Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Classical guitar and rest strokes   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Aretium

Classical guitar and rest strokes 

Why the hell are rest strokes not taught to be played like 80% of the time in classical guitar? I see more rest strokes in flamenco guitarists.

The sound and volume is much greater and rounded.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2016 18:23:59

Kiko_Roca

RE: Classical guitar and rest strokes (in reply to Aretium

> ... 80 % of the time ...

Classical guitar spends a lot more time letting things ring and playing multiple notes at once - or at least it seems from the Christmas music scores I have.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2016 19:30:02

rombsix

RE: Classical guitar and rest strokes (in reply to Kiko_Roca

quote:

or at least it seems from the Christmas music scores I have.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2016 22:10:02

Leñador

quote:

Why the hell are rest strokes not taught to be played like 80% of the time in classical guitar?

'Cus classical guitarists are the classical nerds that couldn't afford a piano.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2016 22:56:42

Piwin

quote:

I think you might have answered your own question...
Appoyando is just one option in the entire palette of sounds you can produce with the guitar. What sound you want depends on genre, style, attack, balance, etc. etc. etc.
Classical guitarists use appoyando just fine when they need it, my guess is they just don't need it as much for "classical" music than we do for flamenco.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2016 23:00:34

Aretium

Yeah fair enough. I could probably work on my free strokes but not sure quite which angle of approach is best
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2016 23:29:32

Piwin

You mean work on IMA or your thumb? I almost can't do a thumb free stroke anymore coz of all this flamenco lol. I mean I can, but I really have to focus. My muscle memory in the thumb just goes automatically to rest stroke

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2016 23:47:09

Richard Jernigan

RE: Classical guitar and rest strokes (in reply to Kiko_Roca

I play classical as much as I do flamenco. My warmup routine is always half rest stroke.

There is a wide range of technical schools in classical. Players like Segovia, the Romeros and Yamashita use a lot of rest stroke, and project strongly in big rooms. Yamashita still follows Segovia's lead, playing un-amplified in large halls.

Yamashita's sound filled this hall effectively, blasting away on his 1960s Ramirez.

But nobody else has played here un-amplified, including Niño de Pura.

More recently some teachers have been concentrating on an all free stroke technique, claiming they can get the same tone quality and power as rest stroke. I'm unaware of any of the many classical pros who have played here in the last several years playing with no rest stroke at all.

RNJ

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2016 0:53:47

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aretium

Why the hell are rest strokes not taught to be played like 80% of the time in classical guitar? I see more rest strokes in flamenco guitarists.

There used to be lots more overlap in terms of what flamenco and classical players did. IMO, looking back at old Segovia teaching videos, I notice more in common between Segovias literal hand positions and fingerings with other Andaluz flamencos, than with his own students. Superficially they seem minor but when you really get into studying the difference (to me anyway, visually) it is striking and obvious. We have discussed this in the past, where segovia would get angry at students about fingering and such and most people think of that as him being a bad teacher or a jerk person, but I see it as probably frustration that otherwise good players seem to miss the point about technique details.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2016 19:12:06

archie640

coming from someone who plays and performs a lot of classical pieces, I would say rest stroke is used to create a warmer tone, that is well suited to the very romantasied music created primerily in the classical and romantic periods of music. composed by sor, carcassi and later on tarega, villa lobos etc. This style of playing is obviously in stark contrast to the straight to the point rest stroke style of flamenco. In classical guitar rest stroke is used more to highlight subtle dynamics in the music or accent beats. Such as rest stroking the first note of the apegio for the well known Spanish romance at the start of each beat.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2016 22:15:37
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post