Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

A comprehensive study of Allan Holdsworths improvisational ideas, patterns, scales, charts & tunings   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Pgh_flamenco

A comprehensive study of Allan Holds... 

A YouTube user named TurrigenousOfficial spent 19 months going over Holdsworth’s recordings and his analysis is eye opening. The video he uploaded a few days ago is over five hours long and is bookmarked by topic in the description. I’ve never seen anything like it. Enjoy!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2022 3:08:27

Ricardo

RE: A comprehensive study of Allan H... (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

I watched it. Very well done, lots of work and aficion for the guy. I was never a huge fan but admit I was always impressed. I did have a book about him from the 80’s that was interesting but I never studied it deeply. I liked the mystery in his playing, it was clear he was different, and that was always impressive. Now that this guy has revealed those 3note jumping patterns, the mystery is totally gone for me. In every example I literally hear the symmetry in his fingering. Without the mystery it is now boring to me. I guess every player has their go to licks and once you recognize them you can predict them and once a musician is predictable, they quickly get boring. At least with “soloing” or improvisation. Unless of course they tease you and use that predictability as a form of desired expectation. Then it is interesting again.

Here is an example, maybe boring to folks. Only lydian licks for 15 minutes, but this one spot really grabs me, and it is full of just his typical go to things..in context it is very exciting to me. At 11:13.

I deciphered the thing here, and I still love it.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2022 19:34:00

TrickyFish

RE: A comprehensive study of Allan H... (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

What a crazy effort! I skimmed some of the 5 hours, but its not my style of music / not my cup of tea.

I question whether this effort was worth it. Or would his time be better spent on other areas of focus? Curious to hear what others think of this.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2022 10:20:18

devilhand

RE: A comprehensive study of Allan H... (in reply to TrickyFish

Definitely something for Holdsworth's hardcore fans. Obvisously he didn't do this in one take. I think many separate videos are merged into a big 5 hour video. It's Holdsworth's way of looking at scales and improvisation. One of many. Everyone can come up with their own concept.

quote:

Or would his time be better spent on other areas of focus?

I'd rather learn to improvise like her and play it on guitar. No need to study scales extensively.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2022 20:51:31
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote