Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Blanca vs Negra blind test for everyone!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

Blanca vs Negra blind test for everyone! 

The eye will bias this test so STOP!!!!!

DON’T CLICK ON THE VIDEO YET. Look AWAY from the screen or have another person push play for you and listen OBJECTIVELY to the examples and be freaking HONEST WITH YOURSELF!

After you go through the whole video with that mental picture you have created, go back and watch the whole thing again. If you don’t literally laugh out loud then you are either super human or are being dishonest with yourself. Trust me I just double checked with myself by doing this same test.

To be fair, I did “guess right” sometimes, but it was honestly a guess.

And if you like, another fun one, same idea:

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2024 12:47:23

Manitas de Lata

RE: Blanca vs Negra blind test for e... (in reply to Ricardo

little diference , more difference in the Zapateado, didnt enjoy that much the negra that seems a softer version of the other.

The Conde sounds nicer that the cheap , in my opinion not a 5500k diference in the sound
The cheaper sounds similar to mine (that sounds nicer) , not to much difference to mine really
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2024 19:19:20

orsonw

I am not superhuman but I could hear the difference between the negra and blanca about 60% of the time. It was obviously switching back and forth frequently and I couldn't keep track. The rasgeo and ligado and pulgar are more obvious e.g. at 30sec it was clearly changing from negra to blanca.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2024 20:04:47

Morante

RE: Blanca vs Negra blind test for e... (in reply to orsonw

What this test demonstrates clearly is that a guitar cannot be judged by a recording replayed on internet. None of the guitars sound good: the negra not even flamenca, the 5000 blanca sounds like a cheapie from Valencia.

I am certain that listening to them en directo would be quite another story.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2024 10:58:24

estebanana

RE: Blanca vs Negra blind test for e... (in reply to Morante

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morante

What this test demonstrates clearly is that a guitar cannot be judged by a recording replayed on internet. None of the guitars sound good: the negra not even flamenca, the 5000 blanca sounds like a cheapie from Valencia.

I am certain

that listening to them en directo would be quite another story.

Ole’ verdad

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2024 11:02:43

Manitas de Lata

you need to get good headphones or speakers
they sound good , conde even better , in my opinion not a 5500k sound diference

regarding the Negra i think maybe the wood isnt mature enough , the sound its very "closed" maybe it will open in 2 or 3 years
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2024 14:30:11

Morante

RE: Blanca vs Negra blind test for e... (in reply to Manitas de Lata

¿Wow! Un experto
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2024 16:08:29

Manitas de Lata

esperto

i say that because i first listen with the laptop speakers and wasnt great , after i listen with medium quality headphones and it was much better and diferent
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2024 17:41:31

Morante

RE: Blanca vs Negra blind test for e... (in reply to Manitas de Lata

quote:

you need to get good headphones or speakers

You do not know what quality of speakers people have.

(quote) regarding the Negra i think maybe the wood isnt mature enough(quote)

What really impresses me is your knowledge of wood maturity
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2024 0:17:52

estebanana

Saucy tangos falsetas in the first video

The second video I could hear instantly which as 500€ vs the other - the cheap guitar was noisy and not focused, confusing high partial stuff. The expensive one has a bass / midrange core sound that is clearer.

To me it’s not whether the guitar has a Blanca or Negra quality, it’s whether or not what I hear what I call ‘the core’ sound is clear without excessive partial presence, but enough to make it sound interesting. To me there’s a window for this sort of framing of the sound quality. If it’s too far either way outside the window I hear as compelling, then it’s not a guitar I care for.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2024 3:38:59

Manitas de Lata

some guitars have contain sound due to lack of maturity and the constrution for itself , i saw some transform in 3 years... its an enormous diference , a difference that can lead you to have the guitar or not... thats why some makers dont sell some guitars right away , similar to some wine... when the producer just put ready to consume wine rather than wine thats no prepared and people might trash it mouth to mouth (like we do here... )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2024 11:17:26

Echi

I spot the differences quite easily. I for one prefer the blancas.
Luciano used to play that Lester are Voe or negra for a while before deciding to pass to a blanca. He bought that Conde Hermanos Felipe V A26 and then a Reyes. The Reyes suits better his music as he takes inspiration from the style of Vicente Amigo.
The 2 guitars of this video are for sure “mature” whatever you mean with that.
The topic is controversial but more than age I’d be interested to know if the guitar has been well played.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2024 15:34:59

devilhand

RE: Blanca vs Negra blind test for e... (in reply to Echi

The only thing that counts is the technique. I dont really get the long discussion about guitars on the foro. A 1000-1500€ solid top guitar is enough.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2024 18:12:07

Piwin

OK, you've made your point. Maybe I can't tell the difference between black and white. But I draw the line at orange. I'm sure I can tell when it's orange.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2024 18:41:24

Morante

RE: Blanca vs Negra blind test for e... (in reply to devilhand

quote:

The only thing that counts is the technique. I dont really get the long discussion about guitars on the foro. A 1000-1500€ solid top guitar is enough.

Quite right. The last time I played for Rancapino, the only guitar available was for beach parties. It didn´t matter to Alonso and it didn´t matter to me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2024 22:35:01

elias

I absolutely love Luciano's old Devoe negra (I believe it was made in 1990) and I'm a little sad that he no longer has it even though he does have a nice Reyes now. To me his version of Ventanas al Alma is superior to the original and I love the original very much.

Blanca vs negra was easy to distinguish but cheap vs expensive blanca was more difficult. To me they sounded different, not clearly better or worse. And I'd agree that technique goes very far. I'd go so far as to say maybe the reason why rasgueados don't sound good on classical guitars is because classical guitarists have weak technique and can't bring out good tone from a guitar...yes I went there.

Here Luciano is playing a relatively affordable Graciliano and I think it has a lot of charm but his Reyes has more clarity and pop. Excellent music can be made on cheap-ish guitars.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2024 23:28:50

Manitas de Lata

i would like to see modern flamenco playing with a more traditional flamenco guitar

all of these guys seem to play modern flamenco with modern flamenco guitars , great to see other stuff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2024 16:17:29

Ricardo

Wow, so I was thinking people could tell WITHOUT LOOKING, were superhuman. I guess since everyone had it so easy I must be completely TONE DEAF.

Shame on me for giving any advice regarding the SOUND of anything over the years. I guess it will be best to NEVER listen to my opinion since I can only tell the difference with my eyes.

Reminds me of that rhythm test where everyone had better timing than I did.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2024 17:36:25

etta

Guess I got lucky; while in Spain several years ago I went to a "big name" shop and played the high end guitars; not very impressive. Asked about the one hanging in the back, played it, cheap, "Valencia" type, and was amazed. Brought it home to the states. It plays well, sounds very respectable and is my quick practice guitar for the porch or camping. Yes, we all know that the curve of quality does not always follow price.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2024 11:58:22

Manitas de Lata

RE: Blanca vs Negra blind test for e... (in reply to etta

heres Juan De Dios trying some

note: hes sponsered by Conde Atocha

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2024 15:07:32
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages