Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

kudo

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV (in reply to rombsix

quote:

I spent one month in Spain few years ago, and had prepared with some basic Spanish a couple of weeks before going there, and received several comments by Spaniards that "Wow - you sound like you're actually Spanish!" Again - no flaunting intended, but I stand by my original viewpoint.

actually when i first learned basic japanese when i was a kid, and talked to my japanese friends (who are no longer here), i had the same reaction,and when my brother continued learning the language (he is now fluent in japanese) and when he went to japan he actually got INTO trouble for speaking japanese so well, that a police officer thought he was living in japan for so long as an illegal immigrant for him to be speaking so well, and the officer could not believe that he studied outside japan and could yet speak it like them (accent and pronunciation)

now that I am speaking basic spanish, my mexican and spanish friends here are telling me that I do sound like a native spanish speaker.

however whats funny is that some canadians here have noticed that I HAVE some kind of NON-CANADIAN ENGLISH ACCENT, BUT THEY CANT DETERMINE where its from, because its neither western nor eastern. so they end up asking me where i am from for that PARTICULAR reason, however, most canadians say that I have a canadian english accent.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2011 2:30:58

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: rombsix

No problem my friend.

:O)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2011 12:24:52

Richard Jernigan

quote:

If you listen to Mark speaking in Spanish as per the above video, you would directly realize that he is English or American. However, if I were to learn Spanish properly and speak it, I would sound much more like a native than Mark. No disrespect to Mark or English/American folk, and no pompousness intended or conveyed (hopefully). As an example, I spent one month in Spain few years ago, and had prepared with some basic Spanish a couple of weeks before going there, and received several comments by Spaniards that "Wow - you sound like you're actually Spanish!" Again - no flaunting intended, but I stand by my original viewpoint.

Cheers!

That's weird. My native language is definitely American English, but when I'm in Spain people say I sound like a Mexican!

...which is about like being told by a "properly speaking" Englishman that you sound Australian...

People in Costa Rica, Argentina, Peru, etc. similarly identify my accent as Mexican. I learned Spanish as a child in the home of educated Mexican Americans in South Texas, where 90% of people speak Spanish at home. The people whose house I spent time in were descendants of Spanish colonists of Nuevo Santander, on both sides of what is now the border between Texas and Mexico.

People in Mexico say, "You speak quite clearly," but seldom, if ever, say I sound like a Mexican.

The Israeli proprietor of a dive shop in Palau, who had spent time in some Spanish speaking country and spoke Spanish with an accent unique in my experience, said I spoke like a gringo!

[No offense intended to Spaniards, Mexicans, Costa Ricans, Argentinians, Peruvians, Israelis, English people, Australians, Americans nor natives of Papua New Guinea and Irian Jaya]

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2011 18:15:37

Ricardo

quote:

For Arabs, it is easier, because our language has so many different sounds and characters involved that if we speak another language, it is less difficult for us to get it to sound like the natives.

You mean EXCEPT for American English??? Just kidding.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2011 19:18:17

rombsix

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

You mean EXCEPT for American English??? Just kidding.

Listen to Kudo speaking.

PS: there are some dialects of American English that I am quite satisfied I don't sound like.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2011 19:28:30

Ruphus

quote:

PS: there are some dialects of American English that I am quite satisfied I don't sound like.

I love the round intonation of the Californian colloquial.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

People in Mexico say, "You speak quite clearly," but seldom, if ever, say I sound like a Mexican.

RNJ

I was told in San Jose that Costa Rican was the clearest of all Spanish, and best understood throughout the Iberian world.

I found it very interesting to hear, that a language can develop clearer / higher outside of its origin.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2012 12:55:25

Richard Jernigan

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV (in reply to Ruphus

Spanish speakers, or at least Mexicans will understand that "Hablas muy claro" is often a "left-handed compliment." That is, it may be meant a bit ironically, as in, "How surprising. You don't sound like an idiotic gringo."

On TV, many years ago, there used to be a man who could bark like a dog in many different languages. There was no mistaking the English dog barking, the Spanish, the French, the Italian, the German....but as I recollect, he didn't do different dialects of the same language. Would have been a hoot to hear a Cockney dog and a Lanky dog, or a Mexican dog and an Andaluz dog.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2012 21:36:59

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

I was told in San Jose that Costa Rican was the clearest of all Spanish, and best understood throughout the Iberian world.

I found it very interesting to hear, that a language can develop clearer / higher outside of its origin.

Ruphus

...but would they say the same in Salamanca?

This reminds me of taking some friends on a London boat tour down the Thames from Westminster Stairs to Greenwich. The tour guide/announcer proudly spoke pure Cockney. As we passed the Billingsgate Fish Market, notorious for the Cockney profanity of the fishwives, he said over the P.A.

"Lydies 'n gint'lemen, onna lef' is 'a Billingsgyte Fish Market, ve on'iest plyce on 'a fyce of ve Earf where ve English langwidge is correc'ly spoke."

[Translation: "Ladies and gentlemen, on the left is the Billingsgate Fish Market, the only place on the face of the Earth where the English language is correctly 'spoke'."]

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2012 1:06:12

BarkellWH

quote:

Having served for three years in Santiago, Chile, and for a considerable period in Bogota, Colombia, and with a pretty good knowledge of Spanish and its develpment, I would say that most linguists consider the Spanish spoken in certain areas of Colombia as the purest Spanish spoken today: That is, the Spanish closest to the Spanish spoken at the time of Spain's conquest of the Americas in the 16th century. This makes sense, as the Spanish spoken in the Metropolitan center (Spain and Madrid) changes the most, while the Spanish spoken in the outlying areas of the former empire changes the least, particularly in remoter areas. It is an intersting phenomenon found in most languages, but particularly in Spanish.

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2012 2:14:59

El Kiko

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

..but would they say the same in Salamanca?

not Salamanca but always people talk of Valladolid being the best Castellano . ...although they have their own mistakes...

but perhaps it may be the clearest of the south american accents..and cubans speak the fastest , you gotta be with it to catch up with some of them , especially when they're drunk ....

As to speaking 16th century Spanish , that wouldn't be clear at all , if all here used Shakespearean English I wouldn't understand zip...

so I say unto you in the BEST English ...

"A plague upon your epileptic visage!
Smile you my speeches, as I were a fool?

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2012 11:20:07

Ruphus

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV (in reply to El Kiko

Thank you for the interesting bits, guys!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rico_Kiko

Hehe, `sounds so funny!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2012 14:15:07

Richard Jernigan

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rico_Kiko

so I say unto you in the BEST English ...

Shakespeare still has the best cursing.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2012 2:21:09

at_leo_87

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV (in reply to kudo

OLE MARK! i'm so excited for you, marco churay

many congratulations from feda and i!

did zorro see this yet?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2012 4:16:25

Florian

RE: Pimientito on Spanish TV (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Congratulations amigo ! of course we are very proud of you...and this is just the beginning..

thanks for the post Kate

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2012 2:24:10
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote