Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Folk vs. Flamenco (interesting blog post)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Adam

RE: Folk vs. Flamenco (interesting b... (in reply to Adam

hey now, fritos are tasty!!

yeah, i was similar. my mom played ottmar in the car when i was in, like, 8th grade, i re-discovered it in 10th (this would be about 4 years ago!) and got hooked, started listening to jesse cook and armik and all that, the only one of those that i really listen to nowadays is ottmar, and about 3/4 of a year later i discovered PdL, because i wanted to hear old-school flamenco. got his antologia, haha the only song i really liked then was almoraima (my first intro to bulerias!!), and i also listened to his version of the concierto de aranjuez a lot. then about two years later, right after i graduated high school i picked up my old classical guitar (which i'd bought to learn ottmar-style music, took some classical lessons and got bored), and decided to learn flamenco like i'd always wanted, so i got juan martin's solos flamencos, played through that all summer and started taking lessons with a maestro near my school by november--that would have been last year. found the foro a month later! haha

so my path to flamenco was probably a foro member's worst nightmare--ottmar liebert then juan martin! but that's cool by me, i like where i am now :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2007 8:17:20

guitardode

RE: Folk vs. Flamenco (interesting b... (in reply to Adam

Really good topic this! Flamenco is a folk soup so to speak a real mix of the diverse musical imputs that have slowly fed into the music scene of Andalucia .Whether it be the rumbas and columbiannas or the sevillanas they have all become part of the same family we know as flamenco today.Modern flamenco fusions are no different -they rely on the basic starting point of the rythym and whether played by electric bass or piano they still have as inspiration the basic cante style which originally was the true flamenco art;the outpouring of the soul to the heavens.Modern flamenco musicians are also searching for ways to express this unique music turning frequently to other folk forms in India and South America In Scotland we have folk mixtures which rely heavily on Irish,French and even American influences so traditional scots music has also turned to synthsisers,electric bagpipies !etc so the musical jouneys of folk music are very fluid and long may it continue!!

GUITARDODE
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2007 15:38:23
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote