Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Tomatito taking classical guitar lessons   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

Tomatito taking classical guitar lessons 

Pretty fun to watch...this is pretty much the way Paco learned the concierto as well with JM Gallardo del Rey years ago. And overall a very cool documentary. His Reyes is over due for a touch up it seems... at 7:30

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2017 12:35:56

estebanana

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to Ricardo

I like how as he gets older he looks more and more like Alan Rickman as Prof. Snape.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2017 12:52:09

estebanana

That was pretty cool. I actually watched it. There a old man with long grey hair dancing at the end, said his name was Jose. Old hippie.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2017 13:13:29

Cloth Ears

How does he not remove all the lacquer from the back of the necks of his guitars with that left thumbnail???!

And that RH pinky nail..ouch. Not even sure he has any reinforcement, difficult to tell.

Severus Snape..lol.

p.s. I understand the 25years since the passing of Cameron logo, but he other logo in the bottom left wtf?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2017 10:06:46

estebanana

I love both Snape and Tomatito.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2017 12:55:19

Echi

Very interesting. Tomatito looks like a genuine man.
If I can say it, I didn’t like all those scenes here and there of Felipe Conde making a guitar as this may suggest a kind of link with Tomatito. .
In fact Tomatito played a Reyes all the movie long and doesn’t usually play FC guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2017 13:13:06

Ricardo

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to Echi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echi

Very interesting. Tomatito looks like a genuine man.
If I can say it, I didn’t like all those scenes here and there of Felipe Conde making a guitar as this may suggest a kind of link with Tomatito. .
In fact Tomatito played a Reyes all the movie long and doesn’t usually play FC guitars

Worse than that....the conde secret might get out of how to build properly...I hope no luthiers other than estebanana noticed things like how to cut a soundhole or put in a rosette sticker!

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2017 15:15:12

jg7238

Great stuff! Thanks for posting.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2017 16:06:25

estebanana

quote:

Worse than that....the conde secret might get out of how to build properly...I hope no luthiers other than estebanana noticed things like how to cut a soundhole or put in a rosette sticker!

You mean the Spanish way of cutting the soundhole with blade in a compass instead of the American way with a router?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2017 22:56:50

Echi

It’s just that all the movie long Tomatito played his Reyes and somehow this is a deserved tribute for the art of a guitar maker.
Imagine that Tomatito played a different maker guitar: I guess he would be proud to see Tomatito playing the guitar in the movie.
Well, at the end you see instead the smiling face of Felipe Conde and his son who have really nothing to do with the guitar played by Tomatito. This is obviously a marketing practice and a misleading message for those unable to distinguish a Reyes guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2017 8:04:25

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echi

It’s just that all the movie long Tomatito played his Reyes and somehow this is a deserved tribute for the art of a guitar maker.
Imagine that Tomatito played a different maker guitar: I guess he would be proud to see Tomatito playing the guitar in the movie.
Well, at the end you see instead the smiling face of Felipe Conde and his son who have really nothing to do with the guitar played by Tomatito. This is obviously a marketing practice and a misleading message for those unable to distinguish a Reyes guitar.

Well, in all honesty, Tomatito was using a Felipe Conde circa 1995, beautifully captured in the Flamenco movie of Saura and the Encuentro instructional, and that instrument has a FAR superior voice to the miriad of Reyes guitars he has been using since, all of which fall short of other finely voiced Reyes instruments used by other players.....IMO. Also there is a scene where Tomatito and son are at the NAMM booth of Felipe Conde, trying out some guitars. So the Felipe Conde inclusion is totally appropriate IMO, regardless which instruments Tomate has been using, and further, there is zero implication that a luthier at work has anything to do with the career of the featured artist, any more than his little stroll through the Almeria guitar museum has some connection to the artist.

Cheers,
Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2017 19:45:03

Echi

quote:

Well, in all honesty, Tomatito was using a Felipe Conde circa 1995, beautifully captured in the Flamenco movie of Saura and the Encuentro instructional, and that instrument has a FAR superior voice to the miriad of Reyes guitars he has been using since, all of which fall short of other finely voiced Reyes instruments used by other players.....IMO.
So the Felipe Conde inclusion is totally appropriate IMO, regardless which instruments Tomate has been using, and further, there is zero implication that a luthier at work has anything to do with the career of the featured artist, any more than his little stroll through the Almeria guitar museum has some connection to the artist.

Ricardo, in my opinion there is a clear connection between Tomatito and Almeria as he was born down there and always had connections with flamenco figures and makers of that area, like Gerundino, Eladio and Miguel Gonzales.

Tomatito played and owned many guitars (and in fact he defines himself as a collector): among his many guitars I would point out first Bellido and Gerundino, but I wouldn’t have problems to add to the list also Conde Hermanos Felipe V.
Nonetheless honestly I keep not seeing the link with the guitars branded Felipe Conde.
I suppose everybody knows that Tomatito’s main guitars on stage have been old Faustino Conde and more recently a Reyes.

Look, I’ m not making any judgement here about the guitars made by Felipe Conde. Btw I started a thread with the title: “is Manuel Reyes overrated?”. Nonetheless I don’t like this kind of aggressive marketing Felipe Conde is known for.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2017 20:22:51

sartorius

Mariano Conde is much friendlier than his dark brother Felipe. This is not a judgement but something I have seen by myself speaking with both over the time. He also builds with his son not far from the Teatro Real of Madrid. Here's what a MC sounds like:

There's also this documentary in which his son says (1:16) that there are four people currently building the MC guitars, two officials that have been working with his father for the last 30 years, his father and him. Seven guitars a month, 70 to 80 guitars a year.

BTW this Tomatito documentary just goes to confirm what I said in an earlier post: Tomatito is losing himself (and his flamencura) in other styles that don't suit him.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2017 12:58:09

Ricardo

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to sartorius

quote:

ORIGINAL: sartorius

Mariano Conde is much friendlier than his dark brother Felipe. This is not a judgement but something I have seen by myself speaking with both over the time. He also builds with his son not far from the Teatro Real of Madrid. Here's what a MC sounds like:

There's also this documentary in which his son says (1:16) that there are four people currently building the MC guitars, two officials that have been working with his father for the last 30 years, his father and him. Seven guitars a month, 70 to 80 guitars a year

BTW this Tomatito documentary just goes to confirm what I said in an earlier post: Tomatito is losing himself (and his flamencura) in other styles that don't suit him.

Friendly has nada to do with guitar building, maybe selling guitars. Anyway, I met both guys and tried both guitars a day apart.... no comparison. I don't care about defending mr felipe or his guitars, but as to this topic the negativity doesn't make sense. There is no marketing in first vid, yes Tomatito used felipe Conde guitars, no Mariano is not superior builder or person and no tomate has not lost flamencura by learning piazzola and aranjuez (eye roll)

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2017 15:32:17

sartorius

Come on Ricardo, we all know guitar builders are a friendly and enthusiastic bunch of men and Felipe just doesn't fit in. That doesn't mean we throw negativity at him, as mentioned earlier it's just something that can be noticed with him.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 6:56:44

Echi

Didn't mean to be negative or say anything bad regarding the guitars of Felipe Conde. If Ricardo says they are good guitars, I cannot but believe him even though this wasn't my point.
My only point was/is that Tomatito has being using almost exclusively a Reyes guitar for many years now and you can see him playing exclusively a Reyes in the video above..That's it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 10:51:43

RobJe

quote:

you can see him playing exclusively a Reyes in the video above

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 11:02:07

Arash

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to sartorius

quote:

ORIGINAL: sartorius

Come on Ricardo, we all know guitar builders are a friendly and enthusiastic bunch of men and Felipe just doesn't fit in.

I met Felipe too. He actually is friendly ....and....funny!
He just has some kind of "I wont lick your ass just so you buy my guitars" attitude, which is fine, since he doesn't need that anymore

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 11:04:05

Echi

quote:

True. The few frames with the orchestra are played with a different negra: Bellido?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 13:18:56

estebanana

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to Arash

quote:

I met Felipe too. He actually is friendly ....and....funny!
He just has some kind of "I wont lick your ass just so you buy my guitars" attitude, which is fine, since he doesn't need that anymore

I'm vehemently anti ass licking to sell guitars, but if anyone one ever needed to kiss ass it's me. Kissing ass or not is inconsequential to guitar making. He's not special just because he does not kiss ass, he just happened to have inherited the widest customer base in the flamenco guitar business. Seriously, why be nice when you start at the top?

Oh the topic sure drifted from Tomatito.....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 13:29:47

Arash

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to estebanana

I didn't say he is special. Just an observation of facts that after selling millions of these guitars you kinda get bored and worn out of the routine

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 13:45:22

RobJe

quote:

True. The few frames with the orchestra are played with a different negra: Bellido?

No idea I'm afraid.

The video (in spite of commercial intrusions) is about the artist and the music I think.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 15:57:03

orsonw

quote:

Barba.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2017 18:34:02

Ricardo

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to orsonw

quote:

ORIGINAL: orsonw

quote:

Barba.

Good find! I spent some time looking for that rosette, even looked at many Francisco Barba models, as I suspected it from the head and tie block, but never found a match.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2017 23:49:51

orsonw

quote:

Good find! I spent some time looking for that rosette, even looked at many Francisco Barba models, as I suspected it from the head and tie block, but never found a match.

Also, Barba often have that type of purfling around the top.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 26 2017 6:45:42

Miguel de Maria

It strikes me that Tomatito's very humble, to learn a classical guitar piece guitar-to-guitar like a newbie learning falsetas. It also seems a great way to learn, if you can afford to pay a teacher everyday.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2017 2:44:59

Ricardo

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

It strikes me that Tomatito's very humble, to learn a classical guitar piece guitar-to-guitar like a newbie learning falsetas. It also seems a great way to learn, if you can afford to pay a teacher everyday.

Learning the Aranjuez in College was quite a different experience for me

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2017 19:07:47

sim999

Interesting documentary thanks for posting that Ricardo.
Don't know about playing the aranjuez though... Tomatito is one of my favorite player when it comes to "festive palos" (Tangos, Bulerias, Alegrias), love his swing and his ideas but when it comes to "libre" palos (I know the adagio is not really libre as demonstrated by Paco but you get what I mean) ... I don't know, I dont really dig it : it's not really going anywhere, seems like a bunch of unfinished ideas and his "forceful sound" does not really work in this context. I prefer the more "intellectual school" for libre palos (amigo, riqueni, manolo sanlucar, even nunez). Maybe he will do great in the 1st & 3rd movement will be interesting to hear his interpretation. Technique has to be very much on point between attempting this one too :)

For me, the most interesting and musical interpretation is still the one by Paco De Lucia.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2017 12:17:31

Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

TAB? just joking :)

Do you like it? The Concierto, I mean?

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2017 2:56:38

Ricardo

RE: Tomatito taking classical guitar... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

TAB? just joking :)

Do you like it? The Concierto, I mean?

No....except that paco played so it's sort of "ok" like the Falla and Garcia Lorca and Albeniz junk. PDL makes it slightly interesting....slightly. Too bad Paco didn't play any Bach.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2017 10:49:05
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll