote:

ORIGINAL: odinz

quote:

They died by the hands of a cowardly dog.

I lost an old friend and i know a few other ppeople who attended that camp.

They will be scarred for life, after seeing friends die right before their eyes.

The coward a**hole will sit in prison for maximum 21 years, prison in norway is a 3 star hotel.

Also, sad abou Amy Whinehouse.

Sorry to hear this Odinz. It's terrible when such tragedy happens.
Any sort of religious fundamentalist mentality is of the old world. Same goes for racism, sexism, homophobia. It doesn't have a place in modern society.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2011 5:27:20

henrym3483

i would advise anyone to check out the books below..alot of common sense ideas in them but seriously it might save your life..god forbid any of ye have to deal with something like that happened in norway

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Surviving_a_School_Shooting_By_Loren_Christensen/Crime_Awareness_and_Avoidance

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Living_with_Terrorism/Other_Survival
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2011 8:12:36

Escribano

I am astonished and saddened that my brief post of the breaking news has been taken as some kind value judgement on the situation in Norway - a comparison through omission. If that is how you read it, then you are mistaken.

Better that you started another thread, as you were free to do.

Like the premature loss of other exceptionally talented musicians, of which I believe Amy to be, it is a loss to us of their future work - selfishly, I was looking forward to a lot more of her songs and performances, rather than watching the public decline of a healthy young woman into a crack addict.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2011 10:04:33

Doitsujin

What a sad world.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2011 11:50:05

Gimar Yestra

sorry Escribano, I didnt mean to make a comparison. Guess I posted in the heat of the moment, no disrespect to Amy Winehouse intended.

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2011 13:13:33

machopicasso

quote:

I am astonished and saddened that my brief post of the breaking news has been taken as some kind value judgement on the situation in Norway

One or two people may have made careless inferences, but I suspect everyone understands where you're coming from. Loss of life and possibility is in itself a sad thing, regardless of variations in culpability or innocence. Amy Winehouse is one, the people in Norway others, and the thousands of Somali children who recently died, still others. Doitsujin's right: it's a very sad world.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2011 8:50:55

MarTay6

quote:

Loss of life and possibility is in itself a sad thing, regardless of variations in culpability or innocence. Amy Winehouse is one, the people in Norway others, and the thousands of Somali children who recently died, still others. Doitsujin's right: it's a very sad world.

Machopicasso- while I may have spoken disrespectfully of Amy- and, in retrospect, I regret that- I think you summed up the situation most accurately...
It is, indeed- a very sad world.
Wes
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2011 9:16:20

Escribano

RE: RIP Amy Winehouse (in reply to machopicasso

quote:

One or two people may have made careless inferences, but I suspect everyone understands where you're coming from. Loss of life and possibility is in itself a sad thing, regardless of variations in culpability or innocence. Amy Winehouse is one, the people in Norway others, and the thousands of Somali children who recently died, still others. Doitsujin's right: it's a very sad world.

Well said. If we mix everything up we would go mad. The fact that this planet works at all with us on it is a miracle and I am not sure how much longer that can last.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2011 10:45:31

odinz

I think it has been like this for all time, but we have been more accustomed to not seeing death and tragedy, taking the middle ages for example.

Like Andy said, this is a music forum, and music is one of the things that i think of as a force.

We as humans have allways had music for comfort, or any situation, emotion or whatnot.

For me atleast it is one of the things that help me drag through the world.

I am sorry for getting off topic here by the way, but as i said, i think it is sad about Amy, and i think like Escribano, that she would have alot more to give in music.

And i also think it is disgusting how masses of people just nurture out of news like this, she was a tired induvidual, she needed support instead of booing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2011 12:26:32

Ruphus

With the exception of the Norway comparison, its is a pleasure to read your thoughts and see the beautiful depth in them.
Makes me fancy that we might be on a U-turn from the superficiality of the eighties and the cynism of the nineties.

"... she needed support instead of booing."

To this I´d like to add something.

Among the upside-down phenomenons there is the contradiction between mercylessness of unreal and inflated claims on the individual on the one hand, and on the other hand the contrasting forgiveness with all kinds of actual infringements against reason and joint on administrative level.

So, there we have the Barbie & Ken idol; the one of the perfectly looking, always eloquent, impressively moving, appropriately dressed and what not perfect example; artificially created by Hollywood and tried to be emulated in real life ... Blindly and relently requested by fellow pupils, colleagues, parents ... A surrounding often intending to overgo their own deviation from an apparent "norm".

And on the other hand the countering immunity of the upper Fourhundred and their hosts, who in contrast are allowed yet the most of dismissing, destructive and autocratic policy without being seriously questioned and charged.

In these times you can deliver tanks to despotes, intoxicate millions of people, or rob billions of their belongings and basic rights, but you won´t be tolerated with a no-name shirt or tilted teeth in your average situation.

Obviously there exists a substantial need to level out these two antagone shores of perception and interaction / turn things back to relation.

A demand to deal much more forgivenly and mildly with one another; appreciating individual abilities / granting imperfections and deviations as legit as they actually are.
And in balance, inspect much more closely and critical the actions of an immune autocrat caste.

In a 3rd-millenium culture of sense noone should come to the lost feeling Amy Winehouse and many more fine people must have gone through.
-

How many of you have experienced those occasional nightmares of falling down from great hight, only to startle right before the clash?
A very common kind of dream, isn´t it.
White coats claim it would indicate the sense of lacking support.

I guess such a possible background won´t really surprise anyone in these sociologically frigid times.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2011 14:17:54
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote