Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

planing fingerboard   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

12850bd

planing fingerboard 

My 1974 conde has a low action at the frets and has a the right amount of buzz. However its 10mm off the sounboard at the bridge and is uncomfortable to play. The neck is straight...no issues there. If i lower the bone by even 0.5mm its rattles way to much. Does anyone know if its possible to plane say 2mm off the fingerboard refret and the lower the bone so that its 8mm off the face?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 19 2014 23:06:47

jshelton5040

RE: planing fingerboard (in reply to 12850bd

Are you seriously considering altering your Conde for one or two mm's at the saddle? Do you know how much it will cost to have a luthier do this work? I wouldn't even consider doing what you're suggesting if it were my guitar.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 19 2014 23:31:35

12850bd

thx ...I didnt know whether it would be expensive or otherwise but 10 mm is high for a flamenco guitar. My other 3 condes have heights at the bridge of 7.7 and 8mm and very comfortable for flamenco because your fingers rest on the face for many techniques.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 19 2014 23:47:10

tele

one to two mm makes it a problem with the player , not guitar

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 19 2014 23:52:38

Anders Eliasson

I understand your problems with the stringheight at the bridge. 10mm is to high for most serious players

Its difficult or impossible to say if its possible to shave the fretboard on your guitar without having seen at least a photo of the side of the fretboard over the soundboard and knowing how thick it is there.
Normally when working this problem, you plane the fingerboard in an angle. So that it stays same thickness at the nut and some 1,5mm thinner at the soundhole (in your case, you need to take off around 1 - 1.2 mm at the 12th fret and leave 1st fret as it is.) It can't always be done. Some fingerboards will end up being to thin near the soundhole and the refretting will become difficult or impossible.
Its a lot of work and a bit risky because you have to cut new fretslots over the soundboard, so it costs money to have it done and choose someone who knows and who's willing to do the job.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 20 2014 8:09:23

RobJe

quote:

choose someone who knows

Yes this is vital. I had this done at the same time as a refret by an experienced luthier and I was very pleased with the outcome
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 20 2014 8:54:05

12850bd

thx Anders.....its good to hear from someone who actually understands the problem of strings height over the guitar face. Too many people talk about action over the frets and although it does have an effect on the feel , the height the face is far more important IMO.
I will take it to a luthier here and see what he says after looking closely at it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 20 2014 21:49:12

Ricardo

my sanchis is designed for this job in the future. Very thick ebony board but it buzzes and is like 10-11 at the bridge.....made be bleed once. But it's a relatively cheap guitar. I wouldn't think twice about doing it to a probably great sounding 70's era conde, totally worth the money and efforts. Perhaps instead of planning, a new fingerboard can be put on that has a steeper angle so you can bring down the bridge 2 mm and have a clean sound? My 73 conde has the opposite issue...7 mm at the brige but it doesn't buzz at all unless you play real hard. Same deal I would have to get a new fingerboard that is a bit thicker (unless they can veneer a thin piece of ebony on top?).

Good luck!

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2014 14:15:18

12850bd

thx Ricardo....He said the finger board slopes nicely to about the 12th fret but then goes more or less horizontal. He said he can easily refret it and sand it down after fret 12 and it should give me a saddle height of about 8mm. Those old Condes have a unique sound totally different from post 90 models....very warm. He agrees with you that it is well worth doing
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2014 21:17:06

Anders Eliasson

That sounds like the guitar has had a slight neckangle change over the years. Nothing strange about that.
What you describe is not a big job. so, good luck.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2014 7:47:24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote