Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

ABALONE INLAYS   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

JBASHORUN

ABALONE INLAYS 

Has anyone ever used abalone in one of their guitars? maybe for the rosette, binding or headstock crest? I am considering doing an abalone inlay on my first guitar, but I'm not sure if it "fits in" with Flamenco guitars?

Any suggestions?

Jb

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2006 19:06:57

Armando

RE: ABALONE INLAYS (in reply to JBASHORUN

Hi JBASHORUN

Abalone is nice, but mostly used on western steelstrings and some electric or semi accoustic Gibson alike guitars.
Some spanish makers such as Miguel Rodriguez and Pedro Maldonado have used mother of pearl for their rosettes and tieblock inlays. Actually you are free to be the first to use abalone, but it would not be traditional. Some people even say, that mother of pearl has a negative impact on the sound of the guitar. I doubt that this is true as the quantity used is little and it's not used in places where a certain material is essential.

Armando
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2006 19:59:13

go ahead James and be creative. My own rosettes are not traditional. I like to work wood, but thats my taste. If you like abelone, go for it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2006 7:17:43

Gecko

There is a noted luthier here in New Mexico who does a lot of it. Here are some of his designs etc that might give you some ideas. They also use a variety of other materials, like turquoise and semi-precious stone. Just a New Mexico thing I guess.

I agree with Anders. Make it your own creation! If I could find someone to do it I would have my Avatar put on a headstock and to he** with what other people may think.

Pimentel
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2006 10:59:18

JBASHORUN

Thanks everyone. I think I'll try and do a small abalone crest on the headstock, depending whether I can get hold of a router.

Cheers,

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2006 13:49:33

jshelton5040

Try not to breath the dust from abalone or mother of pearl. It's definitely not good for you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2006 22:21:02
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post