Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Barbarossa Guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Barbarossa Guitars (in reply to kovachian

I just emailed Jeff Sigurdson for information on his guitars. Maybe he'll post here or respond to this request. There isn't much on his website that I could find.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2008 3:34:20

Patrick

Aaron,

Same problem as well. I have been using Word to compose. That way if it doesn't post, I still have a copy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2008 7:20:05

TANúñez

RE: Barbarossa Guitars (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

BTW, love your site--all the information, pictures and sound clips. I know you build guitars and think it would be great if you shared pictures and sound clips of your own creations on the Foro.

Thank you very much Pgh_flamenco. I've posted a few photos of some guitars I've built in the past. I'll have to do a search to dig up the thread as I don't recall what I titled it.

I'm finishing my latest guitar and I'll be posting a photo diary of it's construction soon.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2008 7:26:05

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Barbarossa Guitars (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

I'm finishing my latest guitar and I'll be posting a photo diary of it's construction soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Below is some biographical material Jeff Sigurdson prepared for a Japanese magazine. I'm going to request information on the materials he uses for his basic blanca and negra as well as pricing information. He's looking for pictures and will send them to me if/when he finds them.

quote:

-Started building electric guitar bodies in high school shop class grades 11-12
-1st year of Douglas College musical instrument construction course1989-90, 2nd year 90-91, under the guidance of Micheal Dunn who taught traditional Spanish building techniques
-while at Douglas College he fell in love with the different body shapes and was introduced to the artistry of inlay work and lute building.
-Being an avid woodworker in highschool, thought the idea of being able to earn a living from working exotic woods by hand instead of having to build particle board cabinates with machines was a gift from heaven.
-After 20 months of Douglas College he worked at Lee Valley Tools for 1 year, a prestigeous tool store,taking advantage of his staff discount purchased as many guitar building tools as he could also using the small shop space in the back after hours.
-In 1992 began working at Larrivee guitar factory, considered small as compared to today there were only 18-20 employees
- Started working in body assembly where he learnt to shape the braces by hand from rough stock to gluing he assembled 4-6 bodies a day
-As well as doing binding & purfling he took advantage of the off hours to work in the shop on his own projects.
-After 2 years of body building he was taught final neck fit, handfitting the finished neck to the finished body, a very demanding job utilizing all the skill he had amassed from his experience at Douglas College. he did this job for 6 years
-Jeff quit working at Larrivee and began building his own guitars in 1999and has never looked back.
- Around the time Jeff started working at Larrivee Guitars in 1992 he also used to visit the shop of Geza Burghardt a well known Hungarian luthier, although never getting any any official training from him, he studied as much information as such as the fine art of French Polish and the V-joint(a traditional neckshaft to headstock joint)
-Today with the traditional Spanish building techniques he learnt from Micheal Dunn he builds flamenco and classical guitars, and the experience from Jean Larrivee builds steel string guitars that are destined for the recording studio and stage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2008 14:16:17

cathulu

Keep it coming, post what you find. He is in my neck of the woods - so if I ever get another guitar, will look at him.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2008 16:33:56

kovachian

One could possibly find alot of info on a luthier simply by googling his/her name. By googling "Jim Blilie" (the apostrophes are important here, include them in the search bar), I found one guitar so far that was sold
Sold Barbarossa Dreadnought

Sometimes you might info that you weren't even looking for, but is nice to know anyways. Such is the case here and you find that Jim takes great pride in his engineering job and lutherie hobby. Other luthiers have definitely got respect for the guy. I realize that some people might think that the cold hard and lifeless world of science is in stark contrast to the realm of ‘Ye Olde Worlde’ romanticism, but at least having a grasp on the principles of guitar construction can't hurt.
Seattle Luthier's Group convention
Read the quote at the left of the page

Now do a search for "Jeff Sigurdson".
Sigurdson Flamenco Negra with pics
Another that was for sale
Another
And another

There's apparently a Jeff Sigudson in Ohio but I think that might be a different guy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2008 19:38:35

Pgh_flamenco

Jeff Sigurdson replied with some pictures and a short note. His Flamenco guitars are based on a 1951 Barbero design. He didn't include a materials list or any pricing information. I'm posting all five pictures he emailed to me here.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2008 9:16:23

Pgh_flamenco

Sigurdson guitar

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2008 9:17:27

Pgh_flamenco

Sigurdson guitar

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2008 9:20:27

Pgh_flamenco

Sigurdson guitar

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2008 9:24:01

Pgh_flamenco

Sigurdson guitar

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2008 9:28:37

Pgh_flamenco

Thanks for looking for this information, kovachian.

quote:

I realize that some people might think that the cold hard and lifeless world of science is in stark contrast to the realm of ‘Ye Olde Worlde’ romanticism, but at least having a grasp on the principles of guitar construction can't hurt.

I would expect an engineer to possess an excellent skill set when it comes to design, using tools, precise measurement, research, etc, and wouldn't be a bit concerned about Jim Blilie being an engineer. I like the way his Flamenco guitar looks and he is following Barbero's 1951 design. My preference is always to play the guitar personally and barring that I would at least want to hear a recording of the instrument.

Zavaleta's is a great place to hear sound clips of high-end Flamenco guitars.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2008 10:29:57
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post