Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

shape of the top of the heel block   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

suniram

shape of the top of the heel block 

Hi All,

I am wondering why the platform on the top of the heel where the soundboard will be glued on does not need to be sloped in order to match the neck angle (at least in courtnalls book this platform is left flat/horizontal).

So actually I dont understand why the neck angle is established by glueing on the back ( as i read her on the forum) and not by glueing on the top, given that the neck angle is the angle between the soundboard surface and the neck surface. In my understanding this angle is fixed when both parts are glued together. (and the same happens with the ribs - as soon as they are glued into the slots)

Wont any further movement of the neck on glueing on the back lead to a deformation of the soundboard and the ribs....or is this so littel that it can be neglected... ??????

sorry, another beginners question... :)

best regards

best regards

http://marinusbenedikt.wixsite.com/marinusbenedikt
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marinus-benedikt/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 22:54:42

estebanana

RE: shape of the top of the heel block (in reply to suniram

Interesting question and subtle. I've pitched that little table top a bit. Most of it gets worked out because you lay top with neck joined on the solera and it flexes/bends into place. But a little ramp to that ledge will not hurt.

It's mainly the back glued to the heel and edges that holds neck in place, but you can place the top a little more accurately with neck angle if you like. You only need a tiny,tiny bit of slope to the ledge to effect some change in compression. top It's such a small movement at the body neck join that the ribs seem to just fudge into place.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 23:00:41

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: suniram

Hi All,

So actually I dont understand why the neck angle is established by glueing on the back ( as i read her on the forum) and not by glueing on the top, given that the neck angle is the angle between the soundboard surface and the neck surface.
Wont any further movement of the neck on glueing on the back lead to a deformation of the soundboard and the ribs....or is this so littel that it can be neglected... ??????

The neck angle is not established by gluing on the back. It is locked into place by the back. You establish the neck angle (deflection) before the back is glued on. By ribs I assume you mean sides. If so, you are correct the sides are deformed slightly which is why you should always trace a plantilla from the top of a guitar rather than the back. The deformation of the top is minimal since that part of the top is normally rather flat and the size of the platform where the top is inlet is so small that it is unimportant.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 23:14:04

constructordeguitarras

Actually, it can be helpful to slope that platform on the front of the neck, but it's not necessary because the soundboard is very flexible just below that glue joint so it can bend to fit the solera. The back locks the angle of the neck in when it is glued on by making the whole thing not flexible any more. Don't glue the ribs into the slots: it would be a weak endgrain joint, not worth the danger of a glue mess.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2012 5:16:01

suniram

Hi All,

thanks a lot for your clarification...much appreciated

best regards

http://marinusbenedikt.wixsite.com/marinusbenedikt
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marinus-benedikt/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2012 6:38:32

constructordeguitarras

To keep the neck angle consistent from guitar to guitar I clamp the solera to a rigid straight board when gluing on the back:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2012 13:59:54
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post