Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Luthier's first flamenco guitar vs. production model   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Morante

RE: Luthier's first flamenco guitar ... (in reply to Robzoid

At the end of the day, what did you decide?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2021 15:49:16

estebanana

RE: Luthier's first flamenco guitar ... (in reply to ernandez R

quote:

clearer description of the doming.

I like the Reyes plan but my suggestion goes for the Santos plan drafted by David Merrin or for the Barbero plan.

Echi,

Can you tell me where to get a copy of the Santos drawn by Merrin? And why do you like this one in particular?

And the Barbero plan, do you mean the one I mentioned drawn by Brune from GAL or another?

Thanx,

Don’t you think this is a bit hasty? If you drew a plan from an actual flamenco guitar, or followed one drawn by someone else you’d put yourself in danger of actually building one.

I’ve mentioned this before but it can’t be repeated enough-

The great drawing of the Barbero by Brune’ is a bit larger in plantilla, but virtually identical to Keni Parkers 1920 Santos in terms of bracing pattern.

Gene Clark had the back off of the Santos in 1997, I saw it several times in that state while he added a slightly wider back strip as a remedy for some lengthwise cracking in the center of the back. At the time I had not come to the conclusion they were similar because I did not have that issue of the GAL publication in which Brune’ published the Barbero plan, but later put the two together from a partial photo from the interior of the Santos. I don’t think anyone else would have known this because Gene, Keni and myself are the only ones who saw the 1920 Santos with the back taken off. (Notwithstanding the idea that everyone who was interested in Barbero and Santos knew that Marcelo was intimate with Santos’ work, but my latter day observation sealed a part of the story for me from things I could personally reference.)

The Barbero 1951 plan was published in 1998, but I didn’t get to making a comparison until much later around 2014 when I had two GAL copies out for study. One was the issue with the Barbero - AL #55 1998 and the other was AL #65 2001with the profile of Gene Clark. This supplement has a photo of the 1920 Santos on the cover. I brought six of so GAL publications to Japan in my shop library as references and to remember certain people written about in those editions. By the chance that these two were being out together, plus my memory of the 1920 Santos I investigated the similarities between the 51’ Barbero plan and photos of the Santos. They line up and I firmly think Barbero got his bracing by direct observations of unfinished Santos guitars from possibly earlier in Santos career.

My conclusion is that Barbero used Santos’ ribs, but he added extra spicy sauce and that’s why his guitars are so good. Texas will disagree, but they don’t know diddley squat about sauce.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2021 1:36:18

ernandez R

RE: Luthier's first flamenco guitar ... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Don’t you think this is a bit hasty? If you drew a plan from an actual flamenco guitar, or followed one drawn by someone else you’d put yourself in danger of actually building one.

Baby steps brother, baby steps...

HR

Forgot to add, I ordered the relevant Red Books etc for all three drawings. Lot of spring chores that hadn't been done for over a year with m foot fed up so I'm out of the shop for a couple weeks, destroyed my fingernails so I sound like a scratchy record at best in the strings... and for dogs sake lets not talk about BBQ or cheese ;)

I prefer my flamenco guitar spicy,
doesn't have to be fast,
should have some meat on the bones,
can be raw or well done,
as long as it doesn't sound like it's turning green on an elevator floor.

www.instagram.com/threeriversguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2021 9:11:04
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote