Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

I've been offered a gig   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

I've been offered a gig 

I've been offered a gig. Can you guy's recommend some material that would be good to please everyone? It won't be a die hard flamenco crowd but the type of crowd that will think I'm a FLAMINGO guitarist. You know the types.

Malagueñas probably a must as well as Sevillanas and maybe some light classical pieces like Romanza and Evocacion. What else?

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 17:21:56

Miguel de Maria

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to TANúñez

How long is the gig? Are you going to read, or play by memory? Are you solo or can you bring another person? Do you plan to use recorded backing tracks? How much time do you have to prepare for it/how long ahead in the future is it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 17:35:06

Florian

Greate El Zurdo !

Tangos, Rumbas, Farucca, Guajira, Colombiana, Garrotin whatever , they will probably respond best to the libre stuff, Granainas etc

anything really i think that they dont respond to the palos just to the melodic sounds

I remember i once did a wedding that went on a bit I was runing out of material !
so I got creative :)
I did a solo where i patched about 3 Alegria Silencios togheder.
Also I changed capo and repeated every solo in the first half
When I got desperate I started a Solea and trew in anything else that was in that key not even worrying about compas :) (only recomended if no flamencos are there )

Another trick is repeating each catchy falseta/melody atlist twice , they like it when they know the music, we all do (we all love singing along to songs we have heard before )

I hope this is of some use to you , let me know how it was

Oh most important thing take time and make a list at home with anything you can play, I made the mistake of not doing a list got home and realised that i had another 2 good pieces i could have done but forghot about it )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 17:38:08

TANúñez

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

How long is the gig? Are you going to read, or play by memory? Are you solo or can you bring another person? Do you plan to use recorded backing tracks? How much time do you have to prepare for it/how long ahead in the future is it?

Hi Miguel. The gig is between 45 min to an hour. Solo, just me and my guitarra. No recorded backing tracks. I have a little over a month to prepare.

My first thought, given the type of crowd that is going to be there, was to dazzle them ala Carlos Montoya with ligato and picado stuff. BUT...

1. I'm not Carlos Montoya. My techique is decent, not great.
2. Even though most wouldn't know that, you never know who'll be watching.
3. That's not my style.

Will mixing classical with flamenco throw the mood off?

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 18:21:31

TANúñez

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to Florian

quote:

Tangos, Rumbas, Farucca, Guajira, Colombiana, Garrotin whatever , they will probably respond best to the libre stuff, Granainas etc

Florian,

That's a nice mix and easy on the non-flamenco types.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 18:22:22

Miguel de Maria

This depends on the situation. Are you playing for a dinner crowd or is it a "concert-like" setting? Realize that unless this is set up where people are explicitly "supposed" to watch you, very few will. If it's a cocktail hour, people will mingle and tell jokes to each other; one or two people who don't have anything to say will probably watch you. If it's dinner, everyone will be absorbed with the meal. The bad news is that a 45 min. gig isn't going to launch you into the flamenco stratosphere with Tomatito, the good news is that it's a lot less pressure this way.

It's pretty well documented that 4/4 stuff works the best. People won't know what to make with siguriyas or maybe even bulerias. They will certainly like rumbas and columbianas better, but alegrias and guajiras would be nice, too.

The thing here is that you only have a month to prepare, I don't think you should entertain any thoughts about learning new repertoire. If you have hours of repertoire, then pick a nice mix, some melodic stuff and some rhythmic stuff. As much flamenco or classical as you want. But playing at a gig is different, for the great majority of people, than at the house. Something that you may think is easy and beneath you might seem real hard when people are watching and you get nervous. My advice is to put together an hour of material that is your best stuff, that you are absolutely comfortable with. Then spend the next month drilling on this stuff as much as possible, ironing out any rough spots. If possible, get it so you can play with your eyes closed, in a cold room, with a crowd of polka-loving clowns watching you.

If you were hired as a "flamenco guitarist," then make sure you play at least some flamenco, maybe to start with and a nice number to end. Play a sevillanas for sure. That will pretty much seal your obligation to do flamenco... in the end, you are what you are and don't try to be anything else.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 19:33:22

duende

HI
I would
Play Barrios la vina
celosa
guajiras de lucia
a solea
and just improvise in a tarantas key or granaina (it will sound flamenco and it can be 3 min or 6 min etc you´ll end it when you like.)
Maybe a buleria. al golpe Diego Del Gastor style.

Henrik.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 20:22:15

Paleto

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to duende

How do people respond to Diego del Gastor stuff?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 21:11:08

Thomas Whiteley

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to Florian

Good suggestions - they would be mine also. Play music that is alive and does not require any special abilities on the part of the listener.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 23:25:57

Thomas Whiteley

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to Paleto

Very well if they are from Móron de la Frontera, students of Diego or his nephews, or serious listeners.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 23:29:30

TANúñez

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

If you were hired as a "flamenco guitarist," then make sure you play at least some flamenco

Hi Michael. I was just hired to play "Spanish" guitar, (whatever that is) for a wedding reception. My interpretation of that is flamenco or classical by Spanish composers.

Like you said, I don't think too many people if any will be paying attention to me. Unless there are guitarists in the house.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 23:42:09

TANúñez

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to duende

quote:

guajiras de lucia

Hi Henrik, this piece is still way beyond my reach. Thank you for the recommendations. That's a nice mix.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 23:43:55

TANúñez

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to Paleto

quote:

How do people respond to Diego del Gastor stuff?

Hi Paleto. I love DdG. Unfortunately, if you don't know much about flamenco, you may not like it.

I've noticed that with flamenco, you either love it or hate it. The tradtional stuff, the "flamenco puro" may have some people scratching their heads. Or, they could want more. Diego is the first flamenco guitarist I ever heard. From that point on I decide I wanted to play like that.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 23:48:24

TANúñez

RE: I've been offered a gig (in reply to Thomas Whiteley

quote:

Good suggestions - they would be mine also. Play music that is alive and does not require any special abilities on the part of the listener.

Hello Señor Whiteley. Good advise. My thoughts exactly.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2004 23:53:47

bailoro2000

Tom.

Get their attention with Asturias (Leyenda) , keep em on the move with Lecouna's Malaguena, throw in a couple of sevillanas, show them what it's about with tientos por tangos and leave em clapping with La Bamba. Pure flamenco it all aint, but I bet you get asked back. (((-:

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2004 8:45:28

Florian

Sad truth :) most of the times when someone asks for a "Flamingo guitarist " hes thinking spanish clasical guitar Romanza etc etc
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2004 9:03:34

Miguel de Maria

Yeah, I was doing an "audition" for a gig one time (long story :( ), and they kept asking for "Spanish Classical Guitar," which, as it happens, is not something my partner and I play together. After a bunch of digging, it turned out they meant Gipsy Kings.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2004 14:01:02
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post