Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Building a Flamenco Guitar - 3   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

Building a Flamenco Guitar - 3 

Whew....THIS IS HARD WORK! And I think stress adds a bit to being tired, as I am trying very hard not to re-purchase woods, measuring and remeasuring, checking and checking before cutting (and I STILL cut wrong, again, but saved it by having enough extra to re-center and reline the fretboard!).

So today, I cut the neck headplate veneers down to the square shape of the head, then used a fine Japanese backsaw to cut the slot for the nut at the head. Used a 'guide' to make sure the blade was 90° on the cut. That came out really good.

Finished, I then set up a table and jig to route a track down the center on the neck, what will be under the fretboard, to lay a hidden carbonfibre rod (all the truss rod talk). I like this idea better than a visible ebony strip, as it is a bit lighter, and it's hidden inside. I like this 'cleaner' look to a flamenco neck, without the worry of it bending up, or lots of added weight.

I begin on the fretboard. I squared my ends, and joined one side to have a clean, level side to measure from. Laid center, then my lines from the plan; 54mm at the nut, about 63.5mm (2 1/2") at the 12th. Checked my measurements, and then used a plexiglass jig from LMII.com on the table saw with a fretsaw blade. It's actually about standard blade thickness, and right before the teeth, it fines out to fretwire thickness. This keeps the blade stiff and strong, without wobble, but gives a perfect fret cut.

Used the 655mm scale from the plan, laid my finished fretboard on the plan....EXACT! Yes!...(whew...It's not so much buying a new piece if I had to...It just would be having to do it over; thickness sand, setups, cuts, etc)!

I then epoxy'd the track, fit the carbon strip in, cut about 3-4mm short, to allow the epoxy and air to escape one side. After I squeezed out the excess, I laid a cedar veneer over the top to level it to the neck. Bob does this, because sanding the carbon is like black coal dust, and it "gets just everywhere", he says. Bob came over with an old credit card and ran the top of excess epoxy, nice and clean.

Doesn't sound like much was done, but it's rather exacting work. Here's a pic of today's efforts, laid on top of the Reyes plans...The pic is a bit hard to see, but for my efforts, the lines and cuts are EXACT to the plans... I need a beer!

Cheers

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2006 1:00:41

henrym3483

RE: Building a Flamenco Guitar - 3 (in reply to Ramón

ramon,

where would you be able to get diagrams for building guitars?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2006 11:33:48

JBASHORUN

Nice work, Ramon! I am working on my neck at the moment too. I was going to use sapele wood strips instead of a truss rod, but I like the idea of a carbonfibre strip. May I ask where you can buy suitable carbonfibre material from, and if theres any particular type to look for?

Thanks!

James
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2006 21:57:37

Ramón

Hola all,

Most of the items are available at:

http://www.lmii.com/

Here's the page with the carbon. I believe GR1 is what I used:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Truss+Rods%2FNeck+Parts&NameProdHeader=Graphite+Neck+Reinforcements

Also, read Courtenal's book, too. Already have read through 4 others. Just re-read as I come upon the next process...

Plans are available here at Luthier's Guild:

http://www.luth.org/plans/bp.htm

The Barbero plans are MUCH MORE COMPLETE. Kind of surprised at the lack of some details on the Reyes, but I wanted to build something a bit different...

Bending side today, and cut the side-slots into the neck. Also, rough-cut the outline to the neck and headstock... More later...

Here's a shot from yesterday, using LMII's fingerboard slot gauge. One side has 640, the other, 655, which is my scale on these plans.

Gracias to all...

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2006 1:28:40
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message