Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Petenera?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

XXX

Petenera? 

Does anyone has more info or stuff about this palo he wants to share? Any recommendations of good renditions?

Has PdL made any Peteneras? I listened to one Petenera of Camaron, maybe PdL was on the guitar, but I didnt like it. With cante the rythm stretches and the guitar goes in the background. I think I prefer dance versions...

Its terribly unknown and underrated

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2006 16:16:23

frhout

RE: Petenera? (in reply to XXX

One of the most beautiful is Leyenda by Paco Pena. It can be found at www.affedis.com.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2006 16:45:17

Miguel de Maria

There are many more knowledgeable than me about this, but I heard that it was only to be played at gypsy weddings. Supposedly it's bad luck to play it at any other time and some people take it very seriously!

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2006 18:03:49

Mark2

RE: Petenera? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

It's true about the "bad luck", but that may have been more in the past. Mariano Cordoba told me that a gypsy asked him to stop playing it once, when he was practicing. That was probably in the 1950's. It's one palo that's supposed to have some jewish background, and one of the verses refers to a jewish girl. Same compas as Guarjiras.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2006 18:13:54

Mark2

RE: Petenera? (in reply to Mark2

More details are coming back to me-apparantly, a dancer droppped dead while performing penteneras, which led to the superstition, and if I'm not mistaken, another death may have been involved in a later perfomance. Also, there is some tradgedy in the story in the copla as well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2006 18:19:10

XXX

Ok, I think with the bad luck would not be a big problem in germany.
Same compas as Guajiara you mean? I dont know. Ok it has 12 beats, but there are almost only single strokes per beat and no off beats at all. I cant see much in common. Btw I listened to the main compas in the Graf Martinez DVD, which is

12___3___6 7 8 9 10 11
Am - E7 - Am

12__3___6 7 8 9 10 11
G - F - E

I mean its just great. Its so simple, Am-G-F-E, we heard this so often, but in petenera these chords are having a value. Same as Fandangos, but complete different feeling. It sounds neither sad nor happy, its like pure melancholy

Btw. I have found some (strange) songs that are called peteneras, but I dont know if they are flamenco. They sound more like Latin style, with ... men singing in women octaves

...Ok now I hear the wedding in there

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2006 18:32:30

Thomas Whiteley

quote:

Does anyone has more info or stuff about this palo he wants to share? Any recommendations of good renditions?

Try the one by Juan Serrano. It is for four guitars and is great!

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2006 20:05:24

Mark2

yeah,
it is the same compas with different chords in a different key. Listen to one right after the other and you'll hear it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2006 3:49:44

Crows

Try Nina de los Peines, great Peteneras, Ramon Montoya on guitar too!

Andy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2006 7:15:16

Jim Opfer

Petenera is said to have been a Seville 'Lady' that when she died, the streets were not wide enough for all the men she'd known to see her funeral. There were songs sung about her after her death and these were simply named, 'Petereras'.

The compas is similar to Guajiras but slow and melancholy.

Paco Pena plays a beautiful Petenera on Azahara called 'Cancion' this comes from a song with words by Lorca.

A few of us have tried it with uploads to Foro, have a listen.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2006 12:33:01

Paleto

From Andrés Batista's book: Manual Flamenco:

Peteneras - There are various hypotheses as to origin of Peteneras.
1 That it bore some resemblance to "Punto de la Habana" and appeared in the port of Cádiz in a flamencofied form.
2 That it was a ritual or religious chant from synagogues of the Sephardic Jews.
3 That it was first sung by a beautiful flamenco cantaora from the villagge of Paterna (in the province of either Cádiz or Almería), who would thus be known as the "Paternera". With the passing of time "Paternera" has become corrupted into "Petenera".

Musically, it seems to be related to some "Villanescas" of the 16th century, although it also shows signs of similarity with the melodies of "Paño Moruno".
Peteneras exist in different varieties: "Antigua", "Moderna", "Corta", "Larga", but all of them display the same melancholic lyricism.
It was Pastora Pavón "La Niña de los Peines" who first popularized this style, to which she added various features and nuances of her own.
The time signature is 6/8, 3/4, the key minor finishing on the dominant (Dorian mode) with combinations of major chords.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2006 12:48:33

John O.

quote:

I cant see much in common.

Depends on how you look at it. Petenera is from the Soleá family and Guajira is originally Latin American. Interesting though is they're both played accented the same

Guajira E7x3, E7x3, Ax2, Ax2, Ax2, E7x3, E7x3, Ax2, Ax2, Ax2
Penetera Dmx3, Amx3, Dmx2, Dmx2, Dmx2, Cx3, A#x3, Amx2, Amx2, Amx2

You could say Bulería, Soleá, Alegría, even Seguiriya (although starting on the 8) are the same and technically be right.

John
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2006 12:51:27

gerundino63

I Put the tab from the petenera " Cancion" from Paco Pena up in the -flamenco tabs- section

all the best and good luck!

You will need it, Petenera brings bad luck........hahahah

Peter.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2006 14:03:17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message