Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

custom made flamenco guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rafapak

custom made flamenco guitars 

i have small hands. regular flamenco guitars have pretty wide fretboards. do you think luthiers sometimes built guitars with narrower fretboards for people with small hands or they usually build guitars with regular wide fretboards ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2023 22:54:50

mark indigo

RE: custom made flamenco guitars (in reply to rafapak

ask 'em! most actual luthiers will do all sorts of custom builds if asked

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2023 23:02:12

Richard Jernigan

Many virtuoso flamenco pros have, or have had small hands. Sabicas was a case in point.

Often steel string players complain about the width of classical or flamenco fretboards. (I’m not saying this applies to you, it’s just what I have observed.) Left hand technique for classical and flamenco differs from that for a narrow neck steel string, and can be learned.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 3:08:59

estebanana

It’s possible to narrow the neck width of most guitars. Making them wider is a different matter.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 4:06:09

RobF

Quite a few years ago, when I was taking Flamenco guitar lessons in Granada, I met a student who had a really nice Negra flamenco guitar made by John Ray, who’s a member here (johnguitar). I’m pretty sure it was a shorter scale (645mm?) and the student said he had bought it because he had small hands and it had a narrower nut (John could confirm if he’s done this). It was a beautiful guitar, very light, nicely balanced, and quite pretty.

John’s already posted on your thread asking about Granada makers, and has his shop in the Realejo district of Granada (at the foot of the Alhambra). Maybe fill a suitcase with money and pay him a visit while you’re there on your quest. He’s a seriously good guitar maker.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 5:26:56

rafapak

thanks for replies
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 10:46:07

Echi

I used to own a flamenco guitar made by Felix Manzanero in 2002.
That guitar had an extremely comfortable and narrow fretboard. I am sure any luthier can help you with that.
A feature someone likes is also a compound radius fretboard.
I for one find quite comfortable the standard flat fretboard, and notice few difference from my guitars with 664 mm scale and 655 mm scale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 15:21:51

mark indigo

quote:

i have small hands. regular flamenco guitars have pretty wide fretboards. do you think luthiers sometimes built guitars with narrower fretboards for people with small hands or they usually build guitars with regular wide fretboards ?

I wonder about the other way round, a steel string acoustic guitar with a wide neck and fretboard like a Spanish (classical or flamenco) nylon/gut string guitar? Does anyone play one of these? Would anyone want a guitar like this?

(I actually have a guitar like this that I'd like to sell but have no idea where to try to sell it, so if anyone knows I would appreciate advice - if anyone is interested I could offer it in the classifieds here...)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 18:48:29

silddx

Esperanza Spalding manages an upright bass, if that helps you with any concerns.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 21:23:00

davewphx

True, and shes an incredible talent.

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 21:25:50

silddx

Also this ...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2023 21:44:17

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rafapak

I have small hands. The tapering narrow cross over guitars designed for guys transitioning slowly from electric guitar, are VERY hard to play. I never understood why they make those cheaper student guitars with that tapering. Any wide neck concert level guitar feels much smoother, it has to do with right hand too. My opinion is you have it exactly backwards.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2023 13:34:41

johnguitar

RE: custom made flamenco guitars (in reply to RobF

Thanks you for the kind words Rob. Yes, I sometimes make a 50mm nut and on copies of historical instruments the original can even have a 48mm nut. However, there is no law that says that a short scale has to have a narrow nut. Spacing at the bridge can vary too but usually that too is independent of the other measurements used. Unless someone specifically asks though I stick to 51 or 52 at the nut.

John Ray
https://www.johnguitar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2023 16:23:31
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll