Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Building a flamenco guitar guitar - The Journal   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

Building a flamenco guitar guitar - ... 

Hola all,

Got asked if I would keep a record of my endeavour on my first flamenco guitar, so, hoping I don't bore all of you to death.....

This is the very beginning, with the wood just arriving. Shot some pics of what I got, and will build from the Manuel Reyes plans. I dropped off the woods at luthier Bob Hein's house, and he suggested I set the wood out on small slats to air a bit more for the next week.

LMII did not have my fretboard in stock, and my Macassar bindings, headplate wood, and bridge (from another wood place), seem to have gotten lost ...Checking on that.

The pictures are, L to R, top to bottom:

Master Grade Euro Spruce w/ rosette
Rosette (Russian - but I might yet still make my own...)
1A Cypress back ( I liked that 1A had more figuring)
Macassar Ebony headplate (the lost one)
Cedar woods for neck. I'm told I got lucky, as the grains are quite straight..
(Many thanks to 'Jeff' at LMII for selecting nice stuff!)

I'm swamped right now; taxes, work, an upcoming trip (and most importantly, playing!), etc., so the journal/build will be slow in posting/progress, and I am going to make every effort to build a great instrument, right out of the gate, so time is NOT of the essence.

And just thought I'd mention this to anyone who might be interested (Apologies to Anders, as shipping a guitar from Europe to the US can run around $350!)...Robert Hein, the builder here who is teaching me, has just finished a stunning 1A Flamenco guitar, which will go into The Blue Guitar in San Diego. Yuris Zeltsin's (recognize the name?) praises Bob's guitars for their workmanship, attention to detail, tone, and playability. The guitar is available from Bob at around $2800, if anyone is interested in more info:

http://robertheinguitars.com

So that's it for now...Just thought I'd share!

Ramón

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2006 1:43:20

Francisco

RE: Building a flamenco guitar guita... (in reply to Ramón

That's awesome, Ramón. I can't wait to see the end product. I get the sense that this is going to be one of those seminal threads for me, as I'm starting to feel the bite of the luthiery bug. Very similar to a post I came across over at GSI that really started me on the track to learning flamenco about 10 months ago or so. Looking foward to the updates, amigo.

Saludos
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2006 3:13:35
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote