Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Classical versus flamenco tremolo   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rombsix

Classical versus flamenco tremolo 

Recently posted a video on how to play flamenco tremolo, and I said that flamenco tremolo is usually done using pulgar REST stroke, but classical tremolo is usually done using pulgar FREE stroke. That's what I thought... Then one of the classical guitar teachers on darsguitar.net pops up and says that "classical guitarists also use REST stroke via pulgar, and even more, they MAKE SURE to use REST stroke becuase this is very necessary, and that if I watch Pepe Romero play tremolo, I'll notice that very clearly."

I DID watch Pepe, and indeed, he DOES use REST stroke for pulgar in tremolo, however, I don't think Pepe is the "typical" classical guitarist (even though very famous, bla bla), but he also plays "flamenco" pieces like Sabicas material, and whatnot.

I looked at the following videos:

This guy has a master's degree in classical guitar performance that he got under the tutelage of Eliot Fisk.

Notice Tenant is doing a REST stroke only on the low E string.

All are respectable classical guitarists, and all of them use FREE stroke. Therefore, can we say that classical guitar tremolo is usually played with pulgar FREE stroke, and that flamenco guitar tremolo is usually played with pulgar REST stroke, or not?

Cheers!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 15:07:34

newbie711

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to rombsix

youre forgetting that in flamenco tremolo, an extra note is added. So in essence, it becomes p-i-a-m-i, rather than p-a-m-i, as in classical tremolo. This extra note and movement in flamenco tremolo makes the tremolo a lot more challenging and difficult to execute than the classical tremolo, and yes most classical guitarists use free stroke with pulgar. Ive never seen one use rest. Pepe only uses rest once in a while depending on the piece..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 16:05:55

Estevan

quote:

Therefore, can we say that classical guitar tremolo is usually played with pulgar FREE stroke

That's true.

quote:

This extra note and movement in flamenco tremolo makes the tremolo a lot more challenging and difficult to execute than the classical tremolo

I don't think that's true. It depends on the person.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 16:15:03

odinz

In classical guitar, i have been taught free stroke for tremolo, you can also do rest stroke, but it depends on what you play i think, or what you want it to sound like anyways.

Flamenco tremolo also adds a extra note, classical is 3 note tremolo, while flamenco is 4 note tremolo(that is excluding the pulgar)

Atleast this is what i have been taught, but classical guitarist do not allways make sure to rest stroke pulgar!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 16:17:03

rombsix

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to newbie711

quote:

youre forgetting that in flamenco tremolo, an extra note is added. So in essence, it becomes p-i-a-m-i, rather than p-a-m-i, as in classical tremolo. This extra note and movement in flamenco tremolo makes the tremolo a lot more challenging and difficult to execute than the classical tremolo, and yes most classical guitarists use free stroke with pulgar. Ive never seen one use rest. Pepe only uses rest once in a while depending on the piece..

Noob and odinz: Obviously I know that it is p-i-a-m-i. I never referred to what the fingers other than the pulgar are doing. Those are (hopefully) agreed upon. But I thought that classical guitarists ALWAYS use free stroke pulgar in tremolo, and flamenco guitarists ALWAYS use rest stroke pulgar in tremolo.

I could go and argue with the teacher that what he said about "they MAKE SURE to use REST stroke becuase this is very necessary" is rubbish, but I think he will always be able to find some classical guitarist using rest stroke, and say "I told you so."

I find flamenco tremolo is SLOWER in general, because you are using more strokes. No matter how fast you are with p-i-a-m-i, you will never be as fast as with p-a-m-i simply because of logic: fewer strokes = faster speeds.

ALSO, I find rest stroke pulgar is SLOWER than free stroke pulgar, and that is why in classical guitar, free stroke pulgar tends to be used (because what the fingers are doing on the trebles is faster than what gets done in flamenco). However, I can't say 100% for sure that rest stroke pulgar is slower than free stroke pulgar. I'm sure someone will find some way to prove me wrong on that aspect.

I guess this will always be the case when I compare between the way a technique is done in flamenco versus classical guitar, and have an audience that is composed of both classical and flamenco guitarists. There will always be someone who will say, "No, this is not entirely true, bla bla bla..." I guess the problem is that I see things too much as "black or white" sometimes, but the truth of the matter is that many guitarists have a technique in that "gray" area.

Thoughts?

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 16:44:45

Estevan

quote:

ALSO, I find rest stroke pulgar is SLOWER than free stroke pulgar, and that is why in classical guitar, free stroke pulgar tends to be used (because what the fingers are doing on the trebles is faster than what gets done in flamenco). However, I can't say 100% for sure that rest stroke pulgar is slower than free stroke pulgar.

Perhaps you're confusing technical (mechanical) and musical aspects here. After all, there's nothing faster than a good flamenco pulgar, right?
But I think what you may be thinking of here is the timing. A normal classical tremolo aims for uninterrupted continuity, steady timing, without a break between the bass notes and treble line. That's the esthetic ideal, that's the style.

The flamenco esthetic is rather different, because it's much more common to hear a space after the bass note (some of the bass notes, anyway) so that there are some expressive gaps - that's the style - and in fact if you play it too smoothly it doesn't really sound flamenco.
Ricardo has explained this very well, somewhere in the archives.

Maybe for your purposes it would be better to stick to the mechanical basics and just tell them that the classical tremolo uses groups of four notes while the flamenco uses groups of five, and that the one normally uses free-strokes in the bass while the other uses rest-strokes.

P.S.
quote:

I guess the problem is that I see things too much as "black or white" sometimes, but the truth of the matter is that many guitarists have a technique in that "gray" area.

Man, I live in that grey area. (Actually it's quite colourful)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 18:22:06

rombsix

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to Estevan

quote:

Maybe for your purposes it would be better to stick to the mechanical basics and just tell them that the classical tremolo uses groups of four notes while the flamenco uses groups of five, and that the one normally uses free-strokes in the bass while the other uses rest-strokes.

That's exactly what I said, and I also explained the continuity issue. But I got the feedback I already mentioned ("classical guitarists also use REST stroke via pulgar, and even more, they MAKE SURE to use REST stroke becuase this is very necessary, and that if I watch Pepe Romero play tremolo, I'll notice that very clearly."), which made me start this thread altogether.

Oh well...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 18:49:21

odinz

If he is just out to prove you wrong on something, you should just not care about it IMO, seems like he is nitpicking..

I think what you are explaining as differencials is generally true as well, but the thing to consider is that each player do things a little differently, out of preference.

All classical guitarist i know use free stroke most of the time, for anything whatsoever actually, even when they play "picado runs" and things like that.

In classical guitar the players seems to do more simmilar things because they are taught how to do things a certain way though, like how you see their sitting position etc..

About speed, I think it depends on the player, and what he/she prefers.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 18:53:18

rombsix

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to odinz

quote:

If he is just out to prove you wrong on something, you should just not care about it IMO, seems like he is nitpicking..

No he's a good guy. He's just trying to pitch in, I guess. He seems to be quite fond of Pepe Romero, and considers him one of the pillars of classical guitar (which he is). He's not EQUAL to classical guitar, though.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 18:55:09

Estevan

quote:

"classical guitarists also use REST stroke via pulgar, and even more, they MAKE SURE to use REST stroke becuase this is very necessary

False.

quote:

He's not EQUAL to classical guitar, though.

True.

Your correspondent may be a good guy, but he evidently has a very narrow perspective. (i.e. ranging from Pepe Romero at one end, all the way through Pepe Romero, to Pepe Romero at the other end).

Anyway, I don't even think the thumb-stroke thing is important as a distinguishing feature, just the number of notes.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 19:41:16

rombsix

quote:

(i.e. ranging from Pepe Romero at one end, all the way through Pepe Romero, to Pepe Romero at the other end).

quote:

Anyway, I don't even think the thumb-stroke thing is important as a distinguishing feature, just the number of notes.

Sorta. I was just trying to be complete...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 19:54:57

keith

there are many flamenco pieces that involve a free stroke tremelo in that notes on strings spaced a string or two apart are used (e.g., thumb stroke on the b string and d string) or repeated strokes on the b string which makes a rest stroke pretty difficult. sabicas's puerto de malaga uses a few free strokes. conversely, recuerdos de alhambra uses many rest strokes as well as free strokes (the b and d strings are used predominately in the middle section towards the end).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 20:16:28

Doitsujin

quote:

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo

Discussion pointless since in flamenco both techniques are used depending on which effect the player wants.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 20:27:36

rombsix

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

Discussion pointless since in flamenco both techniques are used depending on which effect the player wants.

Kbeeeeeeeeeer!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 20:46:06

Jazzinahat

Just an opinion - but I use apoyando to add emphasis or bring out a note.
The bass supports the tremolo which is the melody in most cases. For most average players it's hard enough to bring out a consistent melody line above the bass without adding rest strokes. I suppose when the melody transfers to the bass line there may be a case.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 20:49:31

Elie

I studied classical music for long time and I could say from what I saw that tremolo is used 15% rest stroke and 85% free stroke in classical music
just my experience anyway

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 20:51:08

Estevan

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to keith

quote:

recuerdos de alhambra uses many rest strokes as well as free strokes

Depends on the player. (The composer didn't specify.)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 20:54:13

XXX

What is tremolo?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 20:59:42

Elie

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to XXX

quote:

What is tremolo?

A wavering effect in a musical tone, typically produced by rapid reiteration of a note, or sometimes by rapid repeated variation in the pitch of a note or by sounding two notes of slightly different pitches to produce prominent overtones
lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 21:02:40

rombsix

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to XXX

quote:

What is tremolo?

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 21:03:14

Estevan

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 21:19:02

xirdneH_imiJ

i've only read the first post, but i've never used a rest stroke while playing tremolo...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 23:07:06

rombsix

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

quote:

i've only read the first post, but i've never used a rest stroke while playing tremolo...

That's because you're a fake flamenco guitarist. A phony! So is ToddK.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2011 23:25:04

KMMI77

quote:

Then one of the classical guitar teachers on darsguitar.net pops up and says

I think you have found the mysterious "Video Flagger" on your you tube channel,

Time to retaliate!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2011 7:05:01

Richard Jernigan

Ask your classical friend about this:

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2011 7:13:40

Richard Jernigan

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to Richard Jernigan

..and the pause between bass and treble in flamenco tremolo is a relatively recent phenomenon, as can be seen at 1:30 in this Sabicas Rondeña, and at 5:58 in the alegrias.

The legend, which I have both heard and seen written in various places, was that tremolo was introduced into flamenco by Paco de Lucena, who passed it on to Javier Molina and others. Molina can be heard on some of Pastora Pavon's [la Niña de los Peines] early recordings.

Supposedly, Paco de Lucena picked up tremolo from Julian Arcas, a classical performer and composer, who played some flamenco pieces.

What the original technique was--free or supported thumb, three or four fingers--and when flamenco and classical diverged, may be lost in the mists of time.

At least it is for me.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2011 7:27:06

Paul Magnussen

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

and the pause between bass and treble in flamenco tremolo is a relatively recent phenomenon, as can be seen at 1:30 in this Sabicas Rondeña, and at 5:58 in the alegrias.

Seems to me that it was introduced by Ricardo, and Lucía copied it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2011 16:21:35

Paul Magnussen

It’s not a question or one or the other: a classical guitarist will usually use rest stroke when he wants to emphasise a bass note, free stroke otherwise.

Listen to Segovia playing Recuerdos: you can hear it quite clearly.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2011 16:23:54

Chiste de Gales

quote:

ORIGINAL: rombsix

quote:

What is tremolo?

This guy is using the wrong term. He is talking about vibrato. If he is a professional, then he should know this. Old electric amps used to have an electronic effect that would quickly fade the volume in and out- it was wrongly called 'tremolo'. Thats probably where he learned this term.

He's obviously self taught when it comes to a nylon string guitar playing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2011 13:31:34

Chiste de Gales

RE: Classical versus flamenco tremolo (in reply to Chiste de Gales

This is an example of what we are talking about.
It is, however, a 4 note classical tremolo: p a m i
Flamenco is 5-note: p i a m i
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2011 13:37:06
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll