Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to duende

Well I'm sorry too Henrik..
That's the way it goes..
I'm pretty sure I could "sell" my attempts at Flamenco to some folk in the village here after maybe playing a couple of well rehearsed numbers at the village hall on a Friday night...
(Friday Night in Newtonhill...Scotland!!... )

But really, does anybody who is still having to go back and count compás, who has never played for a singer or dancer and isn't part of the Spain grapevine of guitarists really think that they are going to take on the greats and not-so-greats in Andalucia by producing a CD of their stuff?

Gimme a break...

Those who have pierced the culture have made themselves known to the Flamencos through, well, really dedicating their lives to it, through their work.
Names that come to mind are Amir Haddad, Tino de (something).... ...
There you go...I can't even remember his last name now...Van der Smamm, or something....

To make it from that level up to Paco de Lucia (who's name I always seem to remember)
takes a ****ing ..LOT!

Not by fumbling your way through tabs of his compositions IMO.

Most of us are not even on the level of Amir or Tino...

Who, REALLY, wants to buy a CD of somebody who got really excited because they managed to get a complete Bulerias done totally in compás?
I'm not meaning you Henrik...but generally.

I'm not trying to do down the enthusiasm and talent that some folk have here..
If you are talking about loving Flamenco guitar for it's passion and challenge, then great.

But if you are talking about putting your recordings from your bedroom against the World's best...and trying to compete for sales...

Forget it.

Just enjoy and practise.. IMO..

Sorry for the reality check!

Ron

PS: I'm definitely sure Ricardo is going to disagree with me here
I just have that kinda feeling...
Ricardo... I think he's on the level of the pro's.
Not famous...but on that level..really solid player.

ToddK?
Well...Todd's just the wildcard here...
I don't know how he does it but IMO he's a bloody genius!!
I'd buy his CD tomorrow!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 22:34:01

Miguel de Maria

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Ron.M

Ron,
well, I guess me, Henrik, Ricardo, and Jon should all just pack it in since a grumpy Scotsman has decreed that we're never going to be as good as Paco. Heck, someone might as well tell Juan Martin, too. The party is over. We should get together and burn our Condes and stop living this terrible lie.

I'm glad Todd has escaped your godlike judgement, though. Todd, in case you haven't noticed, you now have permission to make an album.

[PS, Henrik, Ricardo, Jon don't take this post that I think I'm as good as you guys :)]

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 0:51:05

duende

who said anything about competing with Paco? or Tomatito?
All i enjoy is to make instrumental guitar music, done it for 17years.
now it just happens to be in the idiom of flamenco.

I personaly wouldn´t record any music i haden´t made myself.
And it´s not about technique. It´s about melody.
A good melody is a good melody even if it´s played with poor technique.

And in the incredibly flamenco starved scandinavia....well...ANY half good cd/demo
will get noticed by the "In" crowd.
If you can´t get to the action.. make the action come to you.

or....maybe it´s true.. one has to play 20 years of dance 20 years of cante and THEN your premited to play solo guitar.

Most of us doesn´t have that chance so i´ll figure i´ll learn by makeing music.
Thats the best way belive me.
Make a tango for example. then play along and study the masters or any flamenco cd and see if your in the "groove" or in the right mood.

The sound is another matter.
Im thinking i should fly to Scottland and force you, RON into teaching me your tone.
You sound like Sabicas. Sometimes Niño Ricardo. how you get that tone !!??

With your skill and sound you could have outdone Juan Martin a 100 times.

anyway...back to my morning walk.
i´ve already lost 1kilo

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 6:42:15

duende

Ron i will send you my home made cd in the mail.
won´t be soon. I was to record it all this sumer but it happens i got an infection in an "over movable joint" so im just getting back to playing as we speak.

Hopfuly im done with it in september or something.

"over movable joint" Does it have a propper name in english?? please tell me.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 6:51:17

JBASHORUN

Shroomy, one more for you if you're still selecting:

http://www.elflamencovive.es/musicatodoficha.asp?refe=15905

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 11:33:58

Ron.M

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Mike,
Now you're just being silly and attributing statements to me, which I never made.
Nowhere did I say folk should give up or burn guitars etc.
Of course it makes sense for a working guitarist to make a sampler CD to promote himself and try to sell at gigs.

I just don't see the point of learners like me, making a CD that's going to sit alongside CD's of Paco, Manolo, Moraito etc etc, on a sale-or-return basis, unless it's just to point out to everybody..

Maybe it's because I'm old (as well as grumpy) and CD's maybe don't carry the "status" element that they once had in the past and as Henrik said, it's common now for amateur rock bands etc to make albums.

I dunno.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 13:50:33

Ron.M

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to duende)1 votes

Henrik,
I can't imagine what an over moveable joint is?
Doesn't sound too good anyway.
Hope it clears up soon!.

About the tone thing...thanks for the kind words.
The only thing I can think of is that I learn everything directly from records.
No tabs or music.
So maybe you tend to pick up some of the sound here and there along with the falseta or whatever?

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 13:59:40

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M
I just don't see the point of learners like me, making a CD that's going to sit alongside CD's of Paco, Manolo, Moraito etc etc, on a sale-or-return basis, unless it's just to point out to everybody..

Haven't posted much recently, been busy finishing my CD. No, really!!

Had to come in on this, though.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of recording and selling a 'flamenco' CD right now. Maybe in the future, who knows, but the standard is just SO high in this particular genre I would feel a little ridiculous. That's a personal thing.

However, I have no problem releasing a CD of my own music, that's influenced by flamenco or whatever else. I think I write a good tune and so many people have asked me for a CD of my music over the years I would be mad not too. I am running a business after all.

I disagree with Ron's views of musicians making their own CDs in general:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M
In the old days, you'd have to convince a Record Company that it was worthwhile making an investment in you, so an Agent would be sent along to look at your concerts and judge the reaction etc.
So at least there was a bit of third-party filtering.
These days anyone with a bit of computer savvy can sit in their bedroom and make a CD.

Well yes, times have changed and the technology has enabled artists to be their own producers, set up their own labels etc.
Does that mean lots of crap gets recorded? Yes of course, but ultimately the market decides how well a product does. Also, plenty of crap gets recorded by artists who HAVE been 'spotted' by A&R men and given contracts.

Heard of this guy, Ron?: http://www.sethlakeman.co.uk/ He's one of the UK's best selling folk artists, he was a finalist for the Mercury prize last year (ie the industry's own award) for best album, which he recorded himself in his kitchen at a budget of £300. He was up against Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs etc, ie Big bands on big labels.

Heard of the Artic Monkeys? Again, a huge act on the UK indie/rock scene, who launched their own music, building up a following on the internet.

Jo Satriani financed his first recording himself, so did the Darkness (just off the top of my head).... both later got snapped up by major labels.

So I don't buy the implication that home recorded music, or even musicians financing their own recordings which is pretty much the same thing, means it is inferior. Cream will always rise to the top.

I think its a good thing that musicians now have greater scope to produce and market their own work, its empowering. The good stuff will sell, and less of the profits go to the fat cats that run the recording industry and basically maintain the status quo ("..hey looks like boy bands playing punk-pop are popular right now - quick, go and sign up a few more!").

There is also now the potential for a closer relationship between artist and their audience via the internet thanks to this revolution in the way the industry works.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 15:23:22

Miguel de Maria

Well, I'm not making a sampler CD and it doesn't have my songs on it, but I still am going to make it and make some money with it. And it's not even flamenco and it's not competing with Paco. I see it more as a bridge to Paco, maybe a way for the average joe or jane to hear solo guitar. Hopefully they'll be inspired to check out people like Paco, Segovia, John Williams if they like my stuff (and hopefully buy a second album too). Heck, hopefully someone will like it and ask me to sell cheap guitars on TV or make insurance commercials. Actually, I think it would be more fun to get on film somehow--Maybe play Johnny Depp's uglier brother.

I think the "good ol days" were pretty bad. Sure, there was a filter that allowed only the top non-pop acts to get through. But that filter also meant that the rest of those non-pop acts were more likely to have to cut hair for a living. So, it wasn't a creator of quality as you suggest Ron, but something that stifled the general pool of working musicians. Although it didn't and still doesn't seem to encourage or create greater skill or ability in pop musicians, does it?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 15:33:52

JBASHORUN

Hell, if Manitas De Plata and Ottmar Liebert can make a decent living off albums, then why shouldn't anyone else have their 15 minutes of fame?

Actually, Miguel is a bit of an aspiring Manitas De Plata... except a lot more talented! But he's got that whole "celebrity persona attitude" thing going on.

Oops, I hope I haven't offended you there, Miguel! you really are superior to Manitas.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 15:51:09

JBASHORUN

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to JBASHORUN

No gold teeth though, fortunately. And a lot better looking.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 16:29:18

JBASHORUN

In retrospect, Miguel is actually closer to the antithesis of Manitas De Plata...

Whereas Manitas won over crowds with his rustic charm and seeming "authenticity", Miguel wins them over with a much smoother, polished, modern presentation, and superior technique.

Both seem to have good PR, but for different reasons.

They do share a similar aptitude for the spotlight, IMO.

No offense!!!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 17:56:19

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: JBASHORUN
In retrospect, Miguel is actually closer to the antithesis of Manitas De Plata...

I'll lend you my spade, JBASH, you just keep digging

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 18:49:58

Garyw1960

To summarise................Miguel ......reading between the lines .....James likes your playing and your style.

Good luck with any recording keep us posted.

Regards

Gary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 18:58:02

cneberg

Say whatever you like "JBASHORUN ", but Miguel will never get so close to Brigitte (the young version )

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 19:07:23

JBASHORUN

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Garyw1960)1 votes

quote:

To summarise................Miguel ......reading between the lines .....James likes your playing and your style.

Exactly. I'll be the first in the queue to buy his new CD when it is realeased. Let's hope he'll autograph it for me too... It'll be worth money when he's a big star!!!

Oh, I don't know, Cneberg- if what I have heard is true, Miguel is very popular with the ladies too! And if thats what happened to Manitas, then imagine what lies ahead for Miguel...

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 19:45:51

Miguel de Maria

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Ron.M)1 votes

J,
I'm just going to ignore your last four posts :)))))))

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2006 19:57:29

JBASHORUN

quote:

J,
I'm just going to ignore your last four posts :)))))))

Yes, probably the best thing. I don't know what I was thinking.

Sorry Manit.... er, I mean Miguel!

Now where's that Spade?

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2006 11:34:10

Miguel de Maria

To be honest I didn't know anything about Manitas except a few clips here adn there. But yesterday I was at a music store and they had a CD with three "Spanish" guitarists. One, Alirio Diaz, was from Venezuela The other Angel Romero, was raised in LA to my knowledge. And the other, Manitas de Plata, is from France!

Anyway, which one of these guys doesn't belong? You had these two classical players, at the top of their game, playing majestically, and then this gutteral and arrytyhmatic pounding on the guitar from the other. The alegrias, bulerias, tangos...quite horrible really. The one positive is that he had a lightning fast picado! He usually hit about 70% of the notes but the rest were quite spectacular.

By the way, Angel Romero can really play.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2006 14:30:16

JBASHORUN

Well, I once went out to dinner with some colleagues from my jewellery class. Amongst them was middle aged Spanish lady and her younger daughter. I told them that I listen to (and play) a bit of Flamenco, which she laughed at. I mentioned Paco De Lucia, and got a blank stare. But had she heard of Manitas De Plata? Sure, everyone's heard of Manitas!!!

On the bright side, her younger daughter had read Jason Webster's "Duende" book, so perhaps all is not lost.

Maybe Manitas is more of a "media personality" than a musician, I'm not sure.

But for someone who many claim has very little talent, he sure made the most of it!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2006 15:22:33

Ricardo

I think Angel was born and raised in Malaga. Although they all came to the US during Franco I believe. I think Angel lives in North Carolina, or did. Allula records is his doing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2006 17:22:09

JBASHORUN

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Original: Ricardo:
Esteban Sanlucar's short play recording is available, as I and others mentioned, on "Maestros de la guitarra flamenca" vol 3 and 4. It is split up, 4 pieces on each CD.

I can't seem to find a single stockist for vol 3 or 4. If anyone knows of somewhere that sells them, the info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2006 13:55:27

nhills

http://www.flamencon.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FC&Category_Code=1A
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2006 14:40:16

JBASHORUN

Muchas Gracias Nhills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2006 15:22:44

jb

Has anyone had any success ordering from elflamencovive.es as of yet? Every time I try to order it shoots me back an error code. I have tried to contact them (in english) to which I havent heard anything back. Oh well.

-JB
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2006 23:42:48

Kate

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Guest

I'll second that. They stock Emilio Maya's CD and it went in the catalogue straight away. They are good people. When I was in Madrid I went to a flamenco concert and met many local aficionados and was made very welcome. The following day I popped into Flamenco vive to say hello as we had done all our business via email only to find I recognised them all as they had all been at the gig the night before. They are dedicated flamenco lovers, I recommend a trip to their shop if you are ever in Madrid.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2006 9:27:15

orsonw

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Kate

After a few flamenco-world.com disasters (I am still waiting for a refund) I tried www.elflamencovive.es
I emailed on Wednesday asking if an item was in stock, got a reply within an hour, ordered it and it arrived in London UK Friday morning, with a free tshirt and the item was €10 less than at flamenco-world.com. They've got a large inventory and reasonable prices, good customer service. Highly recommended.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2011 15:54:25

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2011 20:48:15

XXX

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to duende

hehe, Shroomy! Gotta love necroposting...

quote:

ORIGINAL: duende
"over movable joint" Does it have a propper name in english?? please tell me.

Yes, its hyper flexible, and i have that too Ron was right, its not good.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2011 22:33:23

had a long long wait from flamenco world from a previous order so looked elsewhere...
elflamencovive was suggested here in a previous post so i emailed them asking about availabilty of the Miguel Angel Cortes encuerto dvd...
emailed back in an hour.....
hopefully will be here soon unlike the 3 month wait from flamenco world
also had a positive response from la sonanta but did'nt have the item in stock....
A

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2011 0:41:23
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote