Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

The Art of Rasgueado - Anastassakis   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Paleto

The Art of Rasgueado - Anastassakis 

Does anyone here have the book - The Art of Rasgueado by Ioannis Anastassakis?

I had thought of maybe buying it, but wondered if people found it useful.

Here's a link if you haven't heard of it -

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=98405&pageheader=&category=&author=144&mode=author

There appear to be analyses of many, many guitarists, young, old and deceased.

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2004 16:02:49

Thomas Whiteley

RE: The Art of Rasgueado - Anastassakis (in reply to Paleto

Anthony;

I believe the author was a student of Juan Serrano at one time. I do not have the book but our son is getting it for me. This should be an interesting piece of literature. Things of this nature interest me.

The rasgueado is one of the guitar techniques that makes flamenco music unique. Some teachers insist there are only two or three rasgueado techniques. As an example I know of teachers who only play A,M I rasgueados, and condemn others (especially their students) if they are not emulated in the most strict manner.

I once did a simple study of flamenco from the beginnings of this music form. If you follow the available literature you can determine who contributed what technique to flamenco guitar. What follows is some overview of the development of flamenco guitar technique.

Originally, the guitar was held in the lap with the neck pointed up, and strummed.
Several people contributed to the advancement of guitar technique and Ramon Montoya is among them. Montoya introduced techniques from classical guitar developed by Francisco Tárrega, such as arpeggio, tremolo and picado. Picado apparently began with the pulgar or thumb. Sabicas appears to be the first to use indice, medio for picado.

Mario Escudero introduced a more classical sound into flamenco.

As flamenco guitar music developed there were many techniques used. The reason for this is simple: There was no literature, or media to transmit different ideas. You created your own technique.

Each family, neighborhood, and community had its own way to create flamenco music. Today we have the advantage of taking the best techniques and using them. We can share through media what we have learned and know.

Juan Serrano plays a unique rasgueado, and the reason is simple. He said his father taught him. You will not find it in common use by others.

My personal thought is to play a technique that is within your abilities and sounds correct. Knowing what others have done can only help you. There is no one way to do anything in flamenco. Find your own path - that which is most suitable for you.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2004 17:10:56

Miguel de Maria

What really fascinates me is that a loud, fast, good tone can be made on the guitar using such a variety of fingers, techniques, physiologies. It seems that there are many ways to skin a cat. What do all great guitarists have in common? I would say ease. They have perfected their system of playing to such a great degree that it is effortless, as easy to hit a loud golpe superior as it is to say Ole!, as easy to do a five stroke as to say ta da da da. They have found ways that are efficient and effective within their own scope. His little finger may fly, but it is where it needs to be when it needs to be. Or when he plays picado, his little finger sticks out stiffly, but he has found a way fo playign where it does not overly impair him.

The paths on the guitar become well worn and practiced. The fretboard stops looking like a mysterious abacus and more like a book, already memorized through many rereads. One does not have to hope that a desired effect takes place--the will to produce the effect invariably makes it happen.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2004 17:27:36

duende

RE: The Art of Rasgueado - Anastassakis (in reply to Miguel de Maria

TA DA DA DA DAAA
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2004 18:37:02

Paleto

RE: The Art of Rasgueado - Anastassakis (in reply to Thomas Whiteley

Tom,

My thought was to learn some different rasgueo patterns. I use 6 different ones (6 different combinations of fingers), each yields a different effect, as probably everyone here knows.

I would like to add some more to my repertoire, as well as pick up some good ideas for practicing rasgueo. I have found that I can get a pretty good sound from the ones I have learned if I practice them regularly with a metronome.

You are right, there's a bio on another page which says Anastassakis was a student of Juan Serrano. But if you peruse the contents, there are a lot of rasgueados there, not just Juan Serranos, and I once looked in the book and most are attributed to their likely origin, ie. person.

It seems like a useful book for those who care.

It could generate some good discussions between those of us who want to read it and learn some new things (or old things).

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2004 1:41:19

Thomas Whiteley

Anthony;

Another consideration for rasgueados is ones physical make up, abilities and what you are attempting to accomplish or what is required.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2004 2:01:18

Paleto

Tom,

You sound like your thinking about limitations, which is something every guitarist would be wise to consider.

I tend to think that with some hard work, most techniques can be accomplished by most guitarists.

I don't have the most limber hands, but with effort, I am increasing their elasticity and stretch.

I figured that I could pick up a few more rasgueados.

On the one hand you have been encouraging toward each person creating his own voice, on the other, at least from the last post in this thread, it sounds like you think it may not be so important to learn some rasgueos others have created.. Are you suggesting I try to come up with my own?

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2004 17:46:33

Billyboy

I think your physical dimensions limit you to what rasgueados you can or can't do, the continuas rasgueado that Juan Martin does is beyond me, also a little used one by Phillip J Lee- 3 2 1 down 3 2 1 up as a continual rasgueado, you need loads of right hand strength for that one.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2004 19:10:13

Phil

Tom said,
quote:

Sabicas appears to be the first to use indice, medio for picado.

Are you sure of this? Didn't Ramon Montoya use picado? I used to have an album of his and I'm sure he used picado. I've just listened to a Buleria por Solea recorded sometime prior to 1933 and the guitarist, Miguel Borrull, hijo, is clearly using picado. These guys were around long before Sabicas and it seems they were using picado.

The CAF website has some very interesting historical recordings available for downloading. That's where I heard Borrull accompanying Manuel Torre.
Phil
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2004 0:16:02

Miguel de Maria

Rasgeuados are not about strength. They come from lots of practice,understanding the guitar and hands, and are not about muscle. You don't have to be 200 lbs to hit a golf ball 300 yards and you don't have to be a gorilla to play flamenco! You can learn to play louder by playing lighter.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2004 15:03:40

Paleto

While trying to find out more info about this book, I found a review on amazon.com which included a link to the author's site:

www.ioannis.org

There is quite a bit of information there about the author.

There are also some flamenco tabs for those interested.

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2004 21:52:47
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote