Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Navarro: Santos vs Conde   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Haltaqi

Navarro: Santos vs Conde 

Hello everyone. While looking for a new flamenco guitar to buy, I've run into a few Marlon Navarro guitars student model.
However, I found one that was priced at 1,200$ which was Conde based, and 2 Santos based which were at 1,400$ and ~1,870$.
Now, I'm wondering what's the difference between a Conde Hermanos and a Santos Hernandez bracing patterns in general. Is it much of a difference in sound and tone? Is the price difference worth the jump?
I listened to some Conde and Santos flamenco guitars on YouTube and I noticed Conde tended to be sweet and warm while Santos were sharp and percussive.

Thanks~
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2019 1:40:45

JasonM

RE: Navarro: Santos vs Conde (in reply to Haltaqi

Ive never played a Navarro but would be curious to hear from someone who has been able to compare these models. But frankly, I would not put much stock in either of these models actually sounding like a Conde or a santos. The Reyes model doesn’t sound very Reyes to me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2019 16:16:28

Echi

You see, I presume they are not exact copies of Santos and Conde being student guitars.
I presume the Santos model refers to a traditional flamenco blanca and therefore a light percussive instrument with a open fan bracing, while the Conde model probably it's a bolder guitar made with a stiffer box.
Usually the studio guitars tend to be overbuild on their own and therefore in this case I'd go for the Santos model.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2019 16:23:56

Haltaqi

Thanks for the info!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2019 17:34:32

Tom Blackshear

The Santos style is a much earlier model from Francisco Navarro and the Conde style is from his son's model, again from a much earlier Conde model.

The 2003 Reyes style is Francisco's current model and has a decided effect from the other two models.

Since Francisco's battle with cancer, I'm not at all sure if he is building any of these models personally.

But the up side to this is that the guitars are relatively inexpensive and a good buy if you find a nice one, since guitars of this price line are not usually built of solid wood.

Poncho is a good builder and there is no reason for him not to produce good work.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2019 14:32:30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote