Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Building a Flamenco 7   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

Building a Flamenco 7 

Hola all,

Well, I thought today would be the day to box it up and glue the back on, but there is ALWAYS some little detail I've missed...

Bob walks out into the workshop, and I said; "Well, I'm about ready to put the back on, I guess..."

He looks in 'the box', and says; "Have your side braces all glued in? Did you let in the side of you back linings for the crosss braces? Did you sand the insides up to 400 to 600 grit paper"?

"uuuuuhhhhh.....nooooooooo"...

So I spent the day cutting in the braces, and sanding, sanding, sanding. My 'flamenco thumb; is sore as hell, even using soft blocks, etc...

The school of thought in Romanillos style is that the finer the finish on the insides, the more the sound is 'bounced' or projected from the wood, where a rough, scratchy finish will absord sound. Like playing inside your house, and then playing in your bathroom.... Big difference!

I saved my side braces a bit long, so once the back was aligned on-center, the cross braces sat over the sides a bit, so I took a thin pencil and blackened around each brace, so that I could cut them out pretty accurately.

There's several schools on this. Some glue the braces into the sides, then glue the back onto these and the side. I don't know...I might try this next time. You could definitely do a super-clean brace cutaway and glue-up.

Takes some time and 'eye' to shave the sides, heel, and foot, too, to dimensions, with no low spots, dips, bumps, etc., along the way. It's VERY easy to get a low spot at the waist, too, so make sure your block is long and keep the longest contact-length you can when sanding.... I also measured with a flexible steel mm rule in several areas, each side, making marks, to make sure I was pretty even side to side.

Here's the finished insides - finally...Euro spruce individual tentallones, spruce side braces, spruce on the back, and cypress backlinings.

R

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2006 3:45:21

Ramón

RE: Building a Flamenco 7 (in reply to Ramón

and the back, laying on the guitar.....

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2006 3:46:29

Ramón

The back, laid on, and ready for glue up in the morning....

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2006 3:48:28

JBASHORUN

Excellent work, Ramon! It certainly looks a lot neater than mine!

Its getting fairly close to completion... I look forward to hearing it!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2006 11:52:14

Ramón

hahahaha...I'm going to take over the flamenco guitar building world...this is only the first step!

lol....man...what a LOT of work!

But thanks for the encouragement! In the end, thought, it will be all about sounds and playability, but if I make it neat and shiny, it's like selling a used car. It may be junk, but it shore' is 'purty, and some sucker will buy it!

So today.....I glue on the top. Hope all my center lines ARE center lines!!! I'll have 'box' pictures later! Exciting but scary!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2006 15:14:35

ykabban

I can imagine the anxiety at this point. I don't think I could stomach routing out the channels for the binding . Might want to get your buddy Robert to take the first "stab". No matter how it turns out, you should never sell it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2006 16:40:27

JBASHORUN

RE: Building a Flamenco 7 (in reply to ykabban

quote:

I can imagine the anxiety at this point. I don't think I could stomach routing out the channels for the binding . Might want to get your buddy Robert to take the first "stab". No matter how it turns out, you should never sell it.

Personally, I find electronic routers very scary... switch them on an they make a loud "eeeeeeeeeeerrrr" noise... plunge them into the wood, and the noise gets worse... then bits of wood start flying everywhere... and if you're not careful, the whole router has a mind of its own!

Today I routed the channels for binding on my guitar by hand with a chisel. Its not a perfect result, but I was spared the nail-biting.

Oh, and sell your first guitar? No way, man! The first guitar you make is sacred, and should be kept for posterity to show your grand-children. And if you ever become a famous luthier later on, it will be worth a small fortune!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2006 18:04:41

Ramón

I feel the same way. Routers just scream and eat wood....I don't know. Thinking of cutting the band lines with a cutter, then routing. If anything splits, it will only go to the cut....

Think I'll practice on some junk wood....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2006 3:20:57
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post