Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

burning all non-flamenco guitar bridges   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

at_leo_87

burning all non-flamenco guitar bridges 

so it's been two years since i touched a non-flamenco guitar. well... one year if you dont count my makeshift faux negra cheap classical as a flamenco guitar.

i've been getting a strong urge to sell all my old guitars and pedals and cables, etc.

they're just sitting there collecting dust. somebody else out there can be finding value in these instruments. plus selling them could help me pay for a better flamenco guitar.

but i still have a strange attachment to them. it feels a bit uncomfortable to know that i wont see them ever again. after all, my electric was my first guitar ever, besides my ukulele.

has anyone else been through a similar experience? what did you do?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 5:59:08

Elie

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to at_leo_87

Doooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn't sell any
I've always considered my guitars as my children lol , in addition I have different adventures with each and I'm not gonna sell something value to me at a cheap salary because it's old . that's my opinion
I have 8 guitars (3classic,2flamenco,1bass,1electric,1acoustic) and yep they're gonna stay wid me .

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 6:28:54

Graham_B

quote:

Doooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn't sell any

Dooooo sell

quote:

I've always considered my guitars as my children

My son has 7 (3 flamenco, 2 classical, 1 acoustic, 1 electric)
Too many children methinks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 14:37:34

VietFlamenco

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to Graham_B

Yea you guys have too many guitars. I think ideally, you only need 2 guitars. One to play with and the other as spare when you're waiting on new strings to settle in. This is of course subjective. If you're going to play other genre of music, I suggest you keep your babies.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 16:44:21

James Ashley Mayer

Don't sell anything unless you really need the money. I started out my guitar "career" with a three-year obsession of nothing but flamenco. However, I made a lot of musical friends and became more open to other influences. I now own an archtop Gibson steel-string acoustic from the 30's, an electric baritone guitar for the spaghetti western sound, 7 lap steels in various tuning, a pedal steel, an oud, a cumbus, plenty of pedal and a few amps. I also have a flamenco blanca, of course, and a nice classical that I've "converted" to a flamenco negra. It's nice to be able to pick up different instruments and learn from them, even if it's just a different kind of guitar. Playing lap steel and learning it's strengths and limitations has taught me a great deal about music theory and and improved my ear, sense of microtones, etc. It all adds up to a fuller musical experience, in my opinion.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 17:43:02

Munin

I used to play a lot of Tommy Emmanuel songs with hybrid picking when I also started out with flamenco. For a while I played both my steel string guitar with a pick and the flamenco guitar with my fingers. I noticed that after switching my hands would always feel very strange and foreign with the new instrument. After I while I even realized this sort of impeded my progress with flamenco guitar so with a heavy heart I dropped the steel string altogether.

I recently tried picking it up again but the switch still felt really odd and still I'm too scared to do both again now. Maybe it's possible when you're really really good at least at one of the instruments...after all, guys like Todd are a master at everything...makes me jealous.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 18:08:39

James Ashley Mayer

Hmm, the only issues I've ever had with coming back to nylon from another instrument is getting re-adjusted to the string spacing. 2-3 minutes of scales and everything is good.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 18:17:43

Ron.M

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to Munin

quote:

Maybe it's possible when you're really really good at least at one of the instruments...after all, guys like Todd are a master at everything...makes me jealous.

So is Vicente Amigo!

Some of the best Electric playing I've ever heard!

(StSanders doesn't even have to try! )

Umm...Stick to the Day Job, Vicente man....

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 18:31:46

HemeolaMan

keep. you will get bored with flamenco someday.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 20:42:26

Ron.M

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to HemeolaMan

quote:

you will get bored with flamenco someday.

Naahh!

Impossible...

You might give up in frustration....but NEVER lose interest IMO.

Once you get hooked, you get hooked for life.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 20:51:07

at_leo_87

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to Ron.M

thanks for the replies. man, some of you have WAAY too many guitars. lol!

quote:

Naahh!

Impossible...

You might give up in frustration....but NEVER lose interest IMO.

this is the way im feeling it is, atm. there's just SO much to freakin' learn. i dabbled with other genres in the beginning and got bored with them. so im having the opposite experience as some of you.

plus if i ever get a bit curious, i can still play other stuff on my flamenco. for instance, i learned that riff from "carry on my wayward son."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 21:19:04

Chiste de Gales

Keep them all. You may use them for teaching someday.
The time may come when you will want to play on that gear again.
Anyway, that stuff should be considered family heirlooms for you to pass on.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 11:01:02

kozz

Get ridd of them!

Do you want your son/daughter to live with you for the rest of your life? (hypothetically spoken ofcourse)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 14:45:07

gj Michelob

quote:

It seems to be that way, really. Chronically and irreversibly addictive

I sold my Martin EC28, Ramirez 1A (classical) and my Manuel Rodriguez E... I simply could not play them anymore.
Nail ruining steel strings?
Tendinitis causing high action?
Scale-picado hindering booming basses?
No Golpeadores?
How do you go back to those things after you played a Blanca?

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 15:24:50

Arash

sell !

you will never get bored from flamenco - unless you have never really been into it!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 15:26:50

at_leo_87

it's really interesting to see the different opinions here. so far, we've got 4 votes for don't sell and 7 votes for do sell.

quote:

Anyway, that stuff should be considered family heirlooms for you to pass on.

good point. but they're not very high end stuff. my children would lose respect for me if i passed on this crap....

quote:

Do you want your son/daughter to live with you for the rest of your life? (hypothetically spoken ofcourse)

you're right! it's time these slackers and moochers get their own place!

quote:

How do you go back to those things after you played a Blanca?

exactly! plus im finding just how versatile a blanca is. even my crappy c3f.

quote:

you will never get bored from flamenco - unless you have never really been into it!

yes! there's just sooo much to learn. every time i learn something new, i realize there's more to learn. that ongoing cycle always renews my enthusiasm.

some good news. i sold my first electric to a good old friend of mine. so even though, it wont be mine anymore, it's still close by. that makes it a bit easier. and i know he'll take care of it and put it to good use. he definitely wont toss it into a drumset like i did once.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 17:11:10

Estevan

When I first saw the heading on this thread it struck me as strange because I had an image of you taking a blow torch to the lower end of all your non-flamenco guitars...

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 17:47:04

at_leo_87

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to Estevan

quote:

When I first saw the heading on this thread it struck me as strange because I had an image of you taking a blow torch to the lower end of all your non-flamenco guitars...

i would do that with pleasure. for anyone whoever had to deal with a floyd rose bridge, you know how frustrating they can be. i love acoustics. no whammy bars, no knobs or levers, etc.

next, im taking a chainsaw to all my unnecessary drums.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 22:59:49

gj Michelob

quote:

Umm...Stick to the Day Job, Vicente man....

cheers,

Ron

I know... he really sucks on the EG. But not as bad on his Blanca...

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 23:20:28

cathulu

I am sort of in the same boat. I got an electric amp and guitar that I never play, among other stuff. But they were not high quality stuff begin with, so they aren't worth much and I keep around in case my son decides to play. But I probably should sell and get what little value out of it that I can. I am probably a year or two away from that decision.

So good on you, sell it to someone that will get some use out of it, or give it away even.

That Vincente video is just wretched. What an ego!

Funny, GJ, from what I read you sounded bored of Flamenco a little while ago, getting ready to drop it, now you are saying it is chronically addictive. I guess it is, a drug that even when you know it is bad for you - you keep doing it! For me, I am learning some jazz stuff on my Flamenco Guitar to mix things up as well as continuing Flamenco with whatever talent I can muster. Funny the Jazz stuff is easier than Flamenco...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 2:12:39

kozz

quote:

next, im taking a chainsaw to all my unnecessary drums.

Oh no....
My adress is:
somewhereineindhovenstreet 167
808 TB
Netherlands

thanks

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 4:58:01

at_leo_87

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to kozz

quote:

Oh no....
My adress is:
somewhereineindhovenstreet 167
808 TB
Netherlands

thanks

ok, you get a free gift with that. soniquete steroids, duende mushrooms, or a pair of nike aire zapatos.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 6:58:50

gj Michelob

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

Funny, GJ, from what I read you sounded bored of Flamenco a little while ago, getting ready to drop it, now you are saying it is chronically addictive. I guess it is, a drug that even when you know it is bad for you - you keep doing it! For me, I am learning some jazz stuff on my Flamenco Guitar to mix things up as well as continuing Flamenco with whatever talent I can muster. Funny the Jazz stuff is easier than Flamenco...

Cathulu, it is ironic you should mention my recent wavering sentiment toward flamenco. In fact, I meant to address it in my post, but hesitated, as I already had sufficiently bored this Foro with my personal flights on the subject.

Composing my piece for the Challenge did really “challenge” me. I disliked my work, but had to press on for sake of the competition’s welfare. This disappointment was exacerbated by a degree of dissatisfaction with the sound of my guitar(s) which I inevitably associated with the sound of my recording. It was quite a frustrating source of stress.

However, the flamenco addiction resiliently survived all such discontent, and slowly converted into a renewed energy and appetite to learn more.

As it for everything in life, at times we instinctively succumb to a defense-mechanism and take distance from all which relates to an incident or person causing distress. In due course, nonetheless, time segregates treasures from rubbish. And we may rush back to the garbage where we had hurriedly tossed a photograph, a book or a score thus defeating the malady of an adversity with the enduring privilege of a passion.

(probably, now you see why I hesitated commenting on my experience!)

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 14:26:10

changue

I vote for selling the lot. That's what I did. I had a load of stuff - some of which I was quite attached to - but I woke up one morning and put the lot on ebay. That was a few years ago. I've never regretted it. You can play anything on a good blanca. Good luck, whatever you do.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 17:19:04

Leendert

quote:

so it's been two years since i touched a non-flamenco guitar. well... one year if you dont count my makeshift faux negra cheap classical as a flamenco guitar.

i've been getting a strong urge to sell all my old guitars and pedals and cables, etc.

they're just sitting there collecting dust. somebody else out there can be finding value in these instruments. plus selling them could help me pay for a better flamenco guitar.

but i still have a strange attachment to them. it feels a bit uncomfortable to know that i wont see them ever again. after all, my electric was my first guitar ever, besides my ukulele.

has anyone else been through a similar experience? what did you do?

Wow...that sounds so similar to my experience! I was about to post this very same thing recently but in the end decided not to, cause I`d thought not a lot of you would share my background as an 'electric' musician. (or just have so much crap around :)
I too have COMPLETELY devoted myself to listen/play and learn Flamenco, and barely any other music seems to strike a chord with me anymore....Here I am in my 'music room' with 2 electrics, a bass, a synth, electronic drum kit, 19" gear, crates full of cables, pedals, mics, stands... and every time my eye catches them, I`m feeling exactly the same.
For me the only reason I did not got rid of them YET is cause some of them are having some serious wear and tare on them and therefore most likely have little value to others....and if I have the choice to keep it around or pretty much give it away, I rather keep it, I spend a ton of money on it after all....
However, will I ever us it again?? At this moment I seriously doubt it, maybe the mics and recording units.....but I dont know....for now I guess, despite it being a thorn in my eyes (and room) I`ll have it eat some more dust :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 18:37:35

at_leo_87

RE: burning all non-flamenco guitar ... (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

As it for everything in life, at times we instinctively succumb to a defense-mechanism and take distance from all which relates to an incident or person causing distress. In due course, nonetheless, time segregates treasures from rubbish. And we may rush back to the garbage where we had hurriedly tossed a photograph, a book or a score thus defeating the malady of an adversity with the enduring privilege of a passion.

very nice. thanks for sharing, gj. i have to say it's also this forum and posts like these that keep me going.

quote:

but I woke up one morning and put the lot on ebay.

im trying the craigslist route first.

quote:

I too have COMPLETELY devoted myself to listen/play and learn Flamenco, and barely any other music seems to strike a chord with me anymore....Here I am in my 'music room' with 2 electrics, a bass, a synth, electronic drum kit, 19" gear, crates full of cables, pedals, mics, stands... and every time my eye catches them, I`m feeling exactly the same.

that's a lot of stuff! i would keep the drums and recording stuff. that can still be used for flamenco.

all the other stuff with wear and tear, some musicians dont care for shiny new equipment. they just want something that works. even if it doesn't work, someone else might have the time to fix it up.

my new amp should be here any minute in the mail now. by selling stuff, i make more room and it PAYS for the new stuff. so it's sort of like it's free.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 19:23:07

gj Michelob

From your posts, you are inexorably hechizado by flamenco.

I think the question will soon be we whether you should own, collect and how many, a plurality of guitars. The incessant search for a “better” Blanca never settles that for the “best” Blanca, while the possibilities a Negra might open will continue to haunt you.

And then there is vintage and traditional, relogiously made in Spain v. “new” following more modern standards, of neck width, size, bracing patterns, Made in the USA? Machines or Pegs? French Polish or Laquer?

There is enough variety in Flamenco Guitars to warrant an extensive but focused collection you will undoubtedly build over time.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 19:49:02

at_leo_87

quote:

There is enough variety in Flamenco Guitars to warrant an extensive but focused collection you will undoubtedly build over time.

ah but you see, like you, im a romantic. i prefer to focus all my energy on only one and see where it develops.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 20:28:12

gj Michelob

quote:

i prefer to focus all my energy on only one and see where it develops.

Your unequivocal statement does:

1. Answer your question on whether to sell all instruments and concentrate on your flamenco guitar;
2. Contradict your diffuse complaint that you need a new Blanca to replace your modest Manuel Rodriguez cf3. See, you will (and I can only wish you do) replace your instrument. How many times you will, that is the question.

I endorse the theory of concentrating on one only, and I too am resolved to ultimately cultivate my such one and only, but it may take a few before you land on the right guitar.

[and that is a nice problem to have]

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 20:41:21

at_leo_87

quote:

2. Contradict your diffuse complaint that you need a new Blanca to replace your modest Manuel Rodriguez cf3. See, you will (and I can only wish you do) replace your instrument. How many times you will, that is the question.

over the past couple of months, my c3f and i have grown in different directions. it's time for us both to move on. it's not developing in the direction i want it to.

let me rephrase...
i prefer to focus all my energy on only one at a time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 21:22:39
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post