Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: How to sit while playing guitar...   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: How to sit while playing guitar... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

If you don´t feel presssure in your lower arm after hours of playing you either own a guitar with an arm rest bevel, or you are unconsciously pulling up your arm, with the latter being more common than not anyway.

My arm goes up and down depending on what I am playing. Hence "moving around" while playing. Unless you are stuck doing only one technique for hours, which makes no musical sense to me, and I don't recommend doing anyway.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2011 22:20:01

machopicasso

RE: How to sit while playing guitar... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Unless you are stuck doing only one technique for hours, which makes no musical sense to me, and I don't recommend doing anyway.

When I practice and am doing exercises, I'm conscientious to mix-up the techniques so as to avoid injury (e.g. arpeggio, rasqueado, piccado, and tremolo exercises; then repeat more advanced exercises for each).

Tonight, however, something odd happened. (And I'm responding to you Ricardo because it involves your solea!!). I spent about an hour alternating between a piccado exercise from the Nunez Encuentro DVD and the arpeggio section just before the piccado run in "Plaza del Cabildo". What I didn't notice was that I was spending all of my time on the first three frets and that my fretting arm was in the same position the entire time. When I finished playing and moved my fretting arm, my elbow was killing me. I lift weights and stuff, but I've never felt something like this in my elbow. (I'm icing it now for the third time.) So, now you've all been warned!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2011 9:53:20

rombsix

RE: How to sit while playing guitar... (in reply to machopicasso

Ricardo's material is damned. The Marlow curse has fallen upon you.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2011 10:07:07

machopicasso

RE: How to sit while playing guitar... (in reply to rombsix

quote:

Ricardo's material is damned. The Marlow curse has fallen upon you.

Man, that would suck if there were compositions which were so difficult that, if attempted by ordinary guitarists, were guaranteed to injure them. Someone should run with that idea and make a horror film.

As for me, I may not be a victim of the "Marlow curse", after all. The ice-packs and a good night's rest seemed to work. I was very careful while practicing today.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2011 9:02:17

rombsix

Check out the guy in the middle. He sits in the traditional position, and he has his forearm pressed onto the edge of the guitar when doing picado (which he seems to be doing close to the sound hole), and he seems to be fine with that. He also has good rasgueado control while in that position. Awesome!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2012 20:35:03

Richard Jernigan

Indeed. But instead of the wrist changing angle from left to right (that is, in the same plane as the two forearm bones) it changes angle up and down (perpendicular to the plane of the two forearm bones), being more flexed on the bass strings than on the trebles, much as most classical players do.

However shifting the whole arm position from pulgar to picado, as the middle player does, is very much against the present fashion in classical teaching.

Paco's wrist moves very little, if at all, going from treble to bass.

The guy in the vid plays very well. Different strokes for different folks.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2012 18:12:03

Ricardo

quote:

Check out the guy in the middle. He sits in the traditional position, and he has his forearm pressed onto the edge of the guitar when doing picado (which he seems to be doing close to the sound hole), and he seems to be fine with that. He also has good rasgueado control while in that position. Awesome!

He, mario Regis, is a big guy. I played with him at a chinese restaurant once after a GK concert he filled in for Tonino. His tech and style is pretty much PDL, he is not over the soundhole or whatever more then normal. THe vid is weird angles and squished sideways. He lifts his shoulder bent fingers, etc etc all the same...just he is big. Play on a ukelele to see what I mean. This guy has some really nice instrumental compositions by the way, but almost impossible to find recordings of. I only know of them through rumbero friends that are like hardcore fanatics of Camargue style rumba.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2012 21:48:49
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll