Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Fretboard too thin?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mango

Fretboard too thin? 

Hey Guys! I just put the fretboard on my second guitar. The piece of ebony I used was a bit thinner than last time... I planed it down to receive my desired string action at the bridge, but now it is only 4.5mm thick at the nut (treble side... 5mm at the bass). Do you think this is too thin? Will I loose too much stiffness and end up with a bowed neck after a year of string pull?

hope all of you are fine... greets!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2021 8:43:14

Echi

RE: Fretboard too thin? (in reply to mango

Is the neck reinforced or plain?
It’s not ideal, but I must say regularly play a 40 years old Ramirez with that same fretboard thickness and the neck it’s perfectly stable.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2021 9:01:01

mango

No reinforcement...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2021 9:08:06

RobF

Hi Mango, hope you’re doing well, too. 4.5mm for the fretboard is OK. As Echi says, it might not be ideal, but it’s not unheard of, and isn’t wrong, nobody’s going to call you on it.

More importantly, how deep is the neck at the first and tenth*, including the fretboard?

Without reinforcement, a rule of thumb of 22.5mm at the first to 24mm or so at the tenth and you’re probably going to be just fine. But that’s a broad statement without knowing the wood. Thinner might be a cause for concern. If it’s good stiff Cedro you might be OK, though. Mahogany, almost certainly so. Running under 22 would be more comfortable if reinforced, but again, these are broad statements.

Under 21.5, and especially under 21, and you might want to consider corrective action, because that’s getting pretty thin. Even if reinforced, that’s getting lean.

Of course, just my opinion, but not offered without the benefit of some experience. If you haven’t started carving the neck yet, just stick to the rule of thumb and you should be OK.

*edit* correction - the heel end measurement should be taken at the point where the heel carve merges with the neck proper. That would be more like between the eighth and ninth, rather than the tenth.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2021 10:31:33

mango

Thank you I will give this one a chance... planing the whole thing off seems to be more work than building a new guitar ;-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2021 19:17:26

johnguitar

Ebony doesn't really add much stiffness to the neck, it is very hard but not stiff and stable like cedar. Actually the more cedar you have proportionally to the overall thickness the stiffer the neck will be. Stiffness also comes from the glue joint between the two.

John Ray
https://www.johnguitar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2021 19:18:57

mango

RE: Fretboard too thin? (in reply to johnguitar

I think I don't understand... when I google the flexural rigidity from both woods I get something like 100-120 N/mm^2 for Ebony and 55 N/mm^2 for Cedar. To me this sounds like ebony adds more against being bent... not right?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2021 19:39:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post