Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Manuel Parrilla   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Estevan

Manuel Parrilla 

I was away for a bit recently, and while catching up on some of the discussions saw some references to Manuel Parrilla (in a thread on 'Jerez style'). Obviously there are some foro people who know his work quite well. I have a couple of tracks of his, but would like to know if anyone can recommend recordings where he is well represented.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2007 21:56:40

Anders Eliasson

RE: Manuel Parrilla (in reply to Estevan

I like his solo album Jondura. Its very personal and very diffrent from the mainstream of solo guitarist albums.

I always find something new in his album.

But, the best way to hear Parilla de Jerez is with a singer and I strongly recommend with Paquera de Jerez.

Other very good guitarists from Jerez playing the traditional school are Manuel Morao and Paco Cepero, not to forget Moraito Chico

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2007 9:50:23

Ricardo

RE: Manuel Parrilla (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Much like Morao and Moraito, etc, artistic names can confuse things. Parilla de Jerez is not the same guy as Manuel Parilla. Not sure of the relation, probably nephew??, any way you can hear Moraito, Diego del Morao and Manuel playing for Luis el Zambo, very typical jerez style singing and guitar, with a touch of modern style mixed in.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2007 14:39:13

Stu

RE: Manuel Parrilla (in reply to Ricardo

So is Moraito the same dude as Moraito Chico??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2007 19:17:32

Estevan

Thanks to both of you for your help.
Anders, I will check out your suggestions.
quote:

Much like Morao and Moraito, etc, artistic names can confuse things. Parilla de Jerez is not the same guy as Manuel Parilla.
That's right Ricardo, the Manuel I'm referring to is the son of Juan Parrilla and the nephew of Parrilla de Jerez (and just to complicate things they are related to the Moraos as well). I met him recently in Madrid - nice guy - but it wasn't the right occasion to ask for a discography.
quote:

you can hear Moraito, Diego del Morao and Manuel playing for Luis el Zambo, very typical jerez style singing and guitar, with a touch of modern style mixed in.
Yes Manuel emphasized that he plays 'modern' and flamenco 'at the same time.' The implication being that some modernists lose the flamenco feeling.
I have the Zambo disc (he's only on two songs, but they're good), and he does a great bulerias on Montse's first album, and a rumba on Jaco Abel's latest. He has recorded with a lot of singers, but they seem to be the kind of albums where there are several guitarists who each play one or two songs; I just wondered if anyone knew of an album where he does more than one track.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2007 20:41:51

Estevan

RE: Manuel Parrilla (in reply to Stu

quote:

So is Moraito the same dude as Moraito Chico??

Usually. I defer to an expert, our compañero Norman:

"The very name of the artist portrayed reflects flamenco tradition in Jerez: Manuel Moreno Junquera, better known as Moraíto. He is the son of Juan Moreno Moreno (also known as Moraíto), and the nephew of Manuel Moreno Moreno (known as Morao)."

http://www.zambra.com/en/revista/resenas/videos/moraito.html

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2007 20:55:10

Ricardo

Manuel Morao-Manuel Moreno Jimenez 1929
Juan Morao-Juan Moreno Jimenez 1935-2003
Moraito/Moraito Chico- Manuel Moreno Junquera 1956
Parilla de Jerez- Manuel Fernandez Molina 1945

Moraito is the son of Juan. The father of Juan and Manuel Morao was Manuel Moreno de Soto y Monje, a singer and guitarist. My guess is he was also called "Morao". A Paquera album from 1956 names the guitarist as "Moraito", obviously Manuel Morao and Parrilla playing. So probably Manuel was "moraito" until he was older and his nephew took the name "chico". At any given time, both guys have been simply called "Morao". And now we have Manuel Parrilla.

Regardless, all these guys follow the jerez school of guitar set up by Javier Molina 1868-1956.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2007 22:48:26

NormanKliman

Whoops, looks like their last names are Moreno Jiménez, but I think Juan died in 2002.

As you said, Ricardo, Manuel was sometimes called Moraíto, possibly to distinguish him from his father. I think it might also be just one of those ways that people use the diminutive (-ito). If I remember correctly, Mairena wrote in "Las confesiones..." that he made a recording with Moraíto, referring to Manuel.

quote:

So probably Manuel was "moraito" until he was older and his nephew took the name "chico".

Juan (the father of today's Moraíto) was also sometimes called Moraíto chico to distinguish him from his brother Manuel.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2007 1:54:04

Haithamflamenco

he is amazing the father and the son,

and all the jerez guitaristas,

umm i always like to study at the jerez school,

like when i hear moraito, i feel this is the flamenco that i wnat to learn,

i think i am jerezy boy, hahahahahaha

haithamorao oleeeeeeeee

Bahrain is my country and Andalucia is my dream
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2007 11:31:11