Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Must know cante   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Leñador

Must know cante 

I'm still fairly new to listening to cante let alone accompanying cante. The only cante I really know & can accompany is that Triana tangos, "Triana, Triana, que bonito esta Triana.....". If one were to begin the quest of learning cante to accompany what would be some must know cante's. Things that ALL cantaores know, not really your favorites, more the most widely known. Like "You must learn these! Then you can learn the ones you like."

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 5:15:30

Anders Eliasson

RE: Must know cante (in reply to Leñador

It doesnt really work like that.
A Singers will sing 3 - 4 letras in whatever palo and they´ll pick up whatever letra and mix them. Another singer will start with the same letra and will sing 3 other letras.
That is the really difficult thing in flamenco and its where its so different from other misic types. And it means that even though you might know a lot of letras, you´ll have to learn to trust your ear. Learn to hear when there´s a harmonic change in what the singer sings.

BTW, there´s a couple of different versions of ´Que bonito está Triana´ they have different harmonics and chords. Flamenco is Andalucian and Andalucian means chaotic. Trust me. I´ve lived here for 11 years.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 7:24:50

Erik van Goch

At Paco's university corse in Rotterdam we started with the main melodys of soleares, tientos/tangos, bulerias, alegrias, seguiriyas and fandangos. That was more related to our own (idealistic) journey of learning cante than to the question what was applicable with local cantaores. First of all there were no local cantaores in the Netherlands at that period of time and secondly the cantaores we flew in from spain were all-round professionals who could sing anything we want. I guess the kind/amount of songs a cantaor mastered strongly varies with regional background and level of professionalism. Some fabulous singers can only produce the local styles (and have no or less knowledge of the other forms) and others are living encyclopedia.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 7:30:16

mezzo

Well said Anders, I completely agree with you (as most of the times ).

quote:

Like "You must learn these! Then you can learn the ones you like."

What you must learn is : to understand the cante structure. When the cambio occurs, how long it lasts. Where/when is the rest in the inbetweens verse, if any. This kind of things.
Fact is, as Anders said, there are no stone rules. As soon as you begin to state generalization, someone could come and contradict you coz this or that one is done differently...

You could learn alegrias structure. It's basically a 2 chords song (coz there's no cambio in). If you understand how the cante is structured, you might be able to accomp most of the TRADITIONAL letras (warning about my generalization concern here )

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 8:06:22

koenie17

RE: Must know cante (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Agree!!

The dificult thing is when it´s about 2 o´clock at night(or later) and people start to get drunk! All of a sudden singing in tune y a compas isn´t that easy anymore. And ofcourse it´s never their fault And these are the people who know how to sing.
Every now and then, new people come into our peña allready wasted from a rough night and decide to have a couple of more drinks(because it´s really cheap).
Now they want to have a go and do a little fandangos completely out of tune and compas, or even worse they want a guitar!! Luckely there´s a special old beaten up guitar available for this ocasion. Can be really funny sometimes how quickly everyone get´s their guitar the hell out of there and swap it for the special one! Usually they have enough after a couple of minutes and they leave. Sometimes they insist and blame it on everyone but themselves. But I´ve definately seen some hilarious moments. Next times it happens i´ll try and film it and post it here on the forum.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 8:52:05

koenie17

RE: Must know cante (in reply to mezzo

quote:

You could learn alegrias structure. It's basically a 2 chords song

True!! But like you allready mencioned, it can all of a sudden change into Mirabras, Romeras(Cantiñas) or Alegrías de Cordoba . There´s always a catch.. but this is why a guitarist should know cante. Everytime I think I can do it more or less fine someone comes up and does a little variacion or a different coletilla. Luckely everyone is always very helpfull and explain what the hell happened right there .
I think that for me the learning procces will never end

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 9:12:57

Leñador

You see, I didn't even know how to ask the question properly! These are great answers, who or what should I be listening to in order to become more familiar with the different melodies for the different palos? For example, if someone wanted to become familiar with the palos on guitar I would point them towards sabicas, Paco Pena, niño Ricardo etc because it's more (for lack of better term) obvious then say Vicente amigo and Rafael riqueni.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 13:09:01

koenie17

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Aug. 31 2012 13:26:29
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 13:21:06

koenie17

quote:

who or what should I be listening to in order to become more familiar with the different melodies for the different palos?

Look for "Rito y Geografio del Cante" on youtube!

Explains almost everything.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 13:22:59

Leñador

Essooo, gracias, eres el mejor koenie!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 13:29:22

mark indigo

RE: Must know cante (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

And it means that even though you might know a lot of letras, you´ll have to learn to trust your ear. Learn to hear when there´s a harmonic change in what the singer sings.

that seems relevant to the other thread running about whether you need to the words of cante or just follow the melody with appropriate harmony while keeping compas etc.

also in that thread Norman said:
quote:

If you know something like 200 of the most popular letras, you'll know most of what's going to be sung at any given performance.

so i guess that 200 would be a good place to start, anyone got a list? Norman?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 14:07:13

Leñador

200, is that all? jk, that's something I really love about flamenco, it's a life long journey.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 15:34:19

Ricardo

Norman's site is a fantastic source....for solea and siguiriya. He spells it out clear, and even though EVERY style is touched on, he points out which are the most common ones sung nowadays.

http://www.canteytoque.es/soleares.htm

For the rest of the song forms, Merengue de Cordoba has a very clear and concise instructional Video on ENCUENTRO series, all the main forms you would ever need to know with only the most common examples. Unfortunately you get only one singer and one guitarist interpreting, but as a reference I think its what every flamenco player needs that is just getting into cante seriously.

THere are two books, one with standard falsetas note for note, and a second book which, if anyone recalls, is like the perfect "Flamenco Real book" as it has the chord charts for all the cantes in a clear concise form....understanding when accompanying the number of measures can change or location of chords can move, etc, as per following a singer. It's just a blue print that functions as a great base.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 16:15:06

koenie17

RE: Must know cante (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Norman's site is a fantastic

Wow!! That´s an amazing site!! Didn´t know about that one yet

Seems I´ve got some work to do!!

Q Viva el Norman!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 17:19:08

Leñador

Ricardo, thank you man, I could kiss you! But I'll compose myself That's gold! Does anyone recall the name of the second book?

Also deserves a:
Q Viva el Norman!!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 18:37:44

mark indigo

RE: Must know cante (in reply to Ricardo

Norman's site has over 200 letras por solea and over 200 for siguiriya

i assumed the
quote:

200 of the most popular letras
covered all main palos. i'd still like to know what's on Norman's list, and how much of a match/overlap between this and the Merengue/Churumbaque DVD

quote:

Does anyone recall the name of the second book?
Lenador, you get 2 books with the Merengue/Churumbaque DVD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 22:17:09

Leñador

RE: Must know cante (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

Lenador, you get 2 books with the Merengue/Churumbaque DVD

Now I see! Thanks Mark, and thanks again Ricardo, even more helpful then I thought!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 22:51:04

srshea

I’m only starting to get into the thick of this stuff myself, so the advice I have to offer is pretty low-grade, but here goes:

Start small. Just like a lot of beginners make the mistake (guilty as charged) of getting a bunch of method books and grinding their way through them and trying to learn every toque all at once (because there’s so much stuff you have to learn, and you have to learn it all right now!!!) and not really getting anywhere, when they would have been much better off focusing ONLY on, say, solea and tangos and only playing super basic compas and simple falsetas for two months or six months or however long it takes them to really nail some basic stuff down before moving on to the next thing, I think it’s also a recipe for failure when it comes to studying and making sense of cante to try and “learn it all” all at once. Unless you’re a freak who can just soak stuff up like a sponge, you should try to focus on a small handful of things at any one time.

So, there’s important stuff, and less important stuff, but even if you narrow your focus down to the most important stuff, that still a lot of stuff! Too much to take in at once, so I think you have to just pick a spot, almost at random, and pitch your tent there for a while. There are any of a number of campsites to pick:

Like the others have mentioned, Norman’s site is an invaluable resource, particularly because solea and siguiriyas are both really large in scope, with lots of regional styles and personal sub-styles, derivative sub-styles of the substyles, and hair’s-breadth differences between this guy’s and that guy’s version of whatever; it’s a thick forest to hack through.

So, pick a place to start and go. On the solea page Norman has helpfully broken each style down into “Popular” “Known” and “Not Popular” which is nice because then you can skip the weird, obscure stuff for now and just focus on the stuff people actually still sing. And then of course, when you narrow it down to just the “poplular” stuff, it’s still a lot of stuff. Pick a couple. Lately I’ve been focusing on Mellizo’s and Joaquin el de la Paula’s stuff.

For siguiriyas I’ve been working on Molina 1/Torre 1 (two very closely related cantes that are two of the most popular and important styles), and some variants of the style Viejo de la Isla, which has a number of offshoots that have developed from it, Paco La Luz, El Marrurro, Francisco La Perla, etc. So, all that stuff is basic, essential stuff, and as good a place to start as any, but I’m sure there are other equally important places you could start out from.

Another launching pad could be bulerias por solea, which is also broken down on Norman’s site. There are only half a dozen of those cantes: buleria larga, buleria corta, La Moreno, Sordo La Luz, etc. So, that’s a concise, comparatively manageable little chunk of stuff to learn, and for me, once I’ve “mastered” one thing and have it firmly under my belt, it makes learning the next thing that much easier. So if you can learn the melodies and structures of those cantes, you’d have a nice little base of knowledge to build off of. Though, as a word of warning, things could get tricky and confusing there because if you listen to something on a record or watch something on youtube that’s labeled “bulerias por solea” or solea por bulerias or solea al golpe or bulerias para escuchar or whatever, you might get just straight bulerias por solea cantes, but you might also hear the singer mix some other “regular” solea styles in, like solea de Frijones, or you might hear someone sing just straight solea styles at a fast tempo with the same aire as bulerias por solea, but no actual bulerias por solea cantes. Which could freak you out and overwhelm you and make you think you’ll never make any sense of all this stuff, in which case you could just take a deep breath and focus on those clips on Norman’s site (and if you listen to older recordings labeled ‘bulerias or solea’ chances are it’ll actually be just that; I think a lot of the “mixing” came later), and learn those cantes. Then, if you hear something on a recording that you can’t reconcile to an “official” bulerias por solea melody, you might not know what it is, but you know what it ain’t, and can start your search from there. I find myself using that kind of process of elimination a lot “Hmn, it’s not that that. Then what is it? Maybe it’s this….”

You could also pick a single singer and just focus on them for a while, someone you like and preferably someone on the older end of the spectrum. I’d offer up Tomas Pavon as a good choice for a number of reasons:

1. He’s good.

2. He’s an essential reference point in the styles that he sang and recorded and is an important influence on later singers. You can also trace his own influences back to Torre, Mellizo, and big sister Pastora, so he can serve as a nice “ground zero” to work your way backward and forward from.

3. He recorded very little; it all fits on a single cd, about twenty tracks. Which kind of sucks, since it’d be nice if there was more stuff, but for study purposes it’s nice because it makes for an easily digestible portion, half a dozen soleares and siguiriyas, a few bulerias por solea, some granainas and other fandangos and then just a couple saetas and tonas.

So just digging into one guy like Tomas (or some other important singer who you can put into a context of influences) for a while could be a good first brick in the foundation.

You could also just start with what you already know and work from there. That “Triana, triana” tangos was, if we’re thinking of the same cante/melody, recorded by Pastora Pavon as ‘Del Color de Cera Mare’, and other times with other letras, most likely. Most tangos and tientos roads lead back to Pastora, then to Torre, and back to Mellizo and the whole Cadiz and Los Puertos area (and I think the ball might have been passed off to Chacon at some point.) There are other tangos styles like tangos de Extremadura and stuff, but I’m just talking about garden-variety “regular tangos” here.

So, you could dig into Pastora’s tangos (and tientos), of which there are plenty, with lots of hits ‘Al Guguru,’ etc. , and then check out Torre, who recorded just a few, and then look into some singers from Cadiz, Aurelio Selles, La Perla de Cadiz, etc. If you keep listening to tangos and tientos from those guys after a while you’ll find that for the most part you’re just hearing a pretty small handful of melodies over and over, I don’t know how many, maybe fewer than a dozen total? That’s one advantage to focusing on something like tangos; unlike solea and siguiriyas, and fandangos, which can also be a big sprawling monster, stuff like tangos, tientos, alegrias- that stuff is relatively “small” without zillions of variants.

Speaking very generally here, of course. And focusing specifically on the Cadiz/Jerez/Sevilla triangle; as you get farther away from there you pick up more and more stuff and regional styles and it all adds up and gets unwieldy, but just sticking with core stuff from the Cadiz/Jerez epicenter, a lot of stuff ends up boiling down to a relatively small handful of melodies in each style. (I wanna point out that I don’t presume to be dishing out definitive knowledge here. I know a lot of this is above my pay grade, and I don’t pretend that I’ve got it all figured out, or that I even have a fraction of it all figured out. I’m just blabbing about stuff I’ve learned, as I learn it, so take it all with a grain of salt, and if anyone out there finds me dispensing off-base info, please set me straight!)

So, you can take that “Triana, triana” tangos, and trace that back to Pastora, and wind your way to Los Puertos and then learn, as I recently did, that that cante is attributed to a singer named Manuela “La Gitana” from Sanlucar, and along the way you hear a bunch of other stuff and hopefully pick up a few things. Listen to those older Cadiz singers and you’ll hear the same tangos/tientos melodies sung over and over.

There are any of a number of ways to set off learning this stuff. I think you just gotta start poking around, pick a place where the water doesn’t look too deep, and jump in. And this babble is all concerned with learning cante stuff in a general way. If you’re looking to accompany singers in your area you should just hit them up and find out what they sing, which is probably just a small repertoire of stuff they learned from a teacher or cribbed from recordings. No point in wood-shedding a bunch of historically important stuff if you’re just looking to accompany the one and only singer that lives in your town who stares at you blankly when you start talking about Joaquin Lacherna. You could just learn the stuff she sings and then work your way outward from there.

I don’t spend a lot of energy listening to stuff for which I don’t have letras. And it’s also nice to have CDs that clearly and SPECIFICALLY label stuff. Norman’s site is great because it breaks stuff down very specifically- not just “solea de Mellizo” but Mellizo 1, Mellizo 2, etc. Diego Clavel has a handful of encyclopedic double CDs dedicated to solea, siguiriyas, cantes de levante, and fandangos de Huelva where each cante is labeled by authorial style, but you just get “solea de Joaquin el da La Paula” and are left to your own devices to determine which of the four styles attributed to La Paula is being sung at a given moment. The Magna Antologia is a nice ten or twelve disc resource with tons of stuff that’s labeled by author or region. But again, it’s a little less detailed in the labeling. Each track will just be labeled “solea de whoever or wherever” and you’ll have to figure out on your own what each cante is. Which is fine, because you have to do some homework to figure stuff out, but in general I find it very helpful to have as much stuff as possible that’s accurately and specifically labeled to serve as a reference to fall back on. Then you can quiz yourself when hearing stuff that’s generically labeled, compare it to what you know, see what’s what. I like to know WHAT I'm listening to in as much detail as I can find. These days I try to mostly listen to stuff that falls somewhere within the wheelhouse of what I already know, working my way out...

Anyway, that’s a lot of blah blah. Take it for what it’s worth. Bottom line advice is to just pick a few things and focus all your efforts on them. Don’t try to take it all in at once and end up overwhelming yourself; it’ll just lead to frustration and a stilted learning process. Unless your a preternaturally gifted wiz at this stuff. Take it slow, cante by cante.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 23:26:50

srshea

This blog is a real nice resource. Lots of audio clips, letras, context, olde time pics. Even if your Spanish isn't up to snuff there's still plenty of useful info to be gleaned from this.

The current initial page is some pretty basic beginner stuff about just getting your ear around basic styles, but if you dig deeper, or clink on the cante names on the right, you'll find a lot of in-depth stuff. There's a nice study of Mairena's soleas back there somewhere.

http://iniciacionalflamenco.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 0:03:29

Leñador

quote:

pitch your tent there for a while. There are any of a number of campsites to pick:

I like that analogy a lot, clicked something in my brain.....

Thanks heaps srshea, I'm going to assume everything you said is pretty well on point as it seems to "jive" with what I've heard in the past about cante. The way you state it though felt more understandable, if your not a teacher you should be, felt like you "broke it down" really well. I know there is singers here in LA but seems like they're all pros that would want to sell me a lesson more then just "jam". I have great guitar teacher and have been playing for a dance class for about a year so I feel like I've got a solid base and am finally ready to knock on the door of cante accompaniment. Anyways, great post man, I really appreciate it!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 0:45:38

srshea

quote:

I know there is singers here in LA but seems like they're all pros that would want to sell me a lesson more then just "jam"

Yeah, I know that drill. Still might be worth doing now and then. Sometimes you have to literally pay your dues and kinda buy your way into a scene. People might be a little more loose with the free stuff once you’ve floated some cash their way and shown that you're serious about this stuff. And those pros and more experienced singers might have some students to match you up with.

I may be mistaken, but I think Jesus Montoya can play guitar pretty well himself, so hitting up a guy that who can sing and who knows accompaniment would be lesson money well spent.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 2:41:20

Leñador

Jesus Montoya......He's got a 562 area code on his website, I may have to pay to play, fair nough........

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 6:27:33

zata

Being a journalist, I get a lot of messages asking for guidance or suggestions. For cante accompaniment I always urge people to hook up with any flamenco singer, it doesn't need to be a professional...just someone who can sing the basic cantes. Then jam with that person on a regular basis, ideally a couple of times a week. Listen to recorded cante together if necessary and learn together.

Another important first step is to separate the immense fandango family from everything else. All fandangos have the same basic structure, and once you peel away the creative harmonies, artistic embellishments and passing chords, the same accompaniment (with only some extremely rare exceptions). Get that out of the way, and half the work is done...fandangos de Huelva, fandangos naturales, malagueñas, cante minero, granaínas, the whole abandolao sub-family....that's a lot of cante that gets "taken care of" once you learn the structure of fandangos which, unlike most other cantes, are extremely predictable.

Always try to pay attention to the verse, even if you don't know Spanish...the repetitions of lines and words are an important clue to where you are in the verse, and many classic verses are permanently linked to specific styles...if a singer por siguiriyas launches into "Eran dos días...", you know exactly what to expect for the next few minutes, and you know it's probably the end of the set, so get ready to unleash the thunder.

I don't recommend Norman's site, which is more for people who already know cante. There are omissions, inclusions and errors that are bound to confuse beginners.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 9:12:31

srshea

RE: Must know cante (in reply to zata

quote:

many classic verses are permanently linked to specific styles..

Hey, Estela

I just started a thread called 'Cante Top 200 Master List'. If you care to toss a few of these standards into the mix, it'd be great to get a cantaora's input.

Thanks!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 9:24:18

zata

RE: Must know cante (in reply to srshea

I took a quick look... "Ay mi muchacho", although recorded as "rondeña", is actually the prototype taranto....definitely not a taranta.

Beyond that, the idea is interesting...but it looks like one of these things that by the time you absorb it, it would have been easier to go directly to any recording.

For one thing, singers have been making a big effort for the last couple of decades to avoid classic verses and record only new ones. Personally I much prefer about two-thirds classic verses and no more than one third original...the classic ones tend to be perfect jewels, while new ones haven't stood the test of time. Nevertheless, any uninitiated person's attempt at identifying cante via the verse, is bound to lead to confusion and frustration.

I'd be more inclined to suggest consulting certain anthologies, with the global guideline of:

MAIRENA for soleá-siguiriya-tonás
FOSFORITO for everything else

Between these two, the whole universe of classic cante is neatly laid out.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 9:54:26

srshea

RE: Must know cante (in reply to zata

quote:

Beyond that, the idea is interesting...but it looks like one of these things that by the time you absorb it, it would have been easier to go directly to any recording.

Fair ‘nuff. And I do understand and am increasingly coming to accept that learning all this stuff ultimately boils down to a gradual organic absorption, but I also like to come at if from as many angles as I can, and I’m not above cheating my way to a bit of knowledge. Got a lot of catching up to do, and I’ll try anything once!

I’ve picked up a lot from people’s mentions of specific recordings, specific letras here on the Foro, all the little breadcrumb clues scattered throughout the archives. One clue leads me here, one clue leads me there, and sometimes the clues converge and bring me to a lightbulb moment. So, all the little lists and such, it’s all, for me at least, grist for the mill. But thanks for your input!

I scanned over the Fosforito/PdL Seleccion Antologia discs when I was drawing up my list in the other thread, and I know that many of those recordings are considered to be exemplary versions of each cante, but I wasn’t sure which of those letras have “stuck”, so I didn’t include any....

By the way, speaking as a beginner, I find Norman’s site very helpful. It was overwhelming at first, but as I’ve narrowed my focus on its contents and slowly begun to work my way through it, it’s become a lifeline for me. Plenty there for people of all levels to glean.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 15:19:28

srshea

Hmn. I will award a fancy Llave de Oro to anyone who can count all the mixed metaphors in these long-winded posts of mine.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 15:24:10

mark indigo

quote:

The current initial page is some pretty basic beginner stuff about just getting your ear around basic styles, but if you dig deeper, or clink on the cante names on the right, you'll find a lot of in-depth stuff. There's a nice study of Mairena's soleas back there somewhere.

http://iniciacionalflamenco.blogspot.com/

hey, that site looks interesting, thanks for posting. i just had a quick look around, I saved the link to go back and look again.

Edit: and the "Top 200" thread looks good too, narrows it down a bit more!

Edit: but they are "whole" cantes as recorded, no? not just individual letras/verses? I thought Norman's "Top 200" was letras.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 16:06:56

mark indigo

quote:

He recorded very little; it all fits on a single cd, about twenty tracks.

about Tomas Pavon - there seem to be several issues of his stuff;

are they all the same recordings re-packaged?

or different levels of "cleaned-up"?

or are they different recordings, and if so which is better or best?

thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 16:44:00

zata

quote:

By the way, speaking as a beginner, I find Norman’s site very helpful. It was overwhelming at first, but as I’ve narrowed my focus on its contents and slowly begun to work my way through it, it’s become a lifeline for me. Plenty there for people of all levels to glean.

It’s a wonderful resource, provided you know enough to fill in the blanks and not take it too literally. In no way can it be considered an orientation, nor, I’m sure, was it ever intended to be. It’s far too schematic, giving no hint of the actual leeway singers have regarding repetitions, compás and even melodies. Everything is based on Mairena via Soler, and primarily soleá and siguiriya. There’s a vast world of cante out there, and it only seems logical to become familiar with it before dealing with arcane intricacies in such a limited perspective.

Certain omissions, as I said, will be confusing. Just this morning I noticed the siguiriya of Juanichi is dealt with, but only the Jerez version is presented. At least a footnote is required to point out that the version the vast majority of singers interpret is Fosforito’s which wanders into the major key for what some people called “cabalización”, since it sounds a lot like cabales. This is the version that has prevailed over the years since it’s very powerful.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 17:01:00
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message