Foro Flamenco
Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.
This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira and Philip John Lee who went ahead of us too soon.
We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Flamenco popularity (or lack thereof)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Morante

RE: Flamenco popularity (or lack the... (in reply to tele

quote:

this is unbelievable

Not so; JW is quite right. I know quite a number of flamencos with house and car, who live well.

The downside is that they have to work with dancers and travel constantly, which does not help family life.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2017 11:58:33

mark indigo

RE: Flamenco popularity (or lack the... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Certainly, I saw lots of baile just don't recall them with Jose although, upon reflection, there may have been one with Chocolate with him singing from the wings.

Looking back over some old programmes I can see that not all shows have featured dance, even though it's still mainly a dance programme. Most of the shows are by a main dancer (eg. Sara Baras, Eva Yerbabuena, Farruquito etc.) or dance company. I haven't included fringe shows in the Lilian Bylis studio.

2009 had 6 shows: 5 dance shows plus Estrella Morente, with no dancer listed in the programme for her show. Also no solo guitarist on that year's line-up.

2010 programme had 5 shows, all dance companies, no guitarist or singer headlined.

2012 had 8 shows: 5 dance shows plus Vicente Amigo with a dancer, Gerardo Nuñez with Carmen Cortés, and José Mercé without a dancer.

2013 had 8 shows: 6 dance shows plus Tomatito with a "featured dancer", and Estrella Morente, again without a dancer.

2014 Had 6 shows. 5 dance shows plus Miguel Poveda with a dancer. No guitarist had their own show.

2015 Had 7 shows: 5 dance shows plus Arcángel with a "guest dancer" and Gerardo Nuñez with Carmen Cortés.

2016 Had 7 shows: 5 dance shows plus Vicente Amigo, again with a dancer, and Esperanza Fernández with a "guest artist" dancer.

2017 I don't have because we only booked for one show, and on the day when we got to the station all the trains were cancelled because of Storm Doris. We tried to drive instead but the roads were closed/blocked too!

So, is it going uphill or downhill? I don't know.... 2010 had no headline guitarist or singer.... but every other year there has been either a headline singer or both headline singer and headline guitarist.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2017 18:04:56

Escribano

RE: Flamenco popularity (or lack the... (in reply to mark indigo

Thanks for that info.

I got to meet Moraíto in the bar next door afterwards, so it was worth it just for that memory. Great guy.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2017 19:36:37

Brendan

I am delighted to have provoked some archival research. And to have been proved wrong: I’d forgotten about the more recent shows with guitarists headlining.

I stopped buying the programmes. Most of the performers seem to say one of two things. Either, they’re taking flamenco to a new place, while remembering and respecting its roots, or, they’re getting back to the roots but with a modern flavour.

https://sites.google.com/site/obscureflamencology/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2017 22:04:13

tele

RE: Flamenco popularity (or lack the... (in reply to Morante

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morante

quote:

this is unbelievable

Not so; JW is quite right. I know quite a number of flamencos with house and car, who live well.

The downside is that they have to work with dancers and travel constantly, which does not help family life.

I meant it's unbelievable to be a pro flamenco guitarist in Finland.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2017 22:58:15

Dudnote

Pretty sure the festival in Nimes has cante only shows. Looking at the program for next year I can see two that make no mention of dance: Luis Moneo / Antonio Reyes and Pepe de Puro. And there are at least three other shows headlined by singers with invited dancers.

Aye aye campañita de mi a-a-alma
Que tengo en mi flow-flowchart.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2017 6:37:12

mark indigo

RE: Flamenco popularity (or lack the... (in reply to Brendan

quote:

Most of the performers seem to say one of two things. Either, they’re taking flamenco to a new place, while remembering and respecting its roots, or, they’re getting back to the roots but with a modern flavour.

Yeah that's about right.... but I buy the programmes so that in future years I can a) remember who I've seen, and b) post the statistics of baile/cante/guitarra!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2017 10:04:42

mark indigo

RE: Flamenco popularity (or lack the... (in reply to Dudnote

quote:

the festival in Nimes
even with the chunnel/eurostar that's a bit of a stretch for me . Just getting to London is bad enough. We can't get home to our local train station afterwards because the trains don't stop there after about 9pm. So it's an hour drive, then an hour on the train, then getting from the station to the venue. The price of the travel on top of show ticket doubles or exceeds the price of the ticket... I usually try to get to maybe two shows in the festival, depending on availability of time and money.

I get the impression France, and especially the south, is better for flamenco than the UK. A number of flamenco artists (eg. Antonio Moya?) were born there of Andalucian parents. Either they (parents) fled Spain during/after the civil war or were migrant workers.

Germany also seems to be better for flamenco than the UK (eg. Rafael Cortés) due again to migrant workers, mostly from Andalucia. Same I guess with Netherlands and Belgium. Continental Europe generally seems much better for flamenco than the UK.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2017 10:11:21

Dudnote

quote:

then getting from the station to the venue.

if anyone reading this gets as far as the station I'll pick you up and give you a ride to the show

Aye aye campañita de mi a-a-alma
Que tengo en mi flow-flowchart.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2017 14:46:18
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll