Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Just starting out...!!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

henrym3483

RE: Just starting out...!! (in reply to MARTINH

MARTINH,

welcome to the forum, ive been doing guitar for a year and a half now, and flamenco for the last 8 months, i think once you kinda get 3 finger ragsueo, pulgar and picado down a good level then you can have some fun, after that then its all left hand work.

im tearing my hair out at the moment learning a tremolo piece for solea my teacher sent me , its wrecking my head hitting all these bum notes, after playing the first half well.

expect frustration, but it's worth when you can pull off a piece from start to finish witout no hiccups and you can say i've achieved something worthwhile.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2005 17:22:41

JasonM

RE: Just starting out...!! (in reply to henrym3483

What helped me to learn how to change chords and play rhythm was to strum the open strings between chord changes.

For example, play a pattern like G C G D. Make the G chord, strum the chord with a down stroke and then an up stroke. Then strum the open strings with a down stroke and then an up stroke. Then to the next chord, etc. Playing the open strings in between changes will give you time to visualize where your stubborn fingers will go next. You can even begin to place one or two fingers of the next chord while strumming. Use a pick if you want, and apply it to Ricardo's example.

Jason

Oh, and don't forget to keep those fingers curled. That will build muscle strenght and memory.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2005 20:48:15

fevictor

RE: Just starting out...!! (in reply to MARTINH

I have a usefull exersise that I´m sure that everyone here is familiar with, and it is great for finger positioning, especially for Flamenco:

Place your four fingers of your left hand on the first string; index on first fret, middle on second, ring on third, and fianlly pinky on fourth. Move your thumb down to the centre of the neck so that your fingers are 90 degrees to the fret board. Is your hand in pain yet? Good. Your doing it right then.

The idea is to move each finger individually up one fret, starting with the index and finishing with the pinky. With your right hand, play picado to set the rythm. I like to do a couple of notes between finger movements.

Don´t worry about speed or anything else. Your main goal is to move each finger INDIVIDUALLY, and keep them perpendicular to the fret board. The ring finger will be the hardest to move. You´ll notice that by the time you make it to the top string (E), your hand will hurt and it will be hard not to touch the lower strings. Work on this, but don´t hurt yourself....you will get it with time.

Once you can do this excersise without stopping, set up your metronome to about 60 and play this excersise in rythm. Always keep your fingers at 90 degrees!!! you will find out why later!

Just remember that there are lots of excersises that you can do and that there WILL be pain in the beginning. STOP WHEN THERE IS TOO MUCH PAIN. You can work on rythm by simply muting the strings and strumming to the metronome or a palo that you like.

This excersise will work on your picado as well as left hand tecnique.

I am a beginner too. I feel your pain buddy, but don´t ever give up. It DOES get easier!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2005 3:29:46
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post