Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Does the grain direction matter in a mahogany neck?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ahmed Flamenco

Does the grain direction matter in a... 

I have 4 pieces of mahogany, 3 of them have the grain rings making angle with the piece but the fourth one rings are somehow parallel to the piece.
Is this OK?!
Thanks in advance
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2015 18:45:23

Stephen Eden

RE: Does the grain direction matter ... (in reply to Ahmed Flamenco

Flat sawn on the broadest side with quartering on the edge of the board is absolutely fine. I've seen many guitars by some of the finest builders on the planet with it. As such I have done 20 like this so far and have another 20 more necks just like it ready to go

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2015 20:45:10

jshelton5040

RE: Does the grain direction matter ... (in reply to Stephen Eden

quote:

ORIGINAL: SEden

Flat sawn on the broadest side with quartering on the edge of the board is absolutely fine. I've seen many guitars by some of the finest builders on the planet with it. As such I have done 20 like this so far and have another 20 more necks just like it ready to go

Stephen,
While I agree with you about the stability of flat sawn necks they are harder shape and sand without showing ridges in the finish along the grain lines. I occasionally use flat sawn material for the head and stacking but would rather not use it for the main neck plank. It's not a big deal to incorporate laminations with ebony or rosewood to facilitate using wood of smaller dimension but more quartered. Of course we're not producing guitars at the rate you are since worn out old people like us do it more as a pass time than a profession. I wish I had your energy .

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2015 22:32:51

Ahmed Flamenco

RE: Does the grain direction matter ... (in reply to Stephen Eden

At first I'd like to thank you Stephen you are awesome
but also how can I determine if the wood is well aged so as not to bend then.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2015 0:09:10

Jeff Highland

You can't really determine aging unless you know it's history.
But if you have it in a suitable environment ( the controlled humidity room you intend to build in for example) then you can determine whether it has reached it's Equilibrium moisture content EMC by accurately weighing the wood and recording it over time. If it does not change then you are good to go.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2015 3:31:31

Anders Eliasson

quote:

but also how can I determine if the wood is well aged so as not to bend then.

Buy it and stock it for a year or more depending on the type of wood. Thats what the rest of us do. There really aint no other way. African mahogany dries pretty fast, so a couple of years should do.

I know a Reyes blanca from 1962. It has a totally flatsawn neck that is straight and good. I think the guitar is worth around 28000,-€
I personally prefer quatersawn necks.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2015 10:36:38

Stephen Eden

All of my flat sawn Mahogany is for my student level guitars so the look is not a major concern of mine. Sill I don't mind the look of it so much.

I use the wieghing method when I can't be sure too. I do over a few months to be sure.

Anders - buying wood and storing it for two years is great but not an option for a lot of people who are just looking to make a few a guitars and especially those at the beginning of thier guitar building journey!

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2015 12:22:59

Ahmed Flamenco

RE: Does the grain direction matter ... (in reply to Jeff Highland

quote:

by accurately weighing the wood and recording it over time

For how long should I do that?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2015 12:24:23

estebanana

My take on the situation is to try to use the oldest vertical grain neck wood you can find in the beginning. Try to source some aged wood and build with that now. And continue to collect wood and store it, but learn over time as your experience and knowledge grows when to bring in flat sawn wood.

Learning about wood is an ongoing thing, you never know everything. If you have a question now you might just get your own answer in 6 months or a year. Things become clear as you go and you can take calculated risks as your knowledge grows.

In the beginning be conservative and go with the dry wood you can purchase now, go with the best tops you can purchase. Spend extra money on tops and necks....being frugal is for experts not beginners. Get the best materials and when you gain experience you will naturally know which decisions to make about which grade and cut to use.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2015 13:19:08

Ahmed Flamenco

RE: Does the grain direction matter ... (in reply to estebanana

The mahogany pieces I have right now are very stiff, some of them have a metallic sound when I hit them,but others do not have the same bright sound ,that makes me say that they are not of the same age.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2015 15:10:39

estebanana

quote:

The mahogany pieces I have right now are very stiff, some of them have a metallic sound when I hit them,but others do not have the same bright sound ,that makes me say that they are not of the same age.

Then they are more likely not the same density or same size or shape.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2015 15:24:49
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote