Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or something else?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

odinz

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or somethin... (in reply to kudo

Also I think it is quite drastic to say that there is noone here with talent beyond greatness etc.. there are some incredible players here..

I think one great thing about this place is how humble people are, I mean Ricardo for example, reading his posts, listening to his music, its just.. Amazing, the amount one can learn, and the quality of his music, and then the sharing personality on top of that, and also alot of dedication.. And not only that, he has in my opinion, tons of reasons to even brag about himself, but he just keep showing his respect for the art, and for people who doesnt know as much as him

There are also people like Ramzi, man he shows some dedication, and love for flamenco too, contributing ALOT.

Also Richard(imij) has given me more courage in my playing and more dedication.

And there is also many others around here, contributors and extremely talented musicians and luthiers.

I just dont see how someone who plays jinglebells covers can complain about that.
Its an immense possibility to learn and ive learned more through this forum than through music school.

Noone cares about awards here, it doesnt heighten your competance, or ability.

I guess i am just playing into the post now and being silly..

Anyways, this topic was nice because i found mezzo's youtube channel, nice channel man!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2011 23:09:01

kudo

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or somethin... (in reply to Shawn Brock

i agree with Mezzo and Odinz.

also have you thought about this, he said he owned 100+ guitars in 30 years. Logically speaking, they can not be great guitars for 2 reasons: cost and time.
lets say a good guitar is at least $1000 , so assuming that he had "good guitars" as a "professional guitarist" that means he paid a total of or a minimum of $100,000 , he must be RICH! . so that means he must have had like cheap china made $100 guitars.
also about time, he sold so many guitars, its not easy to sell at least 90 used guitars that worth at least $1,000 within 30 years , its sounds impossible to me.

so conclusion is: he played cheap guitars, and again as discussed above, he could not have fully tested a flamenco guitar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2011 23:28:53

rombsix

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or somethin... (in reply to odinz

quote:

There are also people like Ramzi, man he shows some dedication, and love for flamenco too, contributing ALOT.

Gracias amigo!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2011 23:29:13

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or somethin... (in reply to rombsix

we're nice people here :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2011 23:38:08

odinz

quote:

so conclusion is: he played cheap guitars, and again as discussed above, he could not have fully tested a flamenco guitar.

I got my guitar from Anders this spring, It is still growing, and I havent come close to test it fully, testing a flamenco guitar fully means to spend the whole guitars lifetime getting to kow it closer, make it a part of you.. its a time consuming thing, like a marriage.

And Ramzi, im sorry, I wrote the sentence a little wrong, the word "some" shouldnt be in there,I watch all your videos, and around here i see your posts all the time, and you are contributing knowledge ,giving us music, teaching guitar technique while also being "The friendly neighbourhood Rombsix"

Something I really admire.

When someone says there isnt talent beyond greatness here, it makes me angry because that is so insulting, especially in this place where i see it all around. And talent is not just playing, its more about dedication to the love of the art.
talent doesnt mean awards and all that stuff.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2011 23:43:53

rombsix

quote:

And Ramzi, im sorry, I wrote the sentence a little wrong, the word "some" shouldnt be in there,I watch all your videos, and around here i see your posts all the time, and you are contributing knowledge ,giving us music, teaching guitar technique while also being "The friendly neighbourhood Rombsix"

Something I really admire.

Thanks so much my friend! You are very very kind.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 1:29:14

britguy

quote:

I have owned more than 100 guitars in my life, and can except what's good and what is bad.

We seem to have drifted far from the real purpose of this thread here.

Might I (respectfully) suggest that if you have owned and evaluated more than 100 guitars, then owning an extra three might not be too much to suggest.

As a professional musician, the cost of your instruments are most likely tax-deductible anyway, so why not buy : e.g. a Castillo; a Navarro, and 'something else' . Negra or Blanca, depending on what kind of sound and feel you're looking for (sorry, I'm no luthier).

When you have all three you can make a qualitifed choice as to which is more appropriate for your particular purpose.

In the end you'll likely want to keep all of them . . .

Good luck. . .

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 13:13:58

Ricardo

quote:

I'm also sorry that what could have been a good thread went into a childish attack on me, and that I was childish enough to respond. Again, I'm sorry about that.

I now plan to leave the foro and won't be back.

awwww.....bye bye.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 14:17:08

kudo

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or somethin... (in reply to britguy

quote:

I have owned more than 100 guitars in my life, and can except what's good and what is bad.

I forgot to mention, it sounds to me as if its someone bragging of sleeping with 100 women in 30 years, LLOOOOLLLL!!! He knows her for 1 night before he dumps her

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 16:04:12

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Speaking of the numbers:
I also know a few other things. I know that Salvador works some long hours. A friend who has visited him 4/5 times talked about Salvador working until as late as 9:00 at night. This friend is an American luthier of note, and gets over $6000 each for his instruments. He makes 1 instrument a month, and that is it. He also does a lot of repairs and set-ups during a months time. At this point he has built over 200 instruments, and has reported to me that he could in fact build a guitar in a week if he buckled down, and this would be also while he continued his repairs and set-ups. This is not taking time for finishing though... My experience with various other American luthiers has been about the same...

Another thing that this luthier has reported to me about Salvador is the fact that he works smart. He said that Salvador would spend days where he would only cut tops and so on. He said that Salvador would polish guitars 2/3 at a time, and he would have a 3/ 5 day period of the month where that's all he would do. While waiting for the finish to cure, he would be starting on more instruments. After the finish was cured he states that Salvador would apply the tap, string it up, and go through with final fret dressing, intonating, and some fine voicing/ sanding of braces.

When I asked my luthier friend as to why he didn't operate this way and crank out more instruments he said, "I don't have to. I like to work when I want to work. If that means I don't work on a guitar for a few days that's fine. I can afford to take days off, or work short days with the prices I get for a guitar."

If a person only wants to make 12 or so guitars a year, I for one see nothing wrong with that, but that don't mean that a person couldn't build more if he wanted to.

I could also double up my production, but it would be poorer quality guitars. And thats not specially interesting

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 17:04:21

gounaro

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or somethin... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

I could also double up my production, but it would be poorer quality guitars. And thats not specially interesting

How about your waiting list in this period Anders?

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 17:18:38

HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: kudo

I forgot to mention, it sounds to me as if its someone bragging of sleeping with 100 women in 30 years, LLOOOOLLLL!!! He knows her for 1 night before he dumps her

my friend did hit 200.. and I trust him.. lol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 21:03:57

[Deleted] (in reply to odinz

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 21:49:13

avimuno

quote:

About six months ago I had a 100 guitars. I even built an addition onto my house to store them all. Several Bernal's, Ricardo Sanchis, Conde Hermanos from the 70's, 80's, 90's and brand new, Stephen Faulk, Anders Eliason, Andy Culpepper, Robert Ruck, Castillos, Navarros and Peter Tsiorba........and then I woke up from my deep sleep and remembered I only have a cheap Yamaha and my baby(not my wife) a 2011 HSL.....Where did my other guitars go???? #*U@#*#....it was just a dream....

I would say that a good HSL is worth more than 100 other guitars!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 23:16:21

HolyEvil

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or somethin... (in reply to avimuno

quote:

ORIGINAL: avimuno

quote:

About six months ago I had a 100 guitars. I even built an addition onto my house to store them all. Several Bernal's, Ricardo Sanchis, Conde Hermanos from the 70's, 80's, 90's and brand new, Stephen Faulk, Anders Eliason, Andy Culpepper, Robert Ruck, Castillos, Navarros and Peter Tsiorba........and then I woke up from my deep sleep and remembered I only have a cheap Yamaha and my baby(not my wife) a 2011 HSL.....Where did my other guitars go???? #*U@#*#....it was just a dream....

I would say that a good HSL is worth more than 100 other guitars!!!

what about your Blackshear Reyes?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2011 19:54:41

avimuno

quote:

what about your Blackshear Reyes?

Hahaha.... To me, it's better than the HSL I used to own!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2011 20:35:03

Anders Eliasson

RE: Castillo or Navarro, or somethin... (in reply to gounaro

quote:

How about your waiting list in this period Anders?

Pretty short, about 5 month

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2011 21:34:39
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll