Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

ElFlamencoVive.es   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

ElFlamencoVive.es 

I just received something in the post today from this company, which I had ordered something from a couple of months ago.
It's a quarterly catalogue, called "El Repertorio" and has 20 jam-packed pages full of brilliant Flamenco CDs/DVD/Books etc...all in full colour, with details of the tracks etc.
Wow! It's so refreshing after being used to Internet shopping , just to sit down and browse a real paper catalogue full of great stuff..all Flamenco..every page!
You could mentally clock up 1000 Euros worth of stuff you'd like even before you get halfway through!
And the prices?
Things like ..Tomatito "Aguadulce" CD...5.95 Euros
Duquende/Paco de Lucia etc "Samaruco" CD...5.95 Euros
Carmen Linares/Vincente Amigo/Tomatito/Pepe Habichuela 2 CD set "Antologia"..8.95 Euros.
Check out Flamenco-World's prices for the same albums!

Also..

Encuento Series...DVD + Book....

Gerardo Nuñez...65.95 Euros
Merengue de Cordoba....65.95 Euros
La Guitarra de Tomatito...32.95 Euros

etc..etc...

Are these guys real???

No...I'm not being paid by them to say this..
I genuinely am very enthusiastic about their approach here!

I think you can order a copy at..

www.elflamencovive.es

Order one and you'll see what I mean!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2006 20:08:19

JBASHORUN

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Ron.M

Thanks Ron,
You are right... it certainly seems very cheap- much cheaper than Flamenco-world! I think I'll take this opportunity to stock up on Nino Ricardo CDs. If anyone has ordered from EFV before, I'd be interested to know what the service was like.

Thanks,

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2006 12:42:13

I have worked with these people and they are genuine. When I produced my first cante CD I asked them if they would be interested in helping to sell it. They bought copies up front and paid directly and immediately into my bank account. When I eventually made it to the shop and introduced myself, they treated me like a brother. They are aficionados.

Another place I can recommend is Zambra in Barcelona.

Suerte

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2006 18:18:15

duende

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Guest

so it could actually an idea to send some Demos of a cd to them?
Just for fun i meen.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2006 18:44:00

JBASHORUN

Gracias, Sean. Based on that, I went ahead and placed an order.

The prices seem really impressive too!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2006 20:10:40

Ron.M

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to JBASHORUN

James,
I ordered my Amir Haddad CD through them and the service was just the same as Flamenco-Word or de-Flamenco.
The CD arrived promptly with full Internet tracking service of where your parcel is.
Great company IMO!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2006 20:14:52

JBASHORUN

Excellent range of products and good service... its almost too good to be true. But with prices like "5.95 Euros" for many CDs, its hard to understand how they make a decent profit.

Still, I'm not complaining!

Thanks,

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2006 20:24:13

Exitao

quote:

I have worked with these people and they are genuine. When I produced my first cante CD I asked them if they would be interested in helping to sell it. They bought copies up front and paid directly and immediately into my bank account. When I eventually made it to the shop and introduced myself, they treated me like a brother. They are aficionados.

Sounds more like they are amantes del flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2006 21:18:05

Hi Ron
Great company, I agree. Use them myself.

And there´s something about lying in the sofa with a real catalogue at siesta time, dream about cd´s and stuf, and then dream away ZZZZZ

BTW, I like Tomatitos Aguadulce a lot. Of the latest guitarguru CD´s (paco, vicente gerardo etc). its by far the best one (IMHO)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 8:08:20

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 13:09:44

JBASHORUN

quote:

SO, can the experts recommend any good good albums that I definetely need to get. I will get about 10 albums or so.

You have no PDL albums at all?! Wow! Well, I'm no expert, but I never get tired of PDL's "Fantasia Flamenca"- its traditional, but with no cante. By Tomatito, try "Aguadulce". I also recommend Manolo Sanlucar... try "Tauromagia" or "Recital De Flamenco". If they have it in stock, El Nino Miguel's CD is also worth a listen. If you like traditional cante, try anything by Camaron. If you prefer more modern cante, try Estrella Morente.

But its all down to personal taste, I suppose.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 13:40:11

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 14:15:42

JBASHORUN

quote:

I do not really like cante. I prefer the sound of the guitar.

Heheh, me too. But don't say that too loud. Anyway, I think you will find that you will gradually begin to appreciate some forms of cante, even if you don't like all of it.

jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 14:22:02

Miguel de Maria

Shroomy,
Get some of Paco de Lucia's albums from the 60's. They are pre-syncopation and pre-jazzy cords, and I think you will like it. His playing back then was so tight, so rhythmic, so hard! Oh, and Almoraima. To me, this was the pinnacle of pre-el Revolucion de Paco flamenco.

You may want to check out Manolo Sanlucar's early stuff, I think it was called Formas y Mundo. He was a very clean player with a distinct sound, fast and fluid.

One of the coolest albums of all time is Serranito's first album. You will hear some stuff there that will make your jaw drop! He was a monster.

That's all I can think of now...

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 14:22:35

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 14:33:44

JBASHORUN

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

You may want to check out Manolo Sanlucar's early stuff, I think it was called Formas y Mundo. He was a very clean player with a distinct sound, fast and fluid.

I have heard great things about these CDs too. They are actually called "Mundo Y Formas De La Guitarra Flamenca" Vol. 1-3. But El Flamenco Vive will not stock these- they are rare. The only place I know that sells them is amazon.co.jp:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=music-jp&field-keywords=MANOLO%20SANLUCAR/ref=xs_ap_l_xgl15/503-3199475-7774348

The price is about £10-15 per CD, and there are three CDs available in the series.

I plan to order these myself soon.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 14:39:04

JBASHORUN

quote:

2) Recital de flamenco (there are several ones, can anyone be more specific?) - Sanlucar

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0007Y3RX6/503-3199475-7774348?v=glance&n=561956

This is the Recital De Flamenco version that I have. It is available at ElFlamencoVive too. Although I'm not sure if the Mundo Y Formas CDs will be better because I don't have them yet... but I have a couple of songs from them, and they are excellent.

I believe "La Fabulosa Guitarra De PDL" was also in the 60s era, and worth getting.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 14:46:45

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 14:59:08

Ricardo

I have the complete recorded works of Ramon Montoya (guitar solo stuff of course, not accomp), a 2 CD set. The sound is not bad at all. His playing is very clean and clear.

One album of PDL overlooked that I love is "Duende Flamenco de PDL". It has a couple pieces with orchestral backing that turns off most aficionados. But it is totally worth just for the Alegrias, Rondena, Siguiriyas, Solea, and Bulerias. Some of the best solo guitar ever recorded.

I think Sabicas' Flamenco Puro has been reissued on CD recently. Highly recommend. Escudero's old stuff too is good. There is a compiled set of discs call Maestros de la guitarra flamenca, that has some great picks of the old masters. Vol 3 and 4 has Esteban de Sanlucar, one of my favorites.

Nunez "Jucal" is my favorite from him. Vicente Amigo's first album is very good "de mi corazon al aire". I like his second as well "Vivencias Imaginadas". My favorite of Tomatito is "Paseo de los Castanos".

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 15:07:41

JBASHORUN

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I think Sabicas' Flamenco Puro has been reissued on CD recently. Highly recommend.

I agree- "Flamenco Puro" is a great Sabicas CD. But I think there's a double CD available somewhere called "La Guitarra Flamenca" that has all those songs, plus a few more. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll try and find out where it was purchased from.

Here's Mundo Y Formas Vol 1:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000062VFL/503-3199475-7774348?v=glance&n=561956

Here's Mundo Y Formas Vol 2:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000062VFM/503-3199475-7774348?v=glance&n=561956

Here's Mundo Y Formas Vol 3:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000062VFN/503-3199475-7774348?v=glance&n=561956

I'm told that after adding items to your cart, you can open a window to pay in English language format, although I haven't tried it yet.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 15:24:31

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 15:40:37

Ricardo

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to Guest)1 votes

Ramon Montoya, thats the one.

To reiterate the older players you are missing. You have Nino Ricardo of course? Mario Escudero and Esteban de Sanlucar I love.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 16:08:52

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 16:59:50

Miguel de Maria

Esteban de Sanlucar has an album? I love his stuff. In fact I just bought a book of some of his pieces and an accompanying CD from a guy with so-so abilities.

Shroomy, check out Almoraima, too. That is my fav. Paco album and is damned good. Ricardo, you don't dig the Zapateado from Duende? It's kind of "pirate movie soundtrack" sounding but I love it! There is a solo version of him playing it on Youtube. Percusion Flamenca I mean.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 17:08:02

nhills

Hi!

For Niño Ricardo, you can often find "Grandes Figures du Flamenco", Vol. 11 on eBay - probably the best collection.

Esteban de Sanlucar made a solo LP, but it's a collector's item - I've seen it on Ebay, but very rarely. Perico el del Lunar made one too, but I've only seen it once.

Escudero made a number of albums - all long out of print.

For tracks from a number of the older players, try to find the "Masters of Flamenco Guitar" CDs from Hemishpere, or the "Maestros de la Guitarra Flamenca" CDs from Planet Records.

Cheers,
Norman
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 17:36:09

RE: ElFlamencoVive.es (in reply to duende

so it could actually an idea to send some Demos of a cd to them?
Just for fun i meen.

No. This is a commercial enterprise, not a benevolent foundation to help amateurs. Get your act together, produce something saleable and they might add it to stock (for a percentage, of course).

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 18:14:56

Ron.M

quote:

No. This is a commercial enterprise, not a benevolent foundation to help amateurs.

What's this thing about making CDs?

It seems every fairly advanced Flamenco student, who is just getting a grasp of this stuff, is in the process of making a CD these days
In the old days, you'd have to convince a Record Company that it was worthwhile making an investment in you, so an Agent would be sent along to look at your concerts and judge the reaction etc.
So at least there was a bit of third-party filtering.
These days anyone with a bit of computer savvy can sit in their bedroom and make a CD.
To me it's a bit like passing O Grades or a Degree...some sort of Rite of Passage??

So this "in the process of making an album" thing, puts me in mind of the 70's where every third unemployed hippy was in the process of writing a book inbetween getting stoned

(It was a good line with the girls however! )

cheers

Ron

PS Gotta go now...working on my new CD!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 20:30:26

duende

well sorry but i don´t see why the flamenco genre should be diffrent from anything other. Its comon practice to record your band (pro CD or GOOD demo.)
Then you ask your local record store to sell it.
Most record stores have a "local" section, well not the big one like fnac or virgin mega store.
Erik Steen the swedish flamenco guitarist sent all his recorded cds to el flamenco vive.
No record company or promotor involved. and belive it or not he sells.

of course im not up to his level but how knows.. If you got the songs and skill to play
all you need is money to press the cd with a full colour cover.
unless you got the tools at home you also need a little cach for some studio time.

Paco del Gastor (not Diego) even has at least 2 cds out.
his ability to play guitar is not what i call PRO. yet he is aloud to make cds.

If Todd or Ricardo would make a cd would that be bad just cause there might not be a record deal?

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 21:52:51

Ricardo

quote:

Esteban de Sanlucar has an album? I love his stuff. In fact I just bought a book of some of his pieces and an accompanying CD from a guy with so-so abilities.

Shroomy, check out Almoraima, too. That is my fav. Paco album and is damned good. Ricardo, you don't dig the Zapateado from Duende? It's kind of "pirate movie soundtrack" sounding but I love it! There is a solo version of him playing it on Youtube. Percusion Flamenca I mean.

Esteban Sanlucar's short play recording is available, as I and others mentioned, on "Maestros de la guitarra flamenca" vol 3 and 4. It is split up, 4 pieces on each CD. Amazing clean and rhythmic player for his day. He did the machine gun 4 note per beat rasgueado everyone seems to think is a "modern" technique. Planet records, as mentioned.

And I love the whole Duende disc, I am just sick of defending against aficionado's lack of ability to enjoy an album that has more than just a guitar. So I put the disclaimer and said it is worth to buy just for the 5 pieces I mentioned. But yeah the Zapateado is great. One record reviewer hated this version and praised the live Teatro Real version, saying he played more traditional, or more rhythmic, or something stupid like that, even though it was note for note the same, just no chamber ensemble. But I am starting to get tired of this politically correct explaining stuff. From now on I will say how I feel. "Duende Flamenco is good. If you dont' like it, you don't understand flamenco guitar". There simple. Ooops, I mean "IMO".

Nino Ricardo played with a dirty sound, but had really cool ideas and arpeggios and things. Some recordings I have are not the best fidelity either. But very important for study. Faucher has a good book on him too I recommend.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 22:10:16

duende

just heard a cd with Paco de lucia and Niño Ricardo playing for El Lebrijano.
I think its from 1978 or something. cool playing.
Paco is spot on. Niño Ricardo is a little here and there but good.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2006 22:25:12
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote