Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Patrick

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to El Craic

Ron,

You have to "lightly kill" your beans first!

I thought everyone knew that.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2004 18:06:04

zata

Spaniards don't play games with their beans...no starting in cold water, no "don't add salt until the end", no low heat. The only 'secret' I know is buying good beans. Some beans cook up buttery and tender, and some have tough skins or don't cook through no matter what.

For seasoning, I haven't seen tomato used, but lots of garlic and porky bits (salt fat back, bacon tips, pork bones...) give the Spanish flavor.

Estela 'la cocinera'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2004 18:22:48

Paco E.

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to Ron.M

Ron,

I can make the tortilla espagnol, my t.e.'s taste the same as in spain when I'm on holliday there. The recipy is very simple.
Make a tortilla not to complicated. And bake it easy. Take the time for it.

Ed

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2004 20:07:31

TANúñez

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to Paco E.

You guys are making me very hungry. How about someone send some authentic Spanish food to me here in the US. In return I will send you something from here

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2004 20:39:29

Paco E.

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to TANúñez

Hi Tom,

I made the tortilla today,

I've used:

5 Pre-boiled patatas, Garlic, (one slice) unions, 6 eggs, mushrooms. 1/2 Spanish pepper
plus small parts of bacon.
First fry the bacon, then the unions, musrooms, pepper and garlic.

Then fry the potatoes lightly.

Put it together, and add the stirred eggs.

Put a tapa on the pan, for 10 minutes, then bake it very soft within 30 minutes.

Add salt and pepper, if you like.

Taste as Spain.

Ed
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2004 22:23:40

zata

Now: Spanish tortilla (OT) (in reply to El Craic

Ed, that's what we used to call a 'western' in New York, and it's one of my favorite dishes. It's not a Spanish tortilla though. No ingredients are added to the egg and potatoes except the optional onion...Kate can tell you how she caused a sensation when word got round that she put a few peas in her tortilla .

Boiling the potatoes is a very big no-no, they must be fried in lots of olive oil, and only olive oil...it's what gives the characteristic nut-like flavor. Basically you fry the potatoes long and cook the tortilla short, all Spaniards do it the same. You can also add a teaspoon of baking powder to the raw egg mixture to make the tortilla a little more airy.

In some parts it's become popular to slice open the finished (cooled) tortilla, as if for a layer cake, fill it with tuna salad or similar pasty spread, and put the whole thing back together to be served in slim wedges. Veeeeery nice, especially for buffet parties.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 10:18:14

Billyboy

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to Paco E.

Ive heard that to make it like the Spanish, you fry the ingreidients in about 2inch or more of Olive oil in a frying pan, then when everything is cooked pour away all the oil, leaving the Olive oil soaked vegtables, then add the egg, when Ive had it in Spain, the oil drips out when you cut through it, so this is maybe how they do it?
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 12:15:05

Kate

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to Billyboy

Another tortilla tip is when you have the onions, garlic and patatas all ready you remove from pan and add to the egg and mix well then return to the pan. It makes a difference.

And its true about the peas. It went round the barrio so fast that people were pointing me out in the street saying "she puts peas in her tortilla"

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 12:35:52

Billyboy

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to Kate

Yeh that would be a good idea to mix everything in a boal before returning to the pan, that way there would be no eggy bits, or burnt edges.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 13:09:49

TANúñez

Ok I"m confussed. Here in the States, a tortilla is basically just a flat round flour patty. Estella you probably know what I'm talking about.

Can you Spaniards go into more detail and tell me what your version of a tortilla is? This sounds really interesting. Can you give me a simple recipe to follow so that I can attempt to make one?

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 14:04:13

zata

That's a Mexican tortilla Zurdo. In Spain "tortilla" means omelette and this is like a knish if you know what that is.

The root of the word can refer to any kinda round, kinda starchy fried thing. "Tortitas" for example are pancakes...which Brits call something else . "Tortas de aceite" are fried circles of dough similar to piecrust and eaten for breakfast..."tortell" is a large round filled pastry eaten at Christmas in some provinces. The common root is....they're all fattening

I once sent my recipe for tortilla to the cooking group I belong to and it's in my recipe program so I'm sending it to you privately (and to anyone else who wants).

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 14:36:53

Billyboy

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to TANúñez

Your thinking of the Mexican Tortilla, which is just a flour flat bread, are you from California?
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 14:37:13

zata

Dave, I never saw anyone drain off the excess oil :-), but most people add the potatoes to the egg before returning the whole mixture to the pan to avoid the potatoes on the bottom getting burnt. But yes, this is any oily business. The precise frying pan you use makes a big difference, but there's no norm.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 14:59:24

TANúñez

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to zata

quote:

I once sent my recipe for tortilla to the cooking group I belong to and it's in my recipe program so I'm sending it to you privately

Got it Estela! Thank you. Can't wait to make it. I'll keep you posted as to how it comes out.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 15:20:02

TANúñez

quote:

are you from California?

Hi Dave. No, I'm in Texas. Mexico is our very close neighbor so a lot of our dishes are Mexican influenced.

Do they have Mexican type tortillas in Spain? Do you have burrito's?

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 15:21:42

zata

Spaniards only discovered "Mexican" food after theme parks become popular about ten years ago. Now almost every supermarket has Old El Paso ingredients, but the allegedly Mexican restaurants I've been to in Spain have been abominations. Spaniards hate anything even slightly hot, so everything tastes like Sloppy Joes (Brits might need an explanation of that ). If you ask for hot stuff they pass you the bottle of Tabasco sauce, and what they call a "margarita" tastes like lemon Kool-Aid

Now, if someone has money to invest, I suggest opening the first Taco Belle in Spain...preferably in Sevilla if you don't mind :-).

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 15:49:53

Billyboy

I used to think "Taco Bell" was a Mexican tellephone company :-) I heard about using loads of oil from a Chef, but never tried it myself, generally with food, the more fat or oil, the better it tastes, just ask Ron about 'deep fried Mars bars', I would love to know excactly how those Tortillas are made that you see in bars in Spain, where they cut you a wedge, and serve it with bread, love it. I like to wash it down with a glass of Orchata, which you just can't get anywhere in the UK.
Cheers
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 16:18:28

Miguel de Maria

Tom,
I love flamenco singing and playing, but as far as the food--don't go there, man! The food here in the US, and especially south of the border is so much better than the Spanish stuff. Argg, the month of living there was terrible. Food very bland, all fried.... The tortilla they're talking about is pretty much like a heavy quiche, or maybe more like an omelette mostly made of potatoes! You can also get things there like fried anchovies, cured strips of ham that taste like--dry ham... Mexican food, while much of it is fried, is tasty because Mexicans know how to use spices. Yes, garlic and oil, but also a variety of different chiles and spices. Not to mention vegetables--I dont think they grow vegetables in Spain. I started feeling sick because all I was eating was ham, fried this and fried that... if you want a salad you'll get a few limp strips of iceberg lettuce and some soggy tomato slices. Trust me, if these guys had ever been to the US they'd be reminiscing about Tex-Mex, not Spanish cuisine!

I must say I liked the cheap wine and olives in olive oil. I have tried so hard to find un-brined olives here in the States and it seems to be impossible.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 16:52:23

Billyboy

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Now, to me, Mexican food, is like a load of regurgitated vomit, Tex Mex is probably even worse, As A.A. Gill a British food critique once said. "Mexico City, being a capital of considerable girth, is stuffed with restaurants, most of which, it appears, wouldn’t touch Mexican food with a gringo’s tamale. You can eat wonderful Argentinian, Italian, Spanish, French or Japanese food, but the local stuff is mostly in the grubby hands of those street stalls so beloved of travel writers and food explorers. If they’re so authentically scrumptious, why don’t they ever eat off them at home?" Nuff said. As far as Tex Mex, It must have been someone Jewish who invented that cuisine,it is a joke to charge money for "Chicken Wings", that most sane cooks would throw away, mentioning Tex Mex in the same breath as Spanish cuisine is a joke. Right were 's that punch bag LOL
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 19:01:01

Miguel de Maria

Dave,
British food is very bland so it's not surprising that you like Spanish food! Mexican food is a true gem. French, Italian, Mexican--but Spanish! Come on, amigo... Spanish food is to Mexican food like Ottmar Liebert is to Moraito.

I have never been to England, but I did spend a couple weeks in New Zealand, which from what I hear, has a similiar cuisine. I was looking forward to trying out some nice lamb from the land of lamb... Needless to say, it was very disappointing, without flavour or art in the preparation. I have never had sausage that tasted so much like white bread in my life. The best thing I had in New Zealand was french fries!

I'm not sure what you mean by putting tex-mex and chicken wings in the same sentence. Tex-mex is simply a gringo-fied version of North Mexican cuisine. Now--Northern mexican cuisine, while flavorful, is certainly not the most complex or tasty food of Mexico. Mexican food features fresh vegetables, chiles, spices--which make it, in my estimation, superior to cuisine that features primarily potatoes, bread, and olive oil.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 19:50:49

zata

Dish for dish, Spanish cuisine is French food without the silliness, and with olive oil instead of butter. Miguel, if you only know fried food in Spain, you may have had food in Spain, but it wasn't Spanish food.

Cocido madrileño, marmitako, esquiexada, ajoblanco, merluza a la vasca, escudella, pollo al ajillo, revuelto de ajetes with gambas, potaje de vigilia, huevos a la flamenca!, almejas a la marinera, escalibada, sopa de picadillo, carne a la riojana, bacalao con tomate, habas a la catalana, mojo picón, bacalao al pil-pil, cordero a la navarra, empanada gallega, judías con jamón, albóndigas, dorada a la sal, espinacas guisadas, fabada, trucha a la navarra, canelones....... Each of these famous Spanish dishes is a masterpiece in the hands of the average housewife, none requires exotic ingredients of any kind and none is fried.

And that's without getting into drinks and desserts or even rice dishes!

(I'm getting hungry )

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 20:10:48

Billyboy

British food is blandish, fish and chips is what we gave to the world. and untill recently UK grub was terrible, but like anywhere in the world, each town has its gastronomic gems, where I live, I'm thinking 'Pie shops' but I had to laugh at your dried ham comment, I think that is commonly called "Palma Ham" don't know what the Spanish equivalent is, a "Jerky" might be somewhere similar, but having tried Beef Jerkies, I wouldn’t give them to my dog, now they are vile, Palma ham with melon is superb drizzled with first pressed extra virgin Olive oil Umm. To take your girlfriend or boyfriend to a Tex Mex restaurant, would not be a good idea, as picking the meagre meat from a chicken wing, not the nicest or romantic thing to watch someone do, Chimichungas come to mind, a deep fried Burrito no less. I'm going over the top though, like a lot of countries the real food is cooked in peoples homes, rather than in restaurants, I was looking at a Mexican cook book only yesterday, and I must admit it looked mouth watering, but whether the dishes were a chef's version and not real M food I dont know. All Mediterranean food is good and healthy, personally I very rarely eat Spanish, more Italian.

Cheers
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 21:04:59

Ron.M

Mike,
When I used to go to Spain, I had to try to make my money last as long as possible, so like for three months at a time I'd live on a diet of Churros & Café for breakfast, Bocadillo de Tortilla (de Patatas) for lunch and Judías Blancas con Pan for dinner.
Once, I was in a bar when I spotted an apple pie. Well more of an apple pastry thing that we have in the UK.
I tried to overcome the temptation, 'cos it would break the daily budget and it was rather expensive, about the price of a plate of Judías Blancas.
But the temptation proved too great, I could just taste that pastry with the beautiful apple filling, so I gave in and purchased one.
In great mouthwatering anticipation I bit into it, only to find it was stuffed with fish!

LOL!

Ron

p.s. You gotta admit though, the coffee is fantastic!
I'd give anything for a cup of Spanish coffee right now!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 21:30:00

Thomas Whiteley

AMEN! Now I am hungry!

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 21:35:12

Thomas Whiteley

Originally, chile was used as a means to preserve food. Each Mexican state tries to out do the other to see who has the hottest chile. I cannot understand anyone eating chile! Why put something in your mouth that will cause you to loose your sense of taste, cry, have a runny nose, burn a new hole through your system, and cause you to pass liquid fire for three days?

There is said to be a chile grown in Fresno, California (where Juan Serrano lives), that is 10,000 times hotter than a Jalapeño.

A co worker of mine born and raided in Mexico took his wife to Mexico City for a vacation. They went to a Mexican restaurant the first day they arrived and were carried out due to food poisoning and spend more than one week in the hospital!

Some years ago I was trying to find a good Mexican restaurant in the San Francisco Bay area. I went to three of the ones who advertised good food. I got sick three times – very sick.

I asked my friend Tom Paloto who was from Mexico City, and knew my luck with Mexican restaurants, “Where can I get good Mexican food”! Tom answered, “That’s easy! My moms house”!

To be honest I love good food regardless of where it comes from. I have had great Spanish and Mexican food.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 21:46:28

TANúñez

RE: Mario Escudero is fine and well (in reply to Thomas Whiteley

quote:

Why put something in your mouth that will cause you to loose your sense of taste, cry, have a runny nose, burn a new hole through your system, and cause you to pass liquid fire for three days?

The hotter the better. If I do not experience any of the above mentioned symptoms, the chile was not good enough.

I LOVE Mexican food but REAL Mexican food. Tex-Mex is the biggest scam since the invention of dry-cleaning.

Hotass chile is what killed Pancho Villa not a bullet.

Now, tell me about this Spanish Chorizo. I hear this is mighty tasty. I love Mexican chorizo but this must be cooked and mixed in with something to eat like, papas con chorizo or huevos con chorizo.

How did this thread go from Mario Escudero to food?

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 22:21:00

Miguel de Maria

Estela "firecracker",
you are probably right. I ate fried tapas fare for a month, the two weeks prior to that I spent looking for the best restaurants in Barcelona, Sevilla, Madrid, Cordoba, and Granada. Just because I looked, of course, doesn't mean I found them... In Madrid I went to a famous restaurant whose specialty was revueltos with papas--eggs fried up with french fries. My steak turned out to be a fried, dark lump served with--french fries. Sevilla I found a few nice places, both on the Callejon de Agua... In Barcelona I went to a wonderful place with really experimental, avante-garde fare, and a snotty French-like waiter to boot. He was wearing a bad black suit, and didn't know what to think of me and my fiance. We probably looked like a couple yahoos, but we took his recommendations and got to try out some really interesting smelly cheeses and had a wonderful meal. In Granada we missed dinner but ended up getting a satisfying pena experience with Kate and Emilio Maya. In Cordoba, on the street that encircles the Mezquita, we went to some Gallo Rojo or something that was very nice and the first place that I heard any flamenco, let alone Vicente Amigo (!) being played over the airwaves. Everywhere else was just 70's era instrumental jazz!

By the way, if in Barcelona, never, never NEVER NEVER go to Patio Andaluz. Besides having the worst flamenco dancers/singers/guitarists ever, ever, who did everything short of playing Malagwaynya, the food was terrible. We spent like 150 Euros on bad wine that was supposed to be Rioja but wasn't, bad lobster that was smeared with a horrible mayonaise, no vegetables, and the everpresent lump of charred, fried something that was the steak.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 22:23:47

Miguel de Maria

Ron,
that is a great story. I tried a few things over there that surprised me too. What are the Judicias or whatever?
I remember getting the cold shoulder when I went into one of those Cafes in the morning in madrid. The early-risers stared at us, the late-night partiers stared at us, the bartender stared at us.

Tom W.,
chiles add flavor as well as heat. I love the flavor of chiles... occasionally I'll eat a pickled one for a snack. Eating hot food gives you pain which in turn gives you endorphins, a "chile high." When you eat food that makes you sweat, you get a mild euphoric feeling. Try it sometime!

Tom N.,
of course I don't really eat Tex-Mex either. Here in Arizona there is no shortage of real Mexican restaurants. But Tex-Mex can be a stepping stone to real Mexican cuisine, and it is better than "real" American food, as is Italian, French, and perhaps even Spanish...welllllll. By "real" American food I mean the bland stuff you might find in Wisconsin, meat and potatoes, using parsley salt and pepper as the only flavoring. Cajun and other ethnic-tinged American food I will exempt from my wide-reaching condemnations!

Dave,
sorry for going off on British food. It's not that much worse than American food. Most Americans go to an Italian or Mexican restaurant when they go out anyway! If you want a good Mexican cookbook, get the one called Mexico: One Plate at a Time by Rick Bayless. It features traditional dishes and a few modern ones too. Caveat: if you have a hard time getting fresh veggies then the recipes wont work. Also, they are time-consuming.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 22:31:38

zata

Ohmigod Miguel, how horrible! Next time check with me...I know the neatest places, in Barcelona for example my favorite, and it's not expensive...get out your notebooks fellow-flamencos: Los Caracoles, on the street Escudellers just off the Rambla...it's not only got increible food cooked right in the rustic dining room, but the walls are covered with pictures of famous flamencos, actors, artists and bullfighters. After dinner stroll to the Plaza Real which is just a few meters away and have coffee and anisette while you watch the street musicians and assorted oddballs.

This conversation turned out to be a nice way to celebrate that Mario Escudero is fine and well

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 22:36:09

Ron.M

Mike,
I think the trouble was that you and your fiance went to "good" restaurants!
When I lived in Madrid, there were these cheap "family" restaurants that the locals went to because they could cook the food cheaper in bulk than you could do at home.
There was one on every street corner.
Anyway, the Spanish love being out rather than at home.
So the whole family would come down to dine, including the kids.
Even the poorest Spanish man has dignity, and would rather sit at a table with his family and read a menu and be served.
You talk about chicken wings, the restaurant I used to frequent did "pollo al ajillo" which was chicken knuckles done in garlic! (The poor don't waste.)
Years later, when I had plenty money, I took my new wife down my old haunts and into this particular cheap restaurant in Calle Lope de Vega.
She was totally impressed and amazed!
Clean, unpretentious, friendly waiters and very tasty but modest and inexpensive food.
The Spanish cheap restaurants were great at doing things like "Carne y Patatas".
The main thing is, don't question the carne, where it's from or even what it is!
Just "meat" in a delicious sauce.
Just enjoy! Dip your crusty pan into it and consume con gusto!
Like you, I don't like fried food, my favourite cheap Spanish dish was the Bean or Carne Cocidos!

Yum!

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 22:51:16
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll