Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Shellac finish & cejilla   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

tele

Shellac finish & cejilla 

My guitar has fresh shellac finish on it(finished about a week ago) and when I put a traditional cejilla on it, it causes really noticeable lines that can't be polished/wiped away, even when the cejilla has a leather strap to protect the neck from the strings tension.
Is this normal or should I wait for some time before using traditional cejilla on the guitar(how many weeks/months)?

Also, should I do anything to protect the shellac finish from sweat? Will occasional wiping with a cloth(maybe once a week) be sufficient?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2014 22:35:04

constructordeguitarras

RE: Shellac finish & cejilla (in reply to tele

This is pretty normal, with any type of finish. Spanish cedar, which is usually used on flamenco guitar necks, is soft. Some other types of cejilla offer better protection if used properly--not over tightened.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2014 23:52:51

Anders Eliasson

It happens when the cedar is very soft. Its not really a matter of the finish.

It sounds like you shouldnt use a trad cejilla on that guitar. Use something like the planet waves capo.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2014 7:53:43

tele

RE: Shellac finish & cejilla (in reply to Anders Eliasson

The finish is affected, not the cedar, at least it looks like that. It's like someone has used fine abrasive paper on the line that's left after the cejilla

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2014 16:47:13

constructordeguitarras

Well, shellac will harden more and more as it ages. It could be repaired and then allowed to harden for a couple of months before being capoed. I have made only a few capos, but I made a nice one once with a peg that fit the hole so well that it was super easy to get it to stay, and it was easy to use it without over tightening. If you let the shellac harden well and avoid over tightening the capo, you may be able to avoid more of this.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2014 17:55:26

Ricardo

I have to admit, it's one thing I can't ever agree about finish is the neck...it should be pretty thick like smooth plastic back there. i accept the soundboard will benefit from a thinner finish vs thick plastic, but back of the neck should be looked at differently. It should not ever need a "touch up" etc. IMO.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2014 12:38:37

Andy Culpepper

Even a thin layer of shellac takes months to fully harden and it can be pretty soft at first. I take a month to do a FP finish in order to give a good amount of drying between bodying -> sanding and final polish -> string up.

re: sweat some people's sweat will totally strip shellac off a guitar. I never have that problem, just have to occasionally wipe some crud off the corner of the guitar during summer. For people that do, I've had good results with an Australian product called Hard Shellac. It wears better than traditional shellac and is resistant to sweat damage.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2014 12:59:24

tele

RE: Shellac finish & cejilla (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

I have to admit, it's one thing I can't ever agree about finish is the neck...it should be pretty thick like smooth plastic back there. i accept the soundboard will benefit from a thinner finish vs thick plastic, but back of the neck should be looked at differently. It should not ever need a "touch up" etc. IMO.

I agree, also thick sprayed finish like in condes, ramirez etc. feels more comfortable and smoother. Also I played once a guitar from 1976 with original finish and the shellac on the neck still felt somewhat sticky.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2014 13:02:48

etta

As for traditional capos marking the neck, a good solution is to replace the traditional leather, etc., with a strong piece of G string running through small, plastic tubing(the kind they sell for aquariums works fine). None of my guitars have had necks marked or marred with this solution.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2014 15:22:38

tele

I fixed the problem by using stiffer leather.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2014 18:23:49
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post