Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Playing music for a living or or occasionally for money   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Jim Opfer

Interesting Jim.

My brother is a licensed Civil Engineer and works for the state of California and for a group in San Diego (about 550 miles South). The San Diego group is the job he loves! We just attended the annual Christmas party in San Diego. The owner of the company is an architect and everyone that works for the company is a licensed engineer. They design and build Olympic sized swimming pools. My brother just bought his annual $1 million insurance policy. You have to protect yourself just in case.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 15:30:27

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Paleto

Anthony;

I can assure you that the most rewarding thing in life is having a good marriage and raising children to be good members of society. Being an artist is a self centered and introverted activity that only one person, the artist, can truly enjoy. That enjoyment may actually be suffering, as few artists became rich and famous.

I began piano when I was six, and made my debut with Richard Stoltzman when we were both nine. Richard is an outstanding Clarinetist and well known throughout the world. I went into electronics engineering and now programming, just to pay the bills.

Before I married I played flamenco professionally for a number of Spanish dancers. Ciro and Rosa Montoya were amongst them. I made a lot of money in a short time and then no money while waiting for the next event. That is not a good formula for success in my book.

I play many musical instruments and truly enjoy music. Chuck Keyser said he envied me as I have a great wife, son and daughter. By Chuck’s thinking on the subject raising a family is more important than flamenco guitar.

I have a Steinway piano and still play, and occasionally teach. I taught our son and daughter and our son was classified as a concert pianist when he was 15. He is now a grammar school teacher, having just completed college and also teaches piano. He still plays piano and is learning many guitar styles including flamenco.

I have been fortunate to have had good teachers and acquaintances in music. When I played classical guitar I had Rey de la Torre and Sagovia as teachers. In flamenco I knew Sabicas and Carlos Montoya, who both gave me outstanding advice. Many others have aided me in my music adventure, including my neighbor down the street, Mariano Cordoba, who played guitar for Antonio and the Spanish Ballet.

One person I met said that for me music should be an advocation. Separate vocation from advocation. You use music as a means of expression and stress relief. You have a vocation to pay the bills and exist.

I still play flamenco and have played for Jose Galvan and his family not too long ago. I also play for the many family gatherings we have here and in Los Angeles, as well as Juergas for the San Jose Flamenco Society. I think I have an advantage in that my wife’s family is from Zaragoza, Spain, trained in flamenco cante y baile, and is a great source of encouragement to me. In two weeks we will celebrate our 38-wedding anniversary.

My advice is to give your family top priority and fit your music in as best as possible. Never let music or anything else get between you and your family.

Whatever you do in life - enjoy the ride!

Tom
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 15:53:37

Escribano

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Thomas Whiteley

quote:

In two weeks we will celebrate our 38-wedding anniversary.

Happy Anniversary and Happy Holidays Tom !

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 16:07:24

Paleto

Tom,

I was hoping you'd write in. I was also hoping you'd take it as seriously as you did too. It would have bene nice to of met you when you were here in San Diego, maybe next time.

I recognize the concern for raising a family. On the other hand you faced the same dilemmas of "this thing is inside me and needs some expression" but I don't know what you did to get yourself beyond it and to dedicate yourself to a stable career.

I have also recognized the selfish aspect of wanting to express the creativity I have for music, but it doesn't change the strong desire that's there to go with it.

My wife is a Ph.D. and is currently finishing a masters in Education and will continue to be able to help support us. She is aware of my strong desire to pursue music but obviously has her reservations.

In any event, your words are appreciated deeply - thanks for taking the time to share some thoughts.

I have been wanting to make music a side career, but haven't been able to make the time to develop the repertoire nor all the accompaniment skills to even begin trying to perform more seriously, even as just an avocation.

I have had the opportunity to play for a dance class and for the recitals, but that stopped nearly a year ago when my son was born. Perhaps when the dust settles and I return to the classes, I'll feel that the artistic enterprise is being fulfilled enough to leave it at that. But I am still not convinced I shouldn't give it a shot, while perhaps maintaining a thouroughly researched, stable and realistic plan B.

In any case, I'd like to urge everyone to continue thinking about what's been posted on this thread as well as tangential concepts, like how well do communities support the arts? (if poorly, why?) what is there that we can do to promote flamenco artistry? or whatever others deem related.

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 17:37:36

Kate

Congratulations to you and your wife Tom, and here's to many more happy years together. My parents are just about to celebrate their 49th and nest year for their 50th we are having a big fiesta here in Granada, even my long lost brother who lives in Vietnam is coming over for this party. Harold and I will reach our 20th anniversary together next year and to celebrate we think we may actually get married :)

We have been surviving in this music world for 20 years now, as performers and producers. It was tough living hand to mouth in London but here in Granada it is much easier to be poor and much more fun. Occasionally we have hit the jackpot and worked on productions that bring in good money but it has never been a priority, we dont go looking for commercial productions but prefer to work on music and with musicians we enjoy. I think what Tom says is right the most important thing in life are your relationships with friends and family and for a musician it is even more important to have this love, support and understanding because it is a hard life. It is not a job that you can leave at the office and go home for the weekend. Financially there are no guarentees so you live life a bit on the edge. I've got used to that and wouldn't change a thing. I know I could not survive a proper job.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 18:14:07

Miguel de Maria

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Ron.M

Anthony,
I think if you want to help flamenco, you have to bring it the top-notch flamencos, specifically the guitarists. People like Paco and Vicente and Tomatito have the ability to reach out even to Americans, because of their virtuosity and melodic senses. Flamenco singing and dancing just can't do it to the same degree, although perhaps Antonio Canales could rile some people around here up. I heard Vicente Amigo was on a Sting album, if so, that is great and is a step in the rigth direction. The Gipsy Kings are great for flamenco--imagine how many guitarists started because of hearing Tonino! Chuscales is a nice presense here, too--we need more people like this.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 19:24:49

Kate

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

"I think if you want to help flamenco, you have to bring it the top-notch flamencos, specifically the guitarists. People like Paco and Vicente and Tomatito have the ability to reach out even to Americans, because of their virtuosity and melodic senses. Flamenco singing and dancing just can't do it to the same degree,... "

Hola Miguel,

Hmmmm I disagree, it is not only the likes of PdL, Tomatito, VA, ie virtuoso guitarists, that can move Americans/foreigners. Our experience over in Detroit, Chicago, Indiana, Wisconsin tells me different. Taller de Compás consists of two singers, 3 percussionists and a dancer and the crowds went crazy, this was real flamenco brought from the dirty streets of Almanjáyar, rough ,raw and exciting, dangerous and wild, as opposed to practised and rehearsed and studied. Carmen received standing ovations, ending the performances by singing off mike al palo seco. We sold around 400 CDs and Carmen signed nearly every one. After the show people were queueing up to take their photo with her. There are no guitars in the group and no-one seemed to mind ( sorry guys :) and people were genuinely moved by the cante and compás. It was an incredible experience for all of us, as some people here on the forum who were there will attest ( are you there Scott ?)

kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 20:06:21

Paleto

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Kate

Each set of artists, virtuosos or however Kate prefers to classify Taller, would appeal to different audiences, with some spillover.

I don't care for the psuedo-flamenco of Gipsy Kings, De madera, or others like them, but I also understand the point them being the first contact with a flamenco-like music for some people. The problem with it is that a lot of people think that's flamenco and, well, we all know it's not.

I think some people (like me) are impressed with Tomatito, VA, Nuñez or others, probably mainly guitarists themselves. But there are plenty of others known and not known, who impress audiences with simpler, or less polished, down home style flamenco. How well it is appreciated depends upon the tastes of each individual in an audience - I believe.

In reply to Kate "no-one seemed to mind" [that there was no guitarist], I doubt that actually, they just didn't bother to make an issue of it or none of those who cared said anything, agree? There are plenty of people who aren't moved by guitar, I have met freaks like them :-)

In any case, thanks for the thoughts.

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 20:32:20

Escribano

Jeronimo Maya didn't use cajon, dancers, palmista or bass at his gig last Sunday. Although the cante was excellent, two guitars, or worse, just one doesn't cut the flamenco mustard for me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 21:15:59

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Kate

Kate;

This has been true for the 45 years I have been in flamenco. There are many flamencos from Spain that reach your heart and soul and are not famous. They play at family events for the most part. Trying to exist takes their time – they do not make a living at flamenco.

I also know and have known some flamencos that are world famous and others that are great at what they do. If you are able to reach someone with your music, dance or singing you have done your job!

Life in Silicon Valley is not meant for an artist. However, I know a few who somehow have survived for the forty years I have known them. They are not rich but they are happy.

Being an “artist” is dependent upon many factors, one of which is comfort level. The more comfort you demand the less artistic you will be unless you are truly gifted and lucky. At the same time you can live off of art and not be a world class performer. If you want to live well you have to trade your music for a well paying job.

I hope to retire soon and then spend all my spare time with music. I would live in Spain but think we would go broke from calling our son and daughter.

Tom
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 21:28:46

Thomas Whiteley

Anthony;

By chance do you know Paco Sevilla? He played in "Old Town" for twenty three years. Wish I knew you lived in San Diego!

Tom
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 21:39:00

Kate

Hi Anthony,

I would classify Taller de Compás as flamenco artists the same as I would Tomatito, VA etc. I was simply saying that you don't have to have a guitar for newcomers to the art to appreciate flamenco. When we made the 'Cale calé' album absolutely everyone said you cant have a flamenco album without guitar but we did it anyway and proved them wrong ( though we sneaked on Emilio Maya)

Agreed that the people in the audience who did not like it are not likely to come up and tell us, but I swear whole audiences were on their feet and they were doing up to four encores before they were allowed to leave the stage. These youngsters, aged 14 to 20, are not well known, with no powerful publicity machine behind them. For many in the audience it was their first flamenco experience and I think the Taller proved that the combination of young people, cante, cajón and jaleo is a great intro to this art. And, sorry to sound pedantic, this is not simply my thoughts but a real life experience of taking flamenco to a foreign country.

Perhaps saying this on a forum made up of flamenco guitarists will not make me popular but I was disagreeing with Michael's statement "I think if you want to help flamenco, you have to bring it the top-notch flamencos, specifically the guitarists."

I overheard two Spanish men after one show discussing the concert saying "This has changed my concept of flamenco" I don't know if it is relevant but they were also guitarists as were many of the audience at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago.

Now I must go got several guitarists knocking on the door

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 22:00:42

Miguel de Maria

Kate,
your experiences are certainly contrary to my, hypothesis I guess it was. Have you heard of the percussion troupes that have had quite a bit of success in the States? I can't remember what they are called, but they feature clever choreography with lots of percussion, using objects such as brooms, etc. Also, Taiko drummers, those weird Japanese guys who wear loincloths and pound on giant drums, have come to Phoenix several times and done quite well. You know, guitars are one thing but once the bongo starts clacking, people start tapping their feet--they can't help themselves. Maybe it's not guitar we need, but percussion, to get people into it. When I think of what people like about flamenco guitar, I think of the virtuosity, the aggressiveness, and the melodies. But that's certainly not as universal as percussion. On the other hand, people have a hard time tapping their feet to bulerias, don't you think?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 22:55:02

Paleto

Yeah I do know Paco. Known him for more than 10 years. I don't see him often, but it's fun to get him chatting about flamenco, he sure knows quite a bit.

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2003 23:35:54

Ron.M

Mike,
It used to bug me a lot that guitarists would come third in the pecking order in Flamenco. Then it started to dawn on me that Flamencos don't need guitar to have a good time.
Like a lot of other "ethnic" music, the rhythm and expression through voice or dance came first, with homemade or improvised percussion instruments used to add to the general party.
In N. European/Western culture, we are used to the voice being overlaid upon a rich musical texture, and dancing is something that we do in Dancehalls or Discos to completed pieces of music (usually played at 160dB!)
Folk like us are introduced to Flamenco usually through playing guitar, be it Folk/Classical etc so the guitar becomes the focal point and the rest of the Art seems to surround it.... well, for a long time that certainly was my attitude.
I really don't believe this is the case in Spain, where you get the feeling that say, someone like Moraito sees himself as a Flamenco first and a guitarist second.
I'm sure if he turned up at a juerga and there was no guitar, then, so what... they would all have a great time anyway!
Phil has said that it's unusual to have a solo guitar recital where he lives as folk, even though they enjoy a display of virtuosity from time to time, find there is not enough "meat" in it to keep them entertained for an evening.
You are definitely right in saying that the guitar, especially virtuoso guitar as played by the big names, is the crowd puller outside of Spain and although this may be fine for audiences, I think focussing exclusively on the guitar as a serious student is unhelpful in becoming a good Flamenco Guitarist.
Just my thoughts.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 8:48:13

Jon Boyes

quote:

How many people here either;

A) play music for a living;

or

B) make some money by playing publicly or for private events;

or

C) Would like to make some money playing?

I started the discussion to generate some sharing of experience by those do play out.
<snip>

Hi Paleto.

Sorry to come in so late on this, I have limited access at the moment.

Yes, I make part of my living playing music - in a very good month its about a third of my income, but its usually around a fifth or a quarter. You can visit my website here to get an idea of how often I play, where, what music etc: www.jonboyes.co.uk
I also play private functions, and these are not listed in my gig section.

I'll try and answer some of your points by relating my own experience.

Yes its tough, but if you want something badly enough you will drive your life in that direction, regardless of your circumstances. It is a question of your life priorities - two years ago I was earning no money from music, now as I said its an important part of my income. I started getting live solo experience by busking and doing 'open mic' slots, and then began the hard process of finding gigs. As the money start to come in, I invested in better gear and started to cut down on the day job. My plan is to reduce the day job further, so I can invest more time in my music as there is so much I want to do. Stopping the day job completely is probably unrealistic unless the Gipsy Kings get back in the UK charts and there is a sudden upsurge of interest in Spanish guitar music in this country

Opportunities for flamenco guitarists? Forget it in this country (UK). You may pick up the occasional gig, may get really lucky and find a dance company to work with, but unless you are world class you will be playing to a local audience as Mike says. If you want to work as a guitarist, you have to be very flexible about what you play, and that means playing tunes people can recognise. If I play a Solea at one of my restaurant gigs, I'll get some polite clapping if I'm lucky, whereas there've been times when I've played 'Romanza' and practically got a standing ovation.

Competition? Not much, thankfully. There are three other gigging guitarists in my city (population 250k) playing similar-ish material to me, and at the moment I am getting the most gigs (at least, public ones, I don't know about their private ones). It is all down to marketing, creating a niche and developing your market as I have already said - this is actually more important than your skills as a guitarist, although obviously you need to be of a certain standard. I advertise, have a website, I'm listed with agencies, I'm in the phone book under musicians, I network like mad, etc., etc. I now probably spend more of my time on marketing myself than I do actually practising the guitar - that is the reality if you want to make a sustainable living out of this.

For me, music, and guitar playing in particular, is far too important to be wasted on something as trivial as a hobby. That does NOT mean I think that hobbies are trivial, or that its trivial for other people to be doing this, I am talking about my own *personal* thing.

Rewards? Ok, this is the thing that's hardest to quantify but let me tell you this. There's is nothing like the feeling you get when a room full of people start applauding you, or people get up and start dancing to your music, or you get an email from someone saying they caught your gig and though it was great, or someone asks you when you plan to release a CD... when these things happen, and you really enjoy playing, AND get paid at the end of the evening, you'll have the biggest smile around.

I still have to pinch myself sometimes..

Jon

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 10:49:07

Kate

Hi Miguel

i just posted a long reply to your post but think it went missing so will try again.

Yeas I know the drum shows you mention, one called Stomp from Boston and teh have seen the Japanese drummers too. Amazing stuff. If anyone has videos of these I woudl love a copy to show the Taller.

Here I have noticed that percussion, compás, cajón classes are becoming more and more popular. Though I could swing for the hippy bongo layers taht set up in quiet plazas in eth Albaicín and play to themoon for hours

After all anyone can bang a drum but can they do it por bulería ? I knew someone who came here for two weeks, did a week course in compás, went back to Scotland to make a flamenco/celtic groove album. Result....... very sad but possibly commercial.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 13:19:58

Kate

Good luck on retiring Tom and even if you dont come to live in Spain you will be able to travel wherever you want and enjoy your music and your leisure.

saludos
Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 13:22:56

Miguel de Maria

Re: flamenco/celtic commercial album.

Kate,
I think we need to be a bit more diplomatic when we're talking about Ron. I mean, commercial or not, he is our friend, right? :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 14:27:40

Ron.M

LOL! Actually a decade or more ago, some young Scottish rock musicians started to experiment with giving traditional Scottish material a rock style treatment.
So called "Jock Rock".
I must admit I didn't like it at all, but it did have some success.
Traditional Scottish music is very "tame" in relation to Irish music, which needs no "jazzing" up at all. In fact Irish music and Country & Western have a much bigger following here than traditional Scottish stuff.
So every now and then some group tries to add some sort of new rhythmic flavour to try to make it more appealing to a younger generation.
So in a way we've got a similar traditional/nuevo argument going on like Flamenco!
I wonder what "The Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomond" would sound like "por Bulerias" though?

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 15:19:59

Kate

ROFL Hey its the Flamenco Highland Fling.

Which reminds me, did I ever tell you about being cornered by Remedios Amaya and forced to sing "It's not unusual" ( Tom Jones) por Bulerías. Funnily enough it worked ( though my singing is more welsh than Spanish) but cant see Tom and Remedios doing a duet though

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 16:06:30

Paleto

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Jon Boyes

Jon,

Thanks for the thoughts.

"Yes its tough, but if you want something badly enough you will drive your
life in that direction, regardless of your circumstances."

This is something I have been thinking about too. Am I willing to work hard to
make it happen? Yes. How hard, only doing it will tell me how hard I'll have
to try. I need to be asking myself how much sacrifice I'd be willing to endure.

"I started getting live solo experience by busking and doing 'open mic'
slots, and then began the hard process of finding gigs. As the money start
to come in, I invested in better gear and started to cut down on the day
job. My plan is to reduce the day job further, so I can invest more time in
my music as there is so much I want to do."

This is very similar to what I have been forseeing for myself if I try it.

"Opportunities for flamenco guitarists? Forget it in this country (UK). You
may pick up the occasional gig, may get really lucky and find a dance
company to work with, but unless you are world class you will be playing to
a local audience as Mike says. If you want to work as a guitarist, you have
to be very flexible about what you play, and that means playing tunes people
can recognise. If I play a Solea at one of my restaurant gigs, I'll get some
polite clapping if I'm lucky, whereas there've been times when I've played
'Romanza' and practically got a standing ovation."

I live in large city, probably more than 3 perhaps even 4 million in the
county, and growing... There is much work to be done, but just like you,
it'll take some serious marketing and hard work. My wife has been warning me
about having to play standards, things like Romance anónimo (Romanza, the
one you mentioned?), perhaps some jazz (which I would like to learn a few)
or some nice classical pieces (which I don't mind some of [I love much
classical, especially Bach, Barrios, some Lauro, as well as lesser known
pieces which are not overplayed/overrecorded] and would be willing to make
them part of my repertoire).

"Competition? Not much, thankfully. There are three other gigging guitarists
in my city (population 250k) playing similar-ish material to me, and at the
moment I am getting the most gigs (at least, public ones, I don't know about
their private ones). It is all down to marketing, creating a niche and
developing your market as I have already said - this is actually more
important than your skills as a guitarist, although obviously you need to be
of a certain standard. I advertise, have a website, I'm listed with
agencies, I'm in the phone book under musicians, I network like mad, etc.,
etc. I now probably spend more of my time on marketing myself than I do
actually practising the guitar - that is the reality if you want to make a
sustainable living out of this. "

There is plenty of competition here, but I see myself developing a really nice
repertoire, most of which no-one else here will be playing. I also have some
ideas for marketing and recording a demo cd for possible clients (but this
is still probably ~2 years in the future). Others do similar, but each guitarist I know here plays differently and is after their own sound, as am I.

"For me, music, and guitar playing in particular, is far too important to be
wasted on something as trivial as a hobby. That does NOT mean I think that
hobbies are trivial, or that its trivial for other people to be doing this,
I am talking about my own *personal* thing."

I agree here. There is an important point I have been wanting to make, and
this is rather far into the post to make it, but I will take the time here
to make it anyway. Hopefully, others will take the time to read this entire
post. Here it is:

I think some portion of the population on this planet has some kind of biological predetermination to be musical. An even smaller sub-group will be able to express it. And an even smaller group still will experience very strong emotional rewards listening to and playing music. In any regard, why should a certain group of people, who are deeply passionate about music have to deny or at least ignore to some degree this important part of their personality to work in something to which they are not necesarily well suited?

The question of artists making a living doing their art is vastly complicated, at least I think. And there will always be people who use clichés and stereotypes to denigrate musicians and other artists, saying oh they just don't want to work, or oh they are a bunch of liberals, or whatever stupid reason they happen to come up with. But the fact remains that some people really, fundamentally, need to do music or whatever the art form is they feel is right for them to feel fulfilled in life and career.

I think I have some characteristics that make me suited well to music, perhaps a couple other characteristics less so.

I also think there is still a lack of interest just generally speaking on the part of non-artistic people and at least in the US, the cuts in funding for the arts in public schools is exacerbating the problem. There are currents to contrary, but they seem too little too late somtimes.

There are concert goers and there are well off individuals who both employ artists for their events or who fund arts through a university or through other means, but it seems to me on the whole to be of far too little value in a general way..

The above is not perfectly coherent, and may sound like just general complaining, but the point is to try to come to a realistic perspective which accounts for the status of artistic enterprise as it fits into the larger social and political context.

Anyone have comments.

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 19:43:22

Miguel de Maria

Anthony,
Last year I stayed a few days at the Del Coronado and there was this guy there, longhaired blonde playing "spanish" music, with just two-fingers, Jon Boyes style! I told him I was from Phoenix and played flamenco, and he told me he just learned playing that way. That being said, he had a gig there five nights a week, playign his own stuff, the Pacific just a hundred yards away. Pretty cushy gig.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 21:48:24

Escribano

With Marilyn thrown in? Cushty - as we say.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 21:55:33

Thomas Whiteley

Ron;

Irish music is an important root of much of the music of the United States from specific forms such as folk, Appalachian, Blue Grass, and some types of Country and Western.

Now when it comes to bagpipes, the Scots have the finest instrument in the world for that purpose! I do like bagpipes and have and play the Chanter. The Chanter is the part of the bagpipe without the bag! You use lungpower! I do like my Penny Whistle also.

My cousin Brian Walsh (from Cork, Ireland) can really play the pipes and Penny Whistle! He was in the movie Titanic and others too, as a solo player and actor. I learned a lot by listening to him play. That got him upset when I told him how he achieved certain effects! Man can he play!

Tom
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 23:02:31

Thomas Whiteley

Anthony;

If you want to make money playing an instrument be one of the best in the world if not the best! It really helps to play what people want to hear regardless of the aduience.

Know your audience! Who will you target!

Have your own sound.

Play your own material.

Now if you want to play flamenco then consider solo or a small group. A group is more fun. Sharing your passion with others is something that you all can appreciate.

Know your material and what you are doing.

Tom
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 23:08:42

Paleto

Thanks Tom.

I do want to play my own material, but I haven't been able to develop my own music yet.

I very much want to have my own pieces, but it will take some time to compose some. I see myself starting with music of others, then migrating to my own.

In the resources section, I am going to post a cool article written by a jazz guitarist, which describes a lesson with an interesting teacher named Mick Goodrick.

The essay touches on developing ones own sound.

It doesn't have specific suggestions, but is kind of a short philosophical answer to the question.

I think some people may enjoy it.

Anthony
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2003 23:35:36

Phil

Ron,
I really think you{ve hit the nail on the head with your comments.
quote:

I really don't believe this is the case in Spain, where you get the feeling that say, someone like Moraito sees himself as a Flamenco first and a guitarist second. I'm sure if he turned up at a juerga and there was no guitar, then, so what... they would all have a great time anyway!

As a matter of fact, Estela ran into him and El Capullo at 11:00 in the morning at a bar in Jerez a few weeks ago and Moraito didn't have a guitar -- he was dancing! So you are 100% correct in you assumptions.
Phil
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2003 0:26:53

Ron.M

RE: Playing music for a living or or... (in reply to Phil

Hey Phil,
It would also seem that an extremely good liver function would be an added bonus in order to handle bar sessions at 11 in the morning.
Were they just starting out, or just finishing off from the night before?
Jeez, and I thought Scotland was bad for the drink.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2003 10:48:47

Phil

Ron,
Bars in Spain are also places where you can have coffee or a glass of juice. Besides, having a copita of anis or cognac in the morning is an Andalucian tradition that I regularly observe. I'm just trying to fit in is all. However, I'm sure that Moraito and Capullo were just having a couple of orange juices.
Phil
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2003 0:34:52
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote