Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Not another $200-$200k Guitar Vid   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Echi

RE: Not another $200-$200k Guitar Vid (in reply to JasonM

Ricardo has a point: if you listen to the last part of the video (the direct comparison) while reading the comments, the differences between the guitars are less evident than when you watch the video: there is a obvious bias as you are helping your ears with your eyes.
Nonetheless, imho the problem is the recording. Any recording.

When you play in a room, you get the tone in a 3d environement, which means the sound waves projects ahead and bounce back.
Some guitars are stronger in certain registers than other guitars, some give a more compressed tone etc, with the result in a live session you perceive that some guitars are just better. I remember again the first time I was trying some guitars at Luthiers in NYC with direct comparison with my own guitar: it was eye opening and yet the recording with my phone was just very poor.
As a player, you get a certain kind of feedback (particularly on the "bass frequencies" or in the overtones, which is just different than the listener's; your perception is also helped by the vibrations of the strings under your fingers or the guitar's back on your belly..
In other words: a recording is just unfit to fully reproduce what a player (or even a listener few meters from you) would perceive in a live session.
I wouldn't spend 200.000 $ and probably not even 20.000$ for a guitar, but I understand where the money goes. As Rob suggests, it would be more interesting a comparison between cheaper guitars, maybe priced between the 3000-7000 $range
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2022 13:51:33

Tom Blackshear

RE: Not another $200-$200k Guitar Vid (in reply to Echi

quote:

As Rob suggests, it would be more interesting a comparison between cheaper guitars, maybe priced between the 3000-7000 $range

Would you be interested in a fine guitar for about $8,900?

This is not asking you to buy one, as Dan Zeff just recently sold one of my 1997 Miguel Rodriguez styles for that price, which was an enormous deal for the customer;........ as if I were to build that guitar today, the price would be close to $20,000.

The reason I'm asking is that my association with my apprentice is giving me some ideas, perhaps how to do a small shop set up for a limited amount of guitars a year. (something like an Arcangel Fernandez operation with his apprentices) but smaller.

So, any feed back would be helpful to me.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2022 20:43:03

Echi

Well, I am not in the market at the moment.
I meant that a comparison between a range of more affordable guitars Would be of better use.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2022 23:38:01

Brendan

quote:

When I think of a stereotype classical guitarist , this guy Brandon comes to mind lol!

He used to play in a metal band called Tárregeddon and still shreds occasionally. Apparently his tattoos are awesome.

https://sites.google.com/site/obscureflamencology/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2022 10:58:17

JasonM

RE: Not another $200-$200k Guitar Vid (in reply to Brendan

This was kinda fun.

That Richard Brune guitar sounded so beautiful. Should have gone against the Friedrich
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2023 16:09:46

Ricardo

Obviously the big win here is the Yamaha $300….the most underrated guitar in human history.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2023 17:52:44

estebanana

This video is actually interesting.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2023 0:32:17

estebanana

quote:

That Richard Brune guitar sounded so beautiful. Should have gone against the Friedrich

You shouldn’t pit titans against one another, it portends of madness and savagery. We could all be be undone by the release of raw energy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2023 16:43:06

orsonw

M.Brune video Guess The Wood! Blindf... (in reply to JasonM

Guess The Wood! Blindfolded GUITAR Challenge

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2023 10:53:01

Firefrets

I thought the guitars in the 200-200,000 sounded ok, but those price tags have nothing to do with the sound, let's be honest, and everything to do with the maker. There are great sounding guitars out there that don't come with a fancy label.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2023 6:59:42

estebanana

RE: Not another $200-$200k Guitar Vid (in reply to Firefrets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Firefrets

I thought the guitars in the 200-200,000 sounded ok, but those price tags have nothing to do with the sound, let's be honest, and everything to do with the maker. There are great sounding guitars out there that don't come with a fancy label.

I’m kind of getting weary of these challenges, just give me some thumb heavy, rest stroke thumping old dude with backwards rasgueado playing flamenco on them. Dare I say Brandon’s opinions about the sound and fury don’t speak for everyone, and he’s a bit too clever ….

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2023 7:42:52

Ricardo

RE: Not another $200-$200k Guitar Vid (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Firefrets

I’m kind of getting weary of these challenges, just give me some thumb heavy, rest stroke thumping old dude with backwards rasgueado playing flamenco on them. Dare I say Brandon’s opinions about the sound and fury don’t speak for everyone, and he’s a bit too clever ….

Guess correct answers is the least interesting part for me. It is only educational when they get it wrong (like that one with the Yamaha). I have already blind tested myself and I can’t tell apart any guitar from my own collection, only “guess” correctly by accident, if I am being honest, and that is what is going on here. The other senses are involved in the price tag, and they influence the ear more than anything.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2023 15:28:29

Firefrets

RE: Not another $200-$200k Guitar Vid (in reply to estebanana

I've about 70 instruments in my collection. If I recorded them all, I wonder how many times Mr Bruyne would guess which was which. If he got 10 right, I'd be amazed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2023 8:13:43
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post