Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: About to quit the smoke   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ToddK

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to Leñador

quote:

'm already down to about a pack a week

I would'nt worry too much if you're only smoking 2 or 3 cigs a day.

Thats nothing! :)

TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2013 15:12:59

Ruphus

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to ToddK

I always admired the few who somehow manage to discipline themselves to 2 or 3 per day. Hats off!

This one made me laugh out loud: "I'm guessing Kazakhstan or perhaps Wales."

WALES! So funny!!

May I ask why Wales would supposed to be abrasive? hehehe

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2013 15:43:01

Leñador

quote:

I would'nt worry too much if you're only smoking 2 or 3 cigs a day.

Maybe I should ramp it up to give myself a reason to quit.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2013 17:48:21

ralexander

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to Ruphus

Best of luck to anyone trying to quit. I gave up cigs as a full time habit years ago, and I'm to the point now that I can have a few when drinking or whatever and not be totally sucked back in. The most helpful thing that kickstarted my quitting was that I had a brutal cold for about 2 weeks and smoking at the time tasted and felt horrible. It was the start I needed, and luckily I was able to ride it through.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2013 14:04:21

Leñador

Day 3 not smoking for me, after meals is by far the hardest for me. Hopefully I make it to the other side like the rest a y'all. This is the first time I've quit that I didn't live with someone that smoked so I feel confidant.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2013 14:46:05

Doitsujin

you damn druggers :P

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2013 15:26:05

KMMI77

quote:

Day 3 not smoking for me, after meals is by far the hardest for me. Hopefully I make it to the other side like the rest a y'all. This is the first time I've quit that I didn't live with someone that smoked so I feel confidant.

That's awesome Lenador! Getting through those first few days was motivation to keep going for me. They were the worst part so far.

I'm on day 18 now and still going. I haven't had a single drag so far

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2013 19:11:26

n85ae

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to kozz

Yep, it's attitude that will lead to not stopping. You have to go Yul Brenner mode

"if you smoke, just stop"

quote:

That's the first step to failure...
Welcome back to the smokers-people
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2013 19:18:02

tele

Just about the best thing a smoker can do is move to additive free tobacco such as "manitou". There's about 600 additives in all the famous brands and I bet half of them is addictive. Look for the list on wikipedia. Nicotine in itself isn't that addictive. I smoke additive free cigarettes about once a week with no craving. Before that I smoked two years daily.

In the end what's better than smoking is fresh lungful of air. It's not so obvious until you have experienced smokers lungs.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2013 19:28:55

Leñador

quote:

you damn druggers :P

I prefer the word junkie

Thanks y'all, everyone I've ever known that quit successfully did it cold turkey.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2013 19:32:56

El Kiko

Do it ... just do it .......been 3 years for me now and I dont miss them at all ....

You will have more money in your pocket ....you will be able to run without stopping , you will taste food better , girls will like like you cos you dont smell of old tobacco ...
The Pope will seek your advice ..., Hollywood will say ' who is this non-smoking , woodcutting , beardy guy ..!! your teeth will be whiter and glint in the sun ..you will live to be 104 ish ...or thereabouts ..everyone will admire you ... your rasgueardos will improve ....your buleria will sound more buleriary.....
(now we have a new word )

its all pros' and no cons ,.....what more do you need ......go , go , go ....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2013 21:22:55

Leñador

quote:

Hollywood will say ' who is this non-smoking , woodcutting , beardy guy ..!!

Hilarious, I love it!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2013 21:32:34

Ruphus

Had some hooch yesterday first time after a long while.
As alc widens tissue cells while nicotine tightens them / the two badly crave for each other, a nip of alc ( however bad a hooch it be, and boy, was that a miserbale dishwater ) seems kind of a litmus test to me. ( So challenging that I neglected a booz invitation in the early period of abstinence, for been convinced then that it would be throwing me behind.)

Surprsisingly though, while enjoying the nips and our discussion no longing came up.

All in all life is as if I hadn´t been smoking. Only scatteredly a thought creeps back into inner spotlight, reminding me of being a smoker and how there are actually popping up minute quirks that make things look as if you could be lapsing back anytime with a verve of delectation.

About a week ago I had another dream in which me had lite up a cigarette and was sucking it away with ecstatic pleasure when suddenly realizing that there was a withdrawal broken; jerking and waking up in relieving innocent reality.
Turning around in bed and dropping off again.

When coming to thinking of it, it ususally is being a reminder in the way of "Dude, you have quit and for most of the time do not even note it."
Going for another cup of tea, or peeling a carrot to niblle on, without even thinking to that other possible place-maker.

The major challenge seems to really lie in those first 3 or 4 days. ... and in mean occasional demons flashing up out of nowhere.

Nice to hear of your easy breakaway too, guys! :O)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2013 1:47:34

n85ae

Uh-huh ... Your still typing a dissertation about not smoking, which means it's
on your mind all the time. Just do something else. :)

Regards,
Jeff

quote:

Had some hooch yesterday first time after a long while.
As alc widens tissue cells while nicotine tightens them / the two badly crave for each other, a nip of alc ( however bad a hooch it be, and boy, was that a miserbale dishwater ) seems kind of a litmus test to me. ( So challenging that I neglected a booz invitation in the early period of abstinence, for been convinced then that it would be throwing me behind.)

Surprsisingly though, while enjoying the nips and our discussion no longing came up.

All in all life is as if I hadn´t been smoking. Only scatteredly a thought creeps back into inner spotlight, reminding me of being a smoker and how there are actually popping up minute quirks that make things look as if you could be lapsing back anytime with a verve of delectation.

About a week ago I had another dream in which me had lite up a cigarette and was sucking it away with ecstatic pleasure when suddenly realizing that there was a withdrawal broken; jerking and waking up in relieving innocent reality.
Turning around in bed and dropping off again.

When coming to thinking of it, it ususally is being a reminder in the way of "Dude, you have quit and for most of the time do not even note it."
Going for another cup of tea, or peeling a carrot to niblle on, without even thinking to that other possible place-maker.

The major challenge seems to really lie in those first 3 or 4 days. ... and in mean occasional demons flashing up out of nowhere.

Nice to hear of your easy breakaway too, guys! :O)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2013 5:43:31

Ruphus

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to n85ae

quote:

ORIGINAL: n85ae

Uh-huh ... Your still typing a dissertation about not smoking, which means it's
on your mind all the time. Just do something else. :)

Regards,
Jeff

What you say.
quote:

... there are actually popping up minute quirks that make things look as if you could be lapsing back anytime with a verve of delectation.

Regarding the over all situation, I am actually thinking of the abstinence only every other time, with most of those spontaneous reminders being merely sel-gratifying assessments of a positive development.

Do you mean that it could be had any more minor after 40 years of smoke?

I for my part am rather flabbergasted about the relatively small / rare temptation.
Never expected a quit to turn out that easy. ( Again, apart of some intermediate evil flashes.) It is eaven easier than my last attempt of 4 clean months in 1993 or so.

... And hey; what were you supposed to do? Fool yourself about some apparent left behind tasteless one-way street, while your body and mind would be knowing better.

No, I think current measures as taken to be pretty proportionate and efficient as is. ... :OP

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2013 10:34:51

Ruphus

Eight months passed and me is still being abstinent. ( With no exceptions, not even when surrounded with smoking folks - in my house. And not when my old cat died; which was of the hardest moments to behave myself.)

KM and Todd, I hope your are being on the brave side too!
-

The point of physical demand is long surpassed now, but I am still missing it.
Every other time, like maybe once per month on average, there out of a sudden comes up such a strong desire, keeping me engaged with fancying the inhaled pleasure for a minute or two before it fades away again.

I believe that quitting in the long term must be easier for chain-smokers.
That way of consuming is with little pleasure and often enough even tasteless because of the overdose.
Thus, once a chain smoker has overcome the physical addiction he should be rather in a position to cut the chord for good.

The more you used to smoke with pleasure though, possibly consuming mainly tobacco instead of chemicals, appreciating good rolling and always pushing back in line the next cigarette just to increase the pleasure and the ceremony ...
The more you have been consciously relishing, the harder it might be to quit.

Like in my case. The physical going off turned out surprisingly easy actually.
But I definitly do miss the sensational pleasure of a well rolled cig.

Making a bogeyman of it aside: There is little that grants you during breaks like a fine smoke.
Especially for a creative mind.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2013 15:27:19

Leñador

That's great Ruphus!
I wasn't sure exactly how long I had been quit till I looked at this thread. I don't know why but this has been the easiest it's ever been to stay quit.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2013 16:19:50

gj Michelob

I read your post, Ruphus, while having my morning black coffee and an unfliltered Camel [which I smoke -in place of my ordinary fix- when I feel particularly cool].... And I feel embarrassed and silly.

It is indeed, as you mention, that unique sense of detachment from the world that a cigarette-break gives us that makes it nearly impossible to forfeit. Yet, it may lead to a premature and more permanent break from the world than we bargain for when we light-up.

I mentioned attending the Rolling Stones concert a few weeks ago, and I was stunned that good ol' [70 yrs] Keith Ruchards smoked contemptuously on stage!! Of course, witnessing that comforts our vice but after all it is why and how we started, isn't it?

Bravo, Ruphus, keep clear of Stogs they are now socially unacceptable and incontrovertibly dangerous.
-hence the query, why can't I quit?

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2013 16:22:06

Richard Jernigan

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to gj Michelob

I'm a very lucky person. It was easy for me to quit cigarettes nearly fifty years ago, so you should take this with a grain of salt.

I have a policy of befriending my vices. Once or twice a month I put a small steak on the charcoal grill. When it is done just so, I eat it with a nice salad, maybe half a baked potato and one glass of red wine.

The rest of the time it's vegetarian breakfast and lunch, maybe a small piece of chicken or fish with supper.

For a few years when I lived in the tropics I would start each weekend by sitting at a beach shack after supper on Friday, watching the sun set over the glorious blue Pacific, puffing on a good cigar and sipping a glass of cognac. Maybe once a month friends from the more populous island at the south end of the atoll would fly up and join me. After one cigar and 125 milliliters of cognac, I didn't want any more of either one.

Six days a week I would swim at least a kilometer, and on essentially every weekend my buddies and I would go scuba diving.

There were no private cars on the island. I rode my bicycle back and forth to work, and back and forth to lunch, a couple of miles each way. Ten and a half months of the year, at least a mile would be into the teeth of a 12 to 18 knot trade wind. You would breathe hard and sweat, no matter how fit you were.

We were given an annual physical examination to certify that we were fit to climb towers: 200-foot microwave towers, 150-foot antenna towers, etc. Part of the exam was a spirometer test to determine lung capacity.

The first time the chief medical officer looked at my test he mused, "Hmm, 54 years old, lung capacity of a 25-year old...I bet you never smoked."

"I started when I was 16, smoked a pack a day when I was 28. I'm still a regular smoker."

"????"

"One cigar a week."

"Exercise?"

I reported.

"Keep up the cigars. They seem to be good for you," the doc pretended to advise, with an ironic smile.

These days I may go a month or six weeks without a cigar, but when I want one, I have a stash of a few Cuban Montecristos I brought back from my last foray to Southeast Asia.

However, ten years after she graciously quit at my request, my ex-wife still craved a cigarette.

Different strokes for different smokers.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2013 18:06:18

gj Michelob

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Lovely post, Richard, but your cigar is a patrician indulgence while my cigarette a petty vice. I wish I could convert to your more refined enjoyment of tobacco and spirits.... and perhaps there is some inspiration in what you wrote that may change my heart in that direction.

Thank you.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2013 18:59:34

Ruphus

Hey Lenador,

Great to hear that you are clean too!
-

Cigars and pipes are not supposed to be inhaled, isn´t it. ( Yet they are more prone to causing cancer for higher fume application on smaller surface of mucous membrane.)

Sometime in the eighties I switched to pipe smoking ( inhaling, couldn´t do otherwise ) for a year or so, but cigs just taste better.

Richard,

I know myself unable to only smoke occasionally. I admire how others can do that, but can´t do myself.

GJ,

I think to have smoked many of major brands filterless, including the French, German ...

* Here the rest of text got lost during upload.
It was about your guild because of disproportionate introduction of slices on value dispute been behind public policies / certain processings against industries. ( Guilty as charged?) From there again the resulting PC hystery and public lemming reaction to PR.

And in sight of cigarette makes my suggestion to give Lucky Strike another try. The original US product being the best premade I have come across.
Nice round fume without acidy bite to it.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2013 21:50:06

guitarbuddha

I am an occasional smoker and a weekly drinker and a sometime online curmudgeon.For me the only question worth considering about any vice is

'Am I really going to enjoy this ?'

When the honest answer becomes an emphatic

'No' .

I have learned that that is time to take a break.

Yet alcohol makes cigarettes delightful. Cigars make whiskey EXPLODE and as for green herb and chocolate ....

So what is the payoff with the curmudgeon thing ? Well,,,, when I was a child after a fight my opponent and I would dust ourselves off shake hands and find that magically we had formed a strange and very honest little bond.

But then some guys just didn't get it, never shook. You all know the ones, the ones who could never stand to lose.

Maybe in the end cigarettes are like that, no fun to fight with and always leaving a bad taste in ones mouth.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2013 23:27:10

Richard Jernigan

In the 1960s it was still fashionable to smoke a pipe, so of course I complied. I never really liked it, so I put mine away and kept on with cigarettes. But I kept a pipe in my desk drawer at work. It served a useful purpose.

Just about everyone at work smoked cigarettes, indoors. In a meeting room with a dozen people, if things went on for more than an hour, the air was totally befouled. My throat and eyes would burn. Besides, a meeting lasting more than an hour is almost certain to start wasting time.

I would excuse myself briefly and return with my pipe, charged for action. Adding to the already dense fog, the combined pipe and cigarette smoke handily exceeded the pollution tolerance of any more or less normal human. It seldom took more than ten minutes after I fired up the pipe to drive everyone from the room.

RNJ.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 14:38:30

BarkellWH

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

In the 1960s it was still fashionable to smoke a pipe

I never took up smoking of any form--cigarettes, cigars, or pipes--even as a teenager when one is most vulnerable. Nevertheless, I have always thought that pipe tobacco generally had a much richer and nicer aroma than either cigarettes or cigars. As a consequence, while I didn't smoke, I did not mind being around someone who smoked a pipe.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 14:44:03

Ruphus

Hehehe, funny strategy, Richard.

I agree, Bill, pipe tobaccos can be smelling nice.

When I was six or so Spanish officers entered our compartment in the train and made me vomit as they all lite up cigars. ( That was when I promised to my proud mother that I would never start smoking when grown up. err )

Cigarillos, but more even cigars do often times outright stink, some even literally like feeces.
I recall to have several times asked complete strangers on weddings or bar nights to please put out the thing or smoke it outsight, for it had truly been a cheek.
It needs something really pesting to get me such pert; it was just too much.

That was all in the eighties to mid nineties I think, when cigars had become fashion and every fashionable seemed to be smoking these things regardless of actually finding it tasty or not.

Back to Richards conference situation: I miss the times when smokers and none smokers where siding naturally.
The memories belong to those of a less regulated time in certain respects.

Think to have mentioned it already: My bro for instance was a none-smoker but would in a very relaxed manner allow anyone to smoke besides him, even in small cabines of sportwagens.
Unthinkable today without bbeing chased out of town.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 16:46:41

Arash

Bad news: nearly all flamencos smoke.
Just look at paco and his Marlboro lights packets always in reach.

I should quit too. Very bad for my thyroid/eye problems, etc.
Doctor told me, either quit or that will never heal, period.
And i still smoke like a retard. And not those more "healthy" ones, but marlboro medium (which i am sure is filled with 200 different additional substances)

Should really quit soon.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 17:05:16

gj Michelob

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to Arash

Arash, as mentioned before "you and I are a dangerous pair" really and -as you point out- we both are also ... Dumb !!!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 17:10:00

BarkellWH

quote:

Bad news: nearly all flamencos smoke.

You're right, Arash, and, unfortunately, look at those who have died of lung cancer--Cameron, Ramon de Algeciras, and no doubt many others.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 17:13:28

Arash

RE: About to quit the smoke (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

ORIGINAL: gj Michelob

Arash, as mentioned before "you and I are a dangerous pair" really and -as you point out- we both are also ... Dumb !!!

I think its probably easier than we assume or are scared from....but really don't know why i simply don't do it. I even never really tried hard. Never really sat down and thought about it for more than 10 minutes, just some casual moments of concerned thoughts, but then just moved on...

@BarkellWH, indeed.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 17:23:29

gj Michelob

quote:

but really don't know why i simply don't do it. I even never really tried hard. Never really sat down and thought about it for more than 10 minutes, just some casual moments of concerned thoughts, but then just moved on...

Sadly, I share the same sentiment and experience.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 17:37:38
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote