Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   6 7 [8] 9 10    >   >>
[Poll]

Bulerías basic timekeeping.

Marking a steady beat in 2's (2,4,6 etc)?
  28% (19)
"Al Golpe" (1,2 - 4,,5 - 7,8 - 10,11)?
  9% (6)
Marking the accented beats (3,6,8,10,12 or 7,8)?
  30% (20)
A combination of the above
  31% (21)

Total Votes : 66

(last vote on : Nov. 6 2019 16:01:41) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

zata

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Guest

“I think you are missing the point.
Experienced singers will set the
rhythm and their voice dictates
what is going on.”

As always, God is in the details. The singer sets the rhythm and works the compás as he or she sees fit, not in units of twelve, but as accents. A singer’s concept of the rhythm and the compás does not, at any moment, cease to rule (in standard flamenco, and as long as the singer is actually singing). Catching the first “1-2-3” does not free the guitarist to travel merrily down the lane of his own creative concepts, but rather he must be taking a reading every second. Right now envision a traditional set of singer and guitarist: the singer is intently into his or her own moment, nearly always with closed eyes – the guitarist leans over his guitar and stares intently at the singer. It’s not a mere tradition, but an absolute necessity which reflects the dynamic of traditional cante. I keep emphasizing “traditional” or “standard” because studio flamenco, which has become so popular, makes its own rules.

“Good singers will know how to reflect
compas with rhytmic ideas. This is what
is meant by singers who sing "in" compas
or "out" of compas. “

Twixt the cup and the lip is the limbo where a guitarist using Ricardo’s system, which is viable but different, imposes his own concept of what he believes the singer really means, or ought to do...just like Ricardo Pachón believes Antonio Mairena couldn’t sing in compás. I’m not theorizing. At fiestas you sometimes come across amateur guitarists who haven’t had experience accompanying. In those situations a singer can either decide to follow, just to get through the moment and not spoil the party or simply stop singing.

”Ricardo- I'll never agree with you again.”

You don’t need to agree with him or anyone else. There are realities anyone can learn by accompanying a variety of singers in a variety of situations, and lots of observation. I just watched the María la Sabina episode of Rito y Geografía with my morning coffee. Her compás is amazing, and not a twelve in sight. The primitive guitarist accompanies her as closely as a limpet clings to a rock. Ricardo would tell us she couldn’t sing in compás.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2006 9:40:12

zata

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo
Oh, and in regards to "iron clad" and putting a metronome against flamenco players, you would be surprised how precise they are if you find the exact tempo.

Until you actually get out the metronome and try, it's easy to think there is mathematical precision. Only then do you realize the important flux that's always taking place.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2006 9:55:15

Ricardo

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to zata

quote:

You can’t possibly think it has to do with the words.

That was about the colatilla tiritran thing. And NO I don't. That is why I brought it up.

quote:

Cante works over what Spanish musicians call a “colchón” (I don’t know what that is in English, perhaps ‘drone’?),

Calchon is like a mattress for a bed. The cante would "lie" on top. But in music that Calchon could be like rasgueados on the guitar. It supports underneath very clear. But rhythm in flamenco is more than just strumming and marking accents. The rhythm of a melody, be it falseta or cante, is intrinsicly tied to the base rhythm. In that way, one can imply the other if it is not there. Cante works not only on top of rasgueados, but also with palmas,or foot only. And, if need be, with nothing at all, just the feeling inside. Know what that feeling is, is how an accompanist can "read" a singer and follow him. Especially a singer who does not do palmas when singing.

quote:

You’ve invented a system that works for you and your circle of regulars,

I have done no such thing.

quote:

does not free the guitarist to travel merrily down the lane of his own creative concepts, but rather he must be taking a reading every second.

I Never said nor implied anything like that. Sheesh. What do you suppose the guitarist is "reading", if not the melody of the singer? That would be the notes or tones, and the RHYTHM. That is what makes a melody. You keep implying that rhythm for a singer is different for the singer than a guitarist. Then how would any guitarist know or care what to "read" from the singer? (not talkng about 12 count or compas limits, just rhythm). You made it clear the guitarist can't go on his own rhythm and the singer sings to it. I agree. So what rhythm is he going by if not the singers? And you mentioned a guitarist that did not follow, the singer had to "follow him"? So, how COULD the singer even do that by the same logic, if he had different concept of rhythm than the guitarist?

In any case, guitar accompanists DO have a lot of creative freedoms anyway, in regards to accents and chords he likes to use. Diffferent approach for the same letra or singer than another guitarist. That is part of a guitarist's personal style and why Parrilla sounds different than Habichuela when accompanying. The thing they understand, is how the cante melody fits to what they play, and can adjust according to the singer if the singer does it different too, while still keeping their own style.

Have you never seen a singer sing fuera compas? Ever? And if they did, would you say it is totally ok because the singer is allowed to have their own rhythm? Do you think Paquera sings bulerias however she pleases and cares nothing about the accents and rhythm of Parilla or palmas?

quote:

Ricardo would tell us she couldn’t sing in compás.

I never said any such thing. Or do you mean Pachon? And did he ever say that? Maybe there is a specific thing of Mairena he did not like? Not fair to speak from someone elses view point.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2006 17:18:49

Ron.M

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to sonikete

quote:

On the contrary, foot tapping is extremely important. And then i mean tapping in two´s or three´s. Thats when you have internalized the compas and no longer rely on outside crutches like a metronome or a loop.

This is a great example of how Gerardo's foot beats out a steady rhythm, completely independant of what he's playing on the guitar, probably so he can fit in all his advanced syncopated stuff.

NOT!!

(Keep watching the foot throughout!..)

cheers

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2006 20:35:46

Ricardo

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

When you are playing, you don't want to have to think about it. I guess you can put Gerardo in the category with Vicente and Sanlucar, although, the majority of the time Gerardo was doing 12,2,4, etc. The alzapua he clearly felt in 3s, 12,3,6,9, but he is certainly not relying on his foot tap as you pointed out. It is just a feeling of where you might feel an emphasis. Notice he almost gets into 1,2, 4,5,7,8 etc, but then quickly abandon's it for an accent. I dont' think he is very aware, just whatever feels good.

For the record, when TEACHING in class, Gerardo will keep the foot going when we are first learning how it is supposed to feel, either 12,2,4, 12,3,6, or the accents, depending on how he wants us to feel it. It is a good tool for communicating rhythm, once you understand what it means.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2006 22:57:32

Anders Eliasson

quote:

For the record, when TEACHING in class, Gerardo will keep the foot going when we are first learning how it is supposed to feel, either 12,2,4, 12,3,6, or the accents, depending on how he wants us to feel it. It is a good tool for communicating rhythm, once you understand what it means.

This more or less gives me a feeling on how things work. That the tapping is in order to learn, to teach and some times to communicate. Teach yourself by tapping and then later on let it go and play. (MHO)

I cant understand how you can only communicate in flamenco by SEING the foot tapping as Estela said some pages ago. This would meen that blind people would not be able to play flamenco with others??? In this case it would be the only music form I´ve heard of where blind people cant join the show.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2006 8:21:17

duende

i don´t have to see the foot of the guitarists playing on my cd´s
i can feel what kind of beat to use by listening

of course its personal also what feels best.

for example the alzapua intro off Almoramia (PDL) feels good in both 12,2,4,6 etc AND 12,3,6,8,10.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2006 17:37:56

Ron.M

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to duende

quote:

for example the alzapua intro off Almoramia (PDL) feels good in both 12,2,4,6 etc AND 12,3,6,8,10.

Yeah Henrik,..

But Paco's doing that for effect!

Every real Flamenco guitarist I've ever met are more than capable of supplying their own "foot-compás".
(Same as Ricardo is saying)

So that, in itself is a lesson to everyone here.

BTW..

Does anybody remember that great movie "The Jerk"?
Steve Martin is lying in his little bed out in the sticks, when the crackly radio starts broadcasting Swing/Jazz from Chicago...
Suddenly his foot gets a "twitch" and he has to get out of bed and start to dance...
It's the first time he's ever been exposed to rhythm...
He tries to stop it...but he can't.
His "dancing" foot leads him all around the room and he tries to stop it and hollers out for help, 'cause he doesn't know what's happening to him.

Now that is a truly independant foot! LOL!

cheers

Ron

PS...One of the other bits of the movie I loved, was when his Dad was having a heart-to-heart in the yard with his son who was leaving the family home to make his own way in the World saying..

(Taking some Dollars from his wallet)...

See This son...It's called Moula....Got it?

Then pointing at some Dog **** in the yard....
He says..

And that's called Dogshit.... got it?

Steve says..

OK... I think I got it....

That's moula....and thats dogshit!!

The proud Father claps him on the shoulder, for a wisdom-lesson learned.

I could go on and on over this movie, where he writes back home to his Mom and Dad and says..

"I met this really nice girl at the Chicago Funfair....She's really cool and has this Tattoo below her stomach that says "Warning!..Slippery When Wet!"
She did this thing to me called ..."A Blowjob".

I think I'm gonna do this A LOT!....
From Chicago...
Your Loving Son..."

You gotta see it..if you haven't already!
If you haven't then get it this Chirstmas Hols!

cheers

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2006 20:29:56

ToddK

Ron!! This is further proof of our kindred spirits!!!

The Jerk is ony of my All Time Favorite movies!!!!!!!

My father and i used to constantly quote lines from that movie.

Did you know, "i was born a poor black child"?

Hey!! i know, how about a flamenco version of "Im picking out a thermos for you"

How about when he's reading her letter, in the bathtub, so the ink starts
running.
"dear Navin, i waoriew to wah wah about weh wah wee wah wah.

LOVE IT!!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2006 21:11:00

Mark2

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Anders Eliasson

The idea that you can't stay locked with someone unless you can see their foot taps is redickuless. I'm sure that blind people can play or sing just fine too. It may be a bit harder, but it can be done. On a theatre stage, you can't always see the dancer, and you can't keep your eyes on the singer the whole time either.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

I cant understand how you can only communicate in flamenco by SEING the foot tapping as Estela said some pages ago. This would meen that blind people would not be able to play flamenco with others??? In this case it would be the only music form I´ve heard of where blind people cant join the show.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 1:05:39

Mark2

I don't need anything!!!!

Except this lamp!

Navin Johnson
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 1:07:47

zata

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Ricardo

Sorry for the delay, I’m in Cádiz for a few days, not much free time. I’ve tried to keep this orderly, hope it’s not too confusing.

quote:

That was about the colatilla tiritran thing. And NO I don't. That is why I brought it up.

I spoke about the Cádiz custom of using the voice as a percussive instrument. It was you asked if words could change the compás. The answer is no.

quote:

Cante works over what Spanish musicians call a “colchón” (I don’t know what that is in English, perhaps ‘drone’?),

quote:

Calchon is like a mattress for a bed.

:-)...right, colchón...:-)... And it’s the musical term for what I’ve since confirmed in English is a ‘drone’, so we’ve all learned something.

quote:

The cante would "lie"on top. But in music that Calchon could be like rasgueados on the guitar. It supports underneath very clear.

A colchón is like what Arcángel does when he sings tonás accompanied by a single continuous note which resembles the sound of a cellist drawing his bow slowly across one string over a period of several minutes. Strummed chords can be a colchón as well, provided no rhythmic structure is imposed.

quote:

But rhythm in flamenco is more than just strumming and marking accents.

The colchón, by definition, imposes neither accents nor rhythm, it’s a harmonic backdrop. In basic cante (obviously other palos are different), the guitarist works percussively with rhythm and compás, harmonically with a drone. If you were to sing siguiriyas, you would immediately see how the singer is free to whip up melodies, and they will always sound “right” provided the guitarist isn’t trying to second-guess the singer. If there’s going to be a resolution in Do or Sol as some siguiriyas de cambio have, there is no choice but to wait for the singer to actually express the intervals that require those chords. To detect the precise moment, you have to cling to the singer’s every breath and of course, have visual contact, because the singer’s compás is what rules. Your surprise that singer and guitarist could not interact if they could not see each other indicates you don’t adhere to this arrangement.

quote:

The rhythm of a melody, be it falseta or cante, is intrinsicly tied to the base rhythm.

In popular music and many flamenco forms (guajira, petenera corta, alegrías, colombiana, farruca, etc...) this is true. I tend to think of cante as the basic trinity of soleá-siguiriyas-bulerías where the colchón is the base and the above statement doesn’t apply for cante as it does for guitar. In fact, I now think I’m to blame for creating a misunderstanding, because I was only considering basic cante, which somehow seems more “real”, but that’s a personal and unfair judgement.

quote:

In that way, one can imply the other if it is not there.

This is the flaw. With a competent singer, no guitarist has the authority to determine if the compás is “there”, at least in basic cante (as opposed to other cantes which function like pop music). “Not there” is your own subjective opinion, which as guitarist, is irrelevant during the cante. I know it sounds despotic and unfair, but the system works and is used by traditional interpreters. (Now it occurs to me you might mean in between letras when the singer isn't singing, in which case, disregard).

quote:

Cante works not only on top of rasgueados, but also with palmas,or foot only. And, if need be, with nothing at all, just the feeling inside. Know what that feeling is, is how an accompanist can "read"a singer and follow him.

It doesn’t work like that in practice. “The feeling inside”...but that’s the singer’s “inside”, not yours, and this brings us back to the metronome test which shows that not only compás, but even rhythm is perceived in different ways at different moments by different people, and cante has evolved in such a way that the singer commands. And this is turn is why the absence of eye contact makes basic cante impossible to accompany except in the jukebox sense where singer and guitarist would go through set motions. I’m almost certain it’s not possible to discuss this issue in writing.

quote:

You’ve invented a system that works for you and your circle of regulars.

quote:

I have done no such thing.

You think you’re being a good samaritan when you help or fill out or correct the singer’s compás, but that can only by justified with inexperienced singers.

quote:

does not free the guitarist to travel merrily down the lane
of his own creative concepts, but rather he must be taking
a reading every second.

quote:

I Never said nor implied anything like that. Sheesh.
What do you suppose the guitarist is "reading", if not
the melody of the singer? That would be the notes
or tones, and the RHYTHM. That is what makes a melody.

“Taking a reading” means monitoring one fraction of a step *behind* the singer, fine-tuning the accompaniment every second.

quote:

You keep implying that rhythm for a singer is different for the singer than a guitarist.

No, I’m not implying it, I’m stating it flatly because it’s what I’ve observed over the second half of the twentieth century singing, playing guitar and dancing, and the concepts I’ve tried to express are what allow me to interact with other interpreters which is important to me....blind obedience to form is what lets the creative juices flow freely. You can’t imagine how different it feels to sing freely or sing being "bullied" by a guitarist who no doubt thinks he’s being helpful.

quote:

Then how would any guitarist know or care what to "read"from the singer?

To accompany well you have to read, and then react appropriately to that reading.

quote:

In any case, guitar accompanists DO have a lot of creative freedoms anyway, in regards to accents and chords he likes to use.

Accents don’t matter as long as there’s compás, but ill-advised chords can be very restrictive. One night a singer may weave a melody the guitarist thinks would sound good with an unusual alternative chord, and it sounds great. The next night, if the guitarist plays that same chord in the same spot, it might not sound as cool as the night before if the singer modifies the melody, and a dilemma is born. Does the singer charge through the cante and pay no attention to the guitarist, or try duplicate the melodic modification of the previous night? Few contemporary accompanists realize how confining this is, Marote spoke at length about this. One of the greatest guitarists his time, admired by everyone from Paco de Lucía “on down”, said he could no longer play for singers under a certain age because they needed to hear specific chords he didn’t use.

quote:

The thing they understand, is how the cante melody fits to what they play, and can adjust according to the singer if the singer does it different too, while still keeping their own style.

That’s close to correct. Great accompanists know the melodies of traditional cantes but never impose how they “fit”. Knowing the melodies gives them a jump-start so they’re always primed to back up the cante just right. If you play for a cuplé por bulerías you never heard before, you won’t have any problem with compás, but the chances of getting the chords right are small.

quote:

Have you never seen a singer sing fuera compas? Ever? And if they did, would you say it is totally ok because the singer is allowed to have their own rhythm? Do you think Paquera sings however she pleases and cares nothing about the accents and rhythm of Parilla?

Paquera did not follow Parrilla or Morao or anyone else. Without compás, there’s nothing, but compás is not the absolute value you think it is. It is in constant flux, and as a guitarist you don’t get to impose your personal concept of compás at a given moment. Cantes like siguiriya have much more leeway for “creative phrasing”, but even a clippy Jerez bulerías does flux, that’s where the metronome test comes in, and it’s the reason a guitarist cannot accompany a singer, except in a limited “song” sense, unless he can see the singer.

quote:

Ricardo would tell us she couldn’t sing in compás.

quote:

I never said any such thing.

I know you didn’t, that’s why I used the conditional tense.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 1:21:09

zata

quote:

Ah yes, the terrible twos, another feature of bulerías I've been talking about for years, provoking the occasional threat against my physical integrity.

If it's good enough for Gerry....

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 1:28:19

[Deleted] (in reply to zata

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 1:34:59

zata

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Mark2

quote:

I cant understand how you can only communicate in flamenco by SEING the foot tapping as Estela said some pages ago.

Oops...go back to the message. Visual contact is required, and it's not usually the foot, however I was in an unusual situation where that was the only rhythmic communication with the guitarist.

quote:

This would meen that blind people would not be able to play flamenco with others??? In this case it would be the only music form I´ve heard of where blind people cant join the show.

Yes, flamenco is different from many other kinds of music. Blind guitarists can be followed but not follow.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 1:36:34

zata

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Guest

quote:

I always enjoy your posts but I think you, like many people based in Spain(not Spaniards), assume that foreign guitarists never get any experience with good singers. Nor have lessons or valuable conversations with singers and accompanists.

Romerito, consider that I have no way of knowing how much time a given person spends in Spain each year, or who they learn from in their own country, so I can only address the things they say. That's why I try to quote meticulously.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 1:50:55

mrMagenta

Ok, a bit off topic now.
I'm by no means a flamenco expert, so I'm just writing as a fan of folk music, whatever form.

There is nothing at fault with the principle of reading/following the singer, while she/he is singing, just as Estela writes. However, I've seen many performances that have been spoiled by despotic attitutdes and big heads. Where, however nice things may sound, you're just not enjoying it. Now that's an altogether different thing.

If musicians won't give eachother room things will feel uneasy.. (IMO) flamenco is at its best when there is a tangible equality between its parts, and theese boost eachother, as opposed to some whizz seating herself/himself upon the whole performance. These attitudes are sensed!

I saw a show with Israel Galvan that had a sense of equality between Israel, Terremoto and Alfredo. Israels name was ten times larger on the poster, but the layout of the show gave room for all, thus also making Israels dancing come out better. However, this would quickly go bad if it all served just that one, large poster ego.

In bulgarian kaval music, a flutist plays a single drone note, while the other flutist plays an improvized part (Ezgija), then after the solist is done.. if the roles don't reverse you'll end up missing out on a whole dimension.

In flamenco there is ample space for the singer, the guitarist and the dancer. I don't see the need of any one to have the lionshare of the right of expression. I'm sure this isn't what you're saying, but the with words like despot and drone, I just had to state my rabid leftist, guitar-biased opinion! :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 7:08:23

Anders Eliasson

quote:

There is nothing at fault with the principle of reading/following the singer, while she/he is singing, just as Estela writes. However, I've seen many performances that have been spoiled by despotic attitutdes and big heads. Where, however nice things may sound, you're just not enjoying it. Now that's an altogether different thing.

So have I, and the big majority has been in flamenco.... There´s nothing that can spoil a show like a bigheaded singer with mean eyes saying: follow me you stupid little guitar dog. They are completely missing the whole point of interaction and "lets work together". IMHO its the biggest problem with flamenco, that very often someone has to put his/her ego above everyone else and in a dictator way tell how things have to be....... Thats not art..... and its not even fun.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 7:53:58

sonikete

Inspiration is usually more the reason than a big ego for cutting off a falseta or shortening the compas when it comes to singers. And even if it might feel like abuse against the guitarist, the job he has is to accompany the singer, nothing else except inspire the singer and play falsetas when they forget the lyrics.

And the point with tapping is that when you are in a situation alone with a singer for example you have to tap, even if you might not do that with other backing.

The difference between sitting at home and playing live with real people, is that when you are home, you have backing in terms of loops and metronomes, but when you play live YOU are the backing.

And thats a lot more difficult than playing to a loop or memorizing a solo.

The point in tapping in twos´s or three´s is that it would be useless to tap the accents when the singer is doing half a compas and you wouldnt know when he/she decided to do that.

Two´s or threes´s works in sixes as well, accents dont.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 8:12:13

Ricardo

quote:

It was you asked if words could change the compás.

No, I never asked. I was trying to point out the the melody and rhythm was more or less the same thing, lack of actual lyrics did not suddenly make it more percussive, or more "rhythmic" than every other type of cante. Perhaps you think when I say rhythmic, i mean "percussive"? I dont' by the way. A melody can have rhythm and not be percussive. A "percussive" melody would be a weird thing, unless it was mutted or very staccato.

About Calchon/drone. Well, there would be no point for the guitarist to change chords at all, if the accompanysit's job was to simply supply a drone. That is what a drone is, the fundamental tonic. Modal music is based on this. Modal music, or any music with drones implies NO HARMONY or NO CHORDS. Flamenco surely mixes the ideas of east and west in this respect. The idea that a flamenco singer can some how signal a chord change, defies the point of modality. So to me, calchon is chords, and chords are not a drone. But man is that off topic!

quote:

I tend to think of cante as the basic trinity of soleá-siguiriyas-bulerías where the colchón is the base

Well, I think what you are getting at is that you think of the cantes in phrygian (vs major or minor keys) as more modal (need drone), which is fair. Could put tientos in there too, but then it is not a trinity is it? Anyway, that is you, but I don't make that distinction. I still consider anything where you have chord changes mixed in, it is using tonality. And in terms of rhythm of the cante, which is a separate thing from the way it is harmonized, it does not matter. Cante can be sung to palmas only. My point is that a palmero could "find the beat" when hearing cante, just as easy (if the palmero understands the melody) as the singer could sing to palmas that had already started. Likewise, a guitarist can pick up on the rhythm of the singer, without first having to see his or her foot. I say as easy for Solea as Alegrias.

quote:

“The feeling inside”...but that’s the singer’s “inside”, not yours,

Sorry, but as an accompanist, I try to make that feeling "mine" too. If not, how are we EVER together?

quote:

cante has evolved in such a way that the singer commands.

I have never said the guitarist leads. My point always was that the guitar follows, follows the RHYTHM of the singer. And the tones. "base cante" or "alegrias", does not matter which. But the guitarist has to KNOW what it is the singer is doing rhythmically. There are lots of indicators in the voice, lots of guitarists can sing too. Surely the better accompanists can at least sing stuff in rhythm, even if they don't have a nice voice.

I admit there is a lot of helpful clues to SEE in the body language of the singer, perhaps the foot, but mainly the face. But ultimately it is what is comming out of the mouth, the MELODY that dictates what the accompanist does.
quote:

You think you’re being a good samaritan when you help or fill out or correct the singer’s compás, but that can only by justified with inexperienced singers.

Then what would it be, compas wise, that an "experienced" singer has over an inexperienced one? Especially, if singers are free to interpret as they like with "base cante"? For the record, I tend to not do that, but was just giving an example. If there is a "wrong" way to sing rhythmically, then there must be a "right way", that is my point.

quote:

“Taking a reading” means monitoring one fraction of a step *behind* the singer,

"fraction of a step"? That is somehow NOT related to rhythm?
quote:

Without compás, there’s nothing, but compás is not the absolute value you think it is. It is in constant flux,

You keep bringing up the metronome "test", but that is regarding TEMPO only, just a part of what compas and rhythm means. I never said the guitarist imposes his rhythm to the singer, I am saying the singer can even FLUX as you say, the tempo, based on the RHYTHM of his melody. THAT is something the guitarist needs to understand and READ, in order to NOT impose his own personal tempo. Final point being the Cante has RHYTHM that is felt from inside and expressed outward in the melody.

quote:

Blind guitarists can be followed but not follow.

This gets the crux of our differing point of view. I admit that there are helpful things to observe visually, especially the face, but the melody itself, the notes and rhythm coming out of the singer's mouth, is the main thing. A blind guitarist who understands cante COULD possibely accompany better than a seeing guitarist who does not know it as well, and just keeps time by watching a singers foot. Likewise a blind singer can follow a metronomic guitarist's chords, without needing to see his foot. I am sure there are some excellent blind accompanists around. And I think it is a very unfair general statement to make.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 9:49:22

sonikete

Some singers have had more experience singing patrás and might play guitar themselves and they are usually more diplomatic to the guitarist and easier to accompany than the ones that are used to just sing lead.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 9:56:23

Ron.M

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Mark2

quote:

I don't need anything!!!!

Except this lamp!

Navin Johnson

"Hey....he's not shooting at us....it's the tins....he hates those tins!"...

It's been years and years since I saw it. I think I'm going to hire it again!!

cheers

Ron

PS: Maybe we better stop this as it's getting off the subject

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 10:45:09

zata

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to mrMagenta

quote:

However, I've seen many performances that have been spoiled by despotic attitutdes and big heads.

The dynamic I've been trying to describe has nothing to do with bad manners, ego trips or halitosis. Some of my best friends are flamenco singers .

It's merely a system which has been in use and developed over the last 150 years or so, and in which traditional flamenco artists have blind faith - the philosophy of "if it works, do it", or more to the point, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's a delicate balance that cedes the creative initiative to the singer, and you might say reflects the fact that cante developed without guitar and continues to be able to exist unaccompanied. Guitarists get to express their personalities more aggressively in the in-between parts.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 12:49:29

zata

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

I've seen many performances that have been spoiled by despotic attitutdes and big heads.

So have I, and the big majority has been in flamenco....

It's not anything a casual observer is going to notice because it's not possible to know the singer's intent unless you're inside their head or have heard them so many times you can tell when they're being browbeaten by a guitarist's compás, rhythm or chords.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 13:01:49

sonikete

For people who dont listen to the singing and just are waiting for the next falseta i can understand why it would feel frustrating or as if the singer has a big ego if he cuts a falseta short.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 13:12:51

zata

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to mrMagenta

quote:

If musicians won't give eachother room things will feel uneasy.. (IMO) flamenco is at its best when there is a tangible equality between its parts,

This is gratuitous speculation that negates the entire evolution of cante as we know it. There's no mechanical or physical reason why such a system would not work, but it would change the nature of cante, just as a profusion of extended and passing chords has changed the nature of what young singers sing (discussed in the post that alludes to Marote).

quote:

I saw a show with Israel Galvan that had a sense of equality between Israel, Terremoto and Alfredo. Israels name was ten times larger on the poster, but the layout of the show gave room for all, thus also making Israels dancing come out better. However, this would quickly go bad if it all served just that one, large poster ego.

"Edad de oro", a great show. Rehearsed works can and do do whatever they want. The dancer says to whistle Dixie after the 14th beat, you do it. Also, Israel is a dancer, not a singer...we were discussing the need for the cante to rule. In a natural setting, a dancer occupies the second spot in the existing hierarchy of cante-dance-guitar.

quote:

I don't see the need of any one to have the lionshare of the right of expression. I'm sure this isn't what you're saying, but the with words like despot and drone, I just had to state my rabid leftist, guitar-biased opinion! :)

It's exactly what I'm saying, but since I didn't invent the system I beg the messenger not be shot. Good accompanists are happy to coddle the singer just as an attentive lover is happy to be "used". They still get to shine in the in-between parts, and it's rare to see a cante recital where the guitarist doesn't get at least one applause in response to a falseta or other meaningful moment.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 13:17:11

sonikete

I like the unpredicability of unrehearsed flamenco and i have been dissapointed several times when dancers i have a great respect for are repeating cold karate exercises on stage in the end of a long tour.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 13:24:16

zata

quote:

Inspiration is usually more the reason than a big ego for cutting off a falseta or shortening the compas when it comes to singers. And even if it might feel like abuse against the guitarist, the job he has is to accompany the singer, nothing else except inspire the singer and play falsetas when they forget the lyrics.

Yes, that's the most realistic description so far, it reflects what goes on at those moments.

When a singer cuts off a falseta, that's rude, but it's forgiven instantly. If you notice, it tends to be older, more instinctive singers who do this, such as Borrico or Periñaca...these are people who developed their cante for decades without accompaniment and don't know how to act with a guitarist. What does "falseta" mean to them?

Since compás is perceived as an infinite circle, "shortening" and "lengthening" are irrelevant terms. Compás is accents.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 13:27:34

sonikete

quote:

Since compás is perceived as an infinite circle, "shortening" and "lengthening" are irrelevant terms. Compás is accents.

Im talking out of a guiri guitarist mathematic point of view, because i dont know how to communicate it otherwise, to all who started out in the 12 beat didactic method usually found in books and videos.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 13:31:38

zata

quote:

Im talking out of a guiri guitarist mathematic point of view, because i dont know how to communicate it otherwise, to all who started out in the 12 beat didactic method usually found in books and videos.

Of course, but it's only a learning aid to make up for not having received compás in the conventional manner.

I like to compare the twelve-count to these rules they make you memorize in school, like "i before e, except after c". Does anyone really need to remember that forever, or don't we just eventually learn how to spell? Taking the analogy one step futher, once you've learned how to spell, isn't it actually a distraction to retain the rule and refer to it each time you write "receive" or "perceive"?

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2006 13:45:26
Page:   <<   <   6 7 [8] 9 10    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   6 7 [8] 9 10    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message