Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Kevin Burke   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

Kevin Burke 

Just for those who like a different taste sometimes.
Kevin Burke has the best Sligo swing I´ve ever heard

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2012 18:27:59

rombsix

RE: Kevin Burke (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Nice cat.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2012 19:09:05

El Kiko

quote:

Just for those who like a different taste sometimes.

yeah I come across things by accident that I like and are non flamenco recently I was just listening to this , and looking at his guitar and style ....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2012 21:19:04

rombsix

RE: Kevin Burke (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

and looking at his guitar and style ....

I believe this is a gal...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2012 21:26:04

Anders Eliasson

Ronnie is cool.

Kevin Burke is not something I knew by accident. He was and still is one of my biggest heroes from 20 years before I started my interest in flamenco.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2012 22:08:26

Escribano

quote:

recently I was just listening to this

Check out West African Highlife music. I danced the night away in Ghana many times to that beat.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2012 22:30:03

Richard Jernigan

RE: Kevin Burke (in reply to Escribano

At Little Mike's on the island of Pohnpei on a Saturday night, the band had kind of a reggae lilt, but with a Pacific Island twist to the singing. Ahhh, dancing with the Pohnpeian girls and the expatriate Filipinas on warm tropical nights under the thatched roof, with the tradewind breezes drifting in through the wide doors and windows.....

Little Mike's father was the first Pohnpeian medical doctor, his mother was Samoan. Little Mike was about 6' 7" (201 cm), weighed about 300 lb (136 kg) and was all muscle. Generally, Little Mike's was a very orderly and peaceful place, even with the huge crowds and alcohol consumption on Saturday nights. The occasional disorder was rapidly suppressed.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2012 14:59:56

BarkellWH

RE: Kevin Burke (in reply to Richard Jernigan

In the early 1990s, my U.S. Foreign Service career took me to Washington, DC and an assignment in the Department of State's Office that managed our relations with the Freely Associated States (FAS): The Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), and the Republic of Palau. I traveled to Pohnpei (among other FAS capitals and Yap) several times and marvelled at the Pohnpeian and expat Filipina girls as well. Real island beauties!

On Saturday night, the then-President of Micronesia, Bailey Olter, was often at the local watering holes drinking, listening to the band, and commisserating with the locals and with officials like me. It was interesting that just that afternoon I had been discussing issues of mutual interest with him in his office, and that evening I was drinking with him and his buddies. Life in the Pacific!

Another great memory was of the place I stayed: Bob and Patti Arthur's Village Resort. It was built on high ground, and the island breezes precluded the need for air conditioning. What I remember most, though, were the Sunday brunches. Bob and Patti had as delicious Eggs Benedict as I have ever tasted.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2012 16:27:51

El Kiko

RE: Kevin Burke (in reply to rombsix

rombsix

quote:

believe this is a gal...

“Ronnie Moipolai from Kopong village in the Kweneng district 50 km west of the capitol Gaborone. He is 29 years old and goes around the shebeens selling and playing his songs for 5Pula each (80dollarcents). He learned guitar from his now late father, has 3 brothers that also play guitar.

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2012 17:25:28

guido

Hi Anderss,

I bought an instructional DVD from him for my girl to learn, she plays violin and loves Irish stuff. She now can play 2 tunes of him:-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2012 22:16:09

rombsix

quote:

“Ronnie Moipolai from Kopong village in the Kweneng district 50 km west of the capitol Gaborone. He is 29 years old and goes around the shebeens selling and playing his songs for 5Pula each (80dollarcents). He learned guitar from his now late father, has 3 brothers that also play guitar.

Whoops! Post that comment on the videos on YouTube where they also mistake him for a lass. Thanks Rico!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2012 22:27:29

Richard Jernigan

RE: Kevin Burke (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

I traveled to Pohnpei (among other FAS capitals and Yap) several times and marvelled at the Pohnpeian and expat Filipina girls as well. Real island beauties!

Another great memory was of the place I stayed: Bob and Patti Arthur's Village Resort. It was built on high ground, and the island breezes precluded the need for air conditioning. What I remember most, though, were the Sunday brunches. Bob and Patti had as delicious Eggs Benedict as I have ever tasted.

Cheers,

Bill

We used to go diving on Pohnpei fairly often, but we stayed in town to be closer to the night life. However I have fond memories of steak au poivre, giant mangrove crabs and bananas Foster at the Village.

We were five residents of Roi-Namur, the northernmost island of Kwajalein Atoll. In days of yore the residents of Roi were all bachelor males, and earned the name Roi Rats. By the time I got there a few women lived on Roi, and by the time I left it had become downright civilized.

When I got to Roi it was fashionable to have a Pohnpeian girlfriend, and to visit her from time to time. Turned out if you changed girlfriends, knife fights between the girls were more likely than not. Rats were not attacked, just the new girl friend. Pohnpeian girl friends became less fashionable.

Our first trip to Pohnpei was in about 1992. The person responsible for picking the dive operation chose Phoenix Divers for reasons he never explained satisfactorily. Phoenix was run by expat Japanese, who had watched enough World War II movies to hold their cigarettes in that funny way I never saw in Japan. The clientele were Japanese. Five Roi Rats, two Japanese couples, and two young Japanese sisters made quite a boatload.

One of the workers on the boat was a 22-year old Japanese girl who had left home at age 18 to go to Madrid to study baile flamenco. She was a real beauty in her absolutely minimal bikini. Her Spanish was notably better than her English, so to annoy one of my buddies who had a serious thing for Asian girls, I monopolized the conversation in Spanish. She was moving to Palau, and had a little time off between jobs, so I invited her to dive at Kwajalein, and we put on a little show for the folks. As far as we could determine, she was the first Japanese person to scuba dive at Kwajalein Atoll.

On the boat at Pohnpei, the Japanese divers sat in a semicircle in front of their Japanese dive guide while he briefed them, and followed him in neat single file in the water. We Rats ignored our Pohnpeian guide's briefing while fooling with our camera gear and took off in all directions in the water. Our guide fortunately had that Pacific "live and let live" attitude.

The Japanese tourists were scandalized by our anarchic behavior. Anchored for lunch one day, Mike M., who had been on his university high diving team, repeatedly climbed up on the high superstructure of the boat, and put on a show of fancy back flips, etc. while we stood at the rail and held up 8, 9 or 10 fingers when he surfaced and made comments. The Japanese watched open mouthed.

The two Japanese sisters had been all over the Pacific, were excellent divers, and swam like dolphins. They had university degrees, but worked as "office ladies" We got on familiar enough terms for me to say, "But aren't girls in Japan supposed to be married at age 25?"

"Oh, yes," was the response. "But we're afraid that if we got married, our husbands would make us stop diving."

We Rats were having dinner at the Sunset Motel, overlooking the harbor and Sokehs Rock, and sipping a few beers. Actually, quite a few beers. A lot of beers. The two Japanese couples and the sisters showed up. The sisters must have been wearing perfume, because they were immediately attacked by swarms of gigantic black moths that had been hiding in the lath ceiling.

Otherwise fearless, the sisters were panicked by the moth attack and ran about the dining room screaming. The other Japanese just stood there. Being gentlemen, we Rats leapt to the rescue, resulting in overturned tables, a broken chair or two....well, you get the idea.

Little Mike's was in town, so he had to close up at midnight. We piled into the rental car and went to the out-of town after-midnight place. There was a cute little Filipina girl who kept walking past our table, glancing our way, while the Filipino guys gave us the stink eye.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I asked the Filipina girl if she wanted to dance. She and three of her girlfriends ended up sitting at our table, while we Rats received much worse stink eye from the Filipino guys.

All the girls swore they had no boyfriends, brothers, cousins, uncles or any such person among the guys glaring at us. All the same, I was a bit concerned as we made our way to the parking lot at closing time.

Sure enough, in the parking lot three guys walked up to us. I was looking for knives, but each one in turn took a big roundhouse swing at us. At the end of his swing, each one fell down and was too drunk to get up. Since we experienced no further opposition, the rental car was pretty crowded on the way back to the hotel.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2012 6:07:13

Anders Eliasson

RE: Kevin Burke (in reply to guido

quote:

Hi Anderss,

I bought an instructional DVD from him for my girl to learn, she plays violin and loves Irish stuff. She now can play 2 tunes of him:-)

Cool. I didnt know it existed but I found it on Amazon. Thanks.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2012 13:33:44

Paul Magnussen

There was a whole VHS tape of Kevin and Micheal on the Shanachie label, utterly brilliant; but now it's deleted, and they've never reissued it on DVD.

The asking price on Amazon US is nearly $1,000.

Glad I've got my copy. Now all I have to do is convert it to DVD

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2012 18:22:58
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote